Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

Are we going to use FAR in the future? Because I want to design a better plane and FAR can make a difference on how to build the best plane.

I won't be. Read the tournament rules of the next one.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry about not doing any matches. Was waiting for the firestorm to cool down. But I assure you, the final matches are going to have some intense action.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my next tournament will be using wing clipping rules that aren't too restrictive, but will stop insanity like the FA33.

So, it will be more free, but stopping unfairness. Also, I am going to wait till the release of 1.1. The panther engine is mandatory.

I envision a Top Gun AI Pro ruleset which embraces FAR and a few mods (especially procedural parts, and some engines and cockpits) to take plane design to the next level. It'll also make extensive use of radar - no more 360 degree pilot visibility, and might introduce air to ground as part of the setup conundrum - take out the radar and blind the enemy, or concentrate on air superiority regardless of radar?

I'll need a new machine to run it, which might take a few weeks.

I'm a bit surprised Little Buster only won 1/5 rounds. In my testing had been more like 40% win rate, mostly just based on who fails to dodge a missile.

On the bright side, I bet the Little Buster, Hummingbird, and Golden Hawk would tear up the competition Scott Manley was considering putting on (depending on what rules he uses).

I've been using the CF-86 as a test bed for new designs. It was supposed to be the target.....unfortunately it ends up decimating my newer designs. I guess it gets P-ed off.

I'm a bit surprised Little Buster only won 1/5 rounds. In my testing had been more like 40% win rate, mostly just based on who fails to dodge a missile.

On the bright side, I bet the Little Buster, Hummingbird, and Golden Hawk would tear up the competition Scott Manley was considering putting on (depending on what rules he uses).

The goldenhawk will be entering that!

I can't help but notice that a lot of weapons don't have any point cost, such as the Howitzer, Chain Gun, and Rocket Pods. Does this imply you can attach an infinite amount of these weapons to your aircraft?

Also, what does the ECM jammer do? Related, can you attach multiple radars to your aircraft, and if so, do they provide any benefit?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ruciv5gwixju8n/AABmDCtbM8OZYqoccVQr12fBa?dl=0

I made a series of planes, this picture is of the first one that could fly.

http://imgur.com/nKygxYO

This is of the most successful variation of the final version.

http://imgur.com/YMTvrKy

If Alphasus would consider adding it to his tournament, I would much appreciate it as I'd love to see my planes in action against others so I can improve them. You're welcome to use these planes however you like, modify or take inspiration from them. I included all twenty developmental versions, so you can see the development cycle. The only difference between the M versions and the normal ones is that the landing gear has been moved back to prevent the plane from smashing its own engines off, which it has an unfortunate habit of doing, the Vernorless versions are self explanatory. The named ones, Heavy, Light M, Heavy - Vernorless etc. are the final editions, and the ones I'd like to be added to the competition.

I'm aware the Heavy M is over the part limit of 125 by fifteen parts, if this is completely unacceptable then please use Heavy - Vernorless M, though I'd much rather have the former submitted than the latter. The second plane which would make an excellent addition to the tournament is the Light version, not M, not Vernorless, just Light.

I am aware of the waiting list. Thanks for your consideration.

EDIT: Please turn on the RCS, the plane doesn't fly correctly without it. It should be turned on at the same time as guard mode. I also can not determine how to adjust the guard mode settings in the editor, but they should be set to 1/360/3500 before flight, same as the FA-33.

Edited by CreativeCombat

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ruciv5gwixju8n/AABmDCtbM8OZYqoccVQr12fBa?dl=0

I made a series of planes, this picture is of the first one that could fly.

http://imgur.com/nKygxYO

This is of the most successful variation of the final version.

http://imgur.com/YMTvrKy

If Alphasus would consider adding it to his tournament, I would much appreciate it as I'd love to see my planes in action against others so I can improve them. You're welcome to use these planes however you like, modify or take inspiration from them. I included all twenty developmental versions, so you can see the development cycle. The only difference between the M versions and the normal ones is that the landing gear has been moved back to prevent the plane from smashing its own engines off, which it has an unfortunate habit of doing, the Vernorless versions are self explanatory. The named ones, Heavy, Light M, Heavy - Vernorless etc. are the final editions, and the ones I'd like to be added to the competition.

I'm aware the Heavy M is over the part limit of 125 by fifteen parts, if this is completely unacceptable then please use Heavy - Vernorless M, though I'd much rather have the former submitted than the latter. The second plane which would make an excellent addition to the tournament is the Light version, not M, not Vernorless, just Light.

I am aware of the waiting list. Thanks for your consideration.

I can send you videos of results against the planes that are in the finals, but unfortunately the tournament has already started, so you are unable to participate. Those are very unique planes, and I would like to see how they do. I will accept the Heavy M because the 125 part count limit is to stop 250 parts running while I record. You will see fights with the CK-232, Little Buster, FA-33 and F-9. Take what information you will.

Here's my entries for the next round(s) of the tournament(s) , my line of fighters!

ojVpPrl.png

From right to left we have the Nodachi, the Claymore, the Shuriken abd the Katana.

Here are the craft files:

Nodachi: 6x AIM-120, 2x Vulcan (hidden), 2x Ammo Box, 2x Flares, 4x Chaff (60pts.)

Claymore: 4x AIM-120, 2x Vulcan (hidden), 2x Ammo Box, 4x Flares, 5x Chaff (60pts.)

Shuriken: 2x Aim-120, 2x AIM-9, 2x Vulcan (hidden), 2x Ammo Box, 2x Flares, 6x Chaff (60pts.)

Katana: 2x Aim-120, 2x AIM-9, 2x Vulcan (hidden), 2x Ammo Box, 4x Flares, 3x Chaff (60pts.)

Edited by [ Jeremy ]

I can record it right now if you give me a link to the craft files, and the hyperedit coordinates to drop them at. I'll dropbox the .avi file as well so that we can have the whole tournament on your channel. On a related note, would anyone be interested in running a new tournament after the conclusion of this one? I can host.

I just record round 31, uploading the video now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually had to film this round twice; I screwed up the recording process and lost the footage the first time. The first, non-canonical, match came down to a 2-win-all sudden-death. Little Buster fired off a hail-mary missile volley whilst tumbling through the air with both tail fins and rudders shot off to win the match.

Here is the footage of the second take of this match. F-9 Hummingbird wins 3-2. It took rounds 1, 4, and 5.

*When the Little Busters nose is destroyed and the canards mysteriously remain attached, this is because they were attached to the cockpit and shifted forward with the offset tool.*

Edited by Zixor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.