How much RAM do you have?  

407 members have voted

1. 1. How much RAM do you have?

• 4 GB
    • 8 Gb
    • 16 Gb
    • 32 Gb
    • 64+ Gb

I'm running 2GB ECC RAM on an aging core2duo 3.0ghz former WX4600 HP Workstation..

Using a GTX260 card that somehow runs flawlessly..

Never upgraded the ram because its a specific type it needs.. hard to come by.. easier to just buy another PC soon

I used to use windows.. the 2gb ram would make it crash if I didnt delete the ugly mark3 stuff I never used..

Since switching to linux. first ubuntu then linux mint now ElementryOS distribution.. everything runs beautifully..

I have 7 mods running including my own diesel electric engines with custom sounds.. happily using both a joystick and an xbox steering wheel

I was going to post something I noticed recently on Amazon when upgrading but it seems it's no longer on sale

a one gig stick of internal ram for the bargain price of $10,000

nope I'm not joking, and it wasn't a misprint.

but if you go onto Amazon and search for Ram with the filter set to High To Low, you'll see plenty of other examples of seemingly low to average memory for mind boggling prices.

I have no idea who that stuff is aimed at when you can buy a top of the range gaming PC for less price than a single 1gig or 100meg stick, does that stuff really sell?

I was going to post something I noticed recently on Amazon when upgrading but it seems it's no longer on sale

a one gig stick of internal ram for the bargain price of $10,000

nope I'm not joking, and it wasn't a misprint.

but if you go onto Amazon and search for Ram with the filter set to High To Low, you'll see plenty of other examples of seemingly low to average memory for mind boggling prices.

I have no idea who that stuff is aimed at when you can buy a top of the range gaming PC for less price than a single 1gig or 100meg stick, does that stuff really sell?

that's nothing, I found a $50,000 dollar kit.

I think they're hoping somehow someone will come along and actually buy it, or they are trying to generate fake reviews. (for extremely overpriced things they can be quite hilarious)

Really? And this is with KSP 1.X? Sorry I have a hard time believing it because intels run KSP better than amd. I had no issues pre-1.x doing the same, but post-1.x had a huge performance hit and is noticeably laggy at 300 parts but still playable.

Pay attention to how many TSR's your compuer is running and pay attention to known bugs and quirks of KSP .. Since upgrading to Windows 10 I've been essentially lag free and have yet to crash the program

Eg .. reverting back to the spaceplane hanger while on the runway will crash the game so if you need to revert back for some reason you need to get whatever is on the runway to move about 1 rockomax large fuel tank length down the runway and it won't crash when you revert

TSR's have been a non-issue since Windows XP... Those were DOS problems using old config.sys and autoexec.bat files which are long gone(I'm an old-school/new-school cp/cpa/administrator). And I've been running Windows 10 for well over a month, and I know hardware which is why I know how much the new version is crippling. Lets put it this way, I made assembler programs for the z80. If you don't know what assembler or the z80 is, then i won't bother explaining how I've been in the software/hardware game far too long lol

Edited by xtoro

Voted for 16GB, but that only counts for the new system I'm building. It's fully assembled except for the two GTX 970's I'm going to get for it.

The one I use right now has 6GB installed, of which the BIOS recognizes 4GB. Memory configuration is three matched sticks of Mushkin brand 2GB DDR3 (PC3-10700).

Story for how I can have RAM installed but not recognized, AND the computer still boots:

I had a PSU failure a couple years ago (uneventful, it seemed to have died quietly).

Got a new PSU and it seemed to work exactly as well as it had, so I didn't think anything of it. However, when I upgraded to Win7 x64 (from WinXP x32), I still had 4GB recognized when I should have had 6. It still worked, so I didn't really think about what caused it until now. My theory at the time was that it was some value in the BIOS config was incorrectly set, but now I think it's almost certainly a bad RAM stick. As for the reason a bad RAM stick didn't make my computer fail to boot? Apparently the triple-channel memory controller integrated into the i7-920 Bloomfield (LGA1366) I'm running is capable of failing gracefully by switching to 2-channel operation in the event of a problem with one of the memory channels. IIRC, the new quad-channel memory controllers used in the newer Intel processors can do something similar, which is good news because that's exactly what my new system is using.

TSR's have been a non-issue since Windows XP... Those were DOS problems using old config.sys and autoexec.bat files which are long gone(I'm an old-school/new-school cp/cpa/administrator). And I've been running Windows 10 for well over a month, and I know hardware which is why I know how much the new version is crippling. Lets put it this way, I made assembler programs for the z80. If you don't know what assembler or the z80 is, then i won't bother explaining how I've been in the software/hardware game far too long lol

Hehe, I used to write with an assembler for the Z80, sometimes I`d go in and write machine code by hand if it was a small program.

Hex editors FTW

Upgraded from 4 to 8GB today. Entire PC, and especially KSP, runs a lot smoother.

And before people start screaming: 'But KSP is 32bit and can't use more than 3.8GB' I know, all true. But it still does help on win7 64bit. KSP might not be able to use anything over 3.8GB other programs can. Background programs like virus scanner, drivers and win7 itself no longer compete with KSP for the 3.8GB it CAN use.

Hehe, I used to write with an assembler for the Z80, sometimes I`d go in and write machine code by hand if it was a small program.

Hex editors FTW

Sweet. On a side note, if you can write code for the Z80, you can write flash cart programs for the old Nintendo gameboys or their emulators. Made a few myself for fun :)

/offtopic

32, and I intend of upping to 64the moment a stable 64-bit KSP built is released. I already have the funds put aside, and I need to upgrade to win7 professional as well (my version caps at 16, but w/e at the moment).

Going to run this thing with all the mods I wanted AND those shiny 8megs textures for each planet in RSS.

32, and I intend of upping to 64the moment a stable 64-bit KSP built is released. I already have the funds put aside, and I need to upgrade to win7 professional as well (my version caps at 16, but w/e at the moment).

Going to run this thing with all the mods I wanted AND those shiny 8megs textures for each planet in RSS.

Why on earth would you need it with dds textures?!?!?!??!?!?!?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.