Windows users rejoice.

regex

Nothing new, this was public knowledge since they started working on the U5 upgrade.

It was known that 64-bit support would probably be coming back. It was also mentioned that it would probably be later on, not right away.

So this announcement is new.

I'm hoping that they don't release 32-bit versions. Let's just dive all-in and get everything working on 64-bit.

Otherwise I fear that it will be a repeat of last time:

"Yay 64 bit"

"Oh poop, 32-bit works better"

"We'll just use 32-bit until they get that fixed"

The fly in the ointment there is that Squad have existing customers using 32-bit OSes.
It was confirmed. Added a quote to my previous post as a proof.
sal_vager is not a Squad employee.

I would be looking forward to 64-bit, if I didn't have a 32-bit machine.

I would be upgrading my machine, if I had the money.

Well, at least you can join us Linux users in looking forward to Unity 5. :)

I'm gonna be jaded and not believe it works until I actually get my hands on a stable win64 build that doesn't fall apart once memory usage goes above 4Gb and is fine with memory being churned by the game and plugins for a few hours of playing. Trust but verify and all that. I hope it works, but previous experience has taught me not to hype or expect anything.

I'm gonna be skeptical until it releases and the community gets a chance to test the crap out of it. But I'm really, really hoping its stable. Not having to worry about being close to the limit, despite not even using any heavy part mods, is going to be wonderful.

It's worse than that here. We have the forums, facebook, twitter, reddit, the Orbiter forums (that's right, they announce things on forums for a game that isn't even theirs) and another forum you can only access if you pay for it (can't remember the name).

SomethingAwful is the place you're thinking about. As far as I know that is, by far, the best source of official information about KSP. Little tidbits and updates on the little things people really care about (ie, not generic fluff updates about office remodelling, but rather things like sneak peeks into upcoming models, game mechanics, etc) are posted there all the time, even stuff that never ever reaches any other form of announcement. Why? Who knows, but that forum is also the source of Scott Manley's power.

SomethingAwful is the place you're thinking about. As far as I know that is, by far, the best source of official information about KSP. Little tidbits and updates on the little things people really care about (ie, not generic fluff updates about office remodelling, but rather things like sneak peeks into upcoming models, game mechanics, etc) are posted there all the time, even stuff that never ever reaches any other form of announcement. Why? Who knows, but that forum is also the source of Scott Manley's power.
Pay your ~tenbux~ and gain access to Squad insider info. Seems legit.

awww shucks :( only for people with more than 4 gigs of RAM then ?

Realistically, more than 5GB. Even in 32-Bit, the game uses 4 and the OS uses around a GB by itself (really a little less but depends on what else you have running). That said, RAM usually comes in powers of 2 so it would be rare to have 5 GB.

I really hope it is much better than the current Win64 Community hack. I set up a modded install of it that runs a bit over 5GB of RAM, which is awesome, but there are glitches. Not outright crashes, just little frustrations like icons disappearing, parts going missing from the editor lists, and funkiness with mouse clicks in apps other than KSP when it is running and afterwards (seriously).

I really hope it is much better than the current Win64 Community hack. I set up a modded install of it that runs a bit over 5GB of RAM, which is awesome, but there are glitches. Not outright crashes, just little frustrations like icons disappearing, parts going missing from the editor lists, and funkiness with mouse clicks in apps other than KSP when it is running and afterwards (seriously).

I honestly don't think they'd be releasing it, after pulling it for only one version, if they didn't have confidence it was not going to be chaos.

I should say core instead of thread

- - - Updated - - -

Stupid mobile site

For all intents and purposes, same difference. Multiple cores run concurrent threads, the only difference is multi-threading is controlled by the programmer while multi-core is handled by the framework. Multi-threading is improved by multi-core but can be done on a single core too. If you personify it, it becomes a little easier to understand. This is an over simplification.

Imagine you are the CPU, and I'm the Hard Drive, and since he posted last, Avera9eJoe is the RAM. You (CPU) have an office, it has a desk, you can handle one thing at a time. Avera9eJoe (RAM) has an office across the hall, he can hold lots of things but doesn't know what to do with them. Me (Hard Drive), well I live 20 miles down the road and if I'm an HDD and not an SDD, I'm also an 80 year old man with filing cabinets.

Single Core - Single Thread

You have two tasks to do, a high priority and a low priority. You need a piece of data from me to complete processing the high priority task. You send word to me that you need it, but I have to get it you and that takes time. So you sit and wait till I get there and then complete the task and move onto the low priority task.

Single Core - Multiple Thread

You have two tasks to do, a high priority and a low priority. You need a piece of data from me to complete processing the high priority task. You send word to me that you need it, but I have to get it you and that takes time. So you walk across the hall and give the current progress of the high priority task to Avera9eJoe. You go back to your office and start working on the low priority task. When I arrive, you go back across the hall and drop off the progress on the low priority task, pick up the high priority task, take it back and complete it. You then retrieve the low priority task and complete it as well, but it was partially completed already so it took less time.

Multiple Core - Multiple Thread

You have two tasks to do, a high priority and a low priority. Your clone is sitting next to you waiting to complete the low priority task while you work on the high priority task. If you end up waiting on me again, there is probably a 3rd task waiting as well, and if your clone has to wait on me, well there is likely a 4th.

So what is the catch? Well, if you complete part of the first task and start working on the second task (or third or fourth), and the second task changes a variable the first task used, well now all the calculation the first task did is wrong. This is called thread safety. Threads have to be isolated, they can't talk across to another thread. This is where your 1 ship 1 thread/core comes in. The physics calculations for one joint may be affected by another joint, if that joint wobbled than the next joint would move too. So having those be multi-threaded would be hard to do, if not impossible. However, threads can be anything, anything at all as long as they can be isolated. So while one thread/core may be handling the physics, another could be handling the lighting on that craft, and another could be handling the deployment animation of the antenna (which I don't think is affected by physics?).

So what does this all boil down to? Well it depends on how isolated things can be as to whether there will be a performance improvement. Since physics are the bulk of lag (at least I think so) we might not see a huge improvement on a single craft. Though simply freeing up the core of mundane tasks to perform those physics calculations could speed it up. As you said, multiple craft could be able to be isolated into multiple threads since their physics in space shouldn't affect each other (unless they collide). The truth is I have no idea how KSP or Unity is programmed, so only time will tell, but I suspect there will be at least some noticeable improvement, even on a single craft.

Edited by Alshain