FAR Fighter Challenge: BD Armory AI

Is the MiK-6 the champ then? Doesn't say in the whatever you call the first post of a thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn. I've been running simulations, and this competition is startin to show serious signs of advanced insanity induced flying. That MiK better watch out!

Yeah, I didn't want to spoil the result until folks had a chance to watch the fights. It's very close, though; just removing some fuel from the Pidgey might be enough for it to retake the lead.

To keep up with the MiK-6 and F-3C, you'll want 15+G while supersonic, good airbrakes and the ability to keep control while turning hard at the edge of stall speed. With close-matched ships, it often turns into a pistol-range dogfight at less than 100m/s.

Edited by Wanderfound

BTW, question for the crowd: what do y'all think of limiting it to no more than one chaff and flare dispenser per ship, in order to give the missiles a bit more of a chance?

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing much is known about this mysterious craft, only that it looks goofy...

Lol, I'm so dead.

http://i.imgur.com/268D7YM.png

Craft file?

Finally a reason to go tinker with the design a bit. Though will probably take me while to get around to it. Most likely I'd indeed simply move some fuel around, likely remove all the missiles as well, dead weight really. (If you want missiles to be a bit more relevant, maybe force both aircraft modules to enable their radars before taking off, instead of letting them do so themselves. That tends to make them at least fire radar missiles earlier).

Heh, who knew there was such thing as too much control authority. Lol

It's all in the Dynamic Deflection settings on your elevators. Try setting them to 25% at 0kPa, gradually winding up to 100% at 40kPa.

- - - Updated - - -

So I finally came up with something I would like to enter with. Not sure how it will do, it is running basic jet engines so should be interesting to say the least.

http://i.imgur.com/AnYNuoZ.jpg

F-152

F-152

It doesn't have much of a chance against the turbojet fighters (they have missiles inbound while the basic jets are still in their takeoff climb), but I'll work up a Wheesley-only MiK for it to fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Executive decision: only one of each type of countermeasures per aircraft. It should make missiles a bit more of a threat without letting them dominate.

It's all in the Dynamic Deflection settings on your elevators. Try setting them to 25% at 0kPa, gradually winding up to 100% at 40kPa.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't have much of a chance against the turbojet fighters (they have missiles inbound while the basic jets are still in their takeoff climb), but I'll work up a Wheesley-only MiK for it to fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Executive decision: only one of each type of countermeasures per aircraft. It should make missiles a bit more of a threat without letting them dominate.

I would love to see how it does against your turbojet model.

Later I may come up with a turbojet model, but wanted to see how basic gets do, as the turbojets give it WAY to much power for its mass.

I cant get your craft to work in my install, DRE kills the pilot. LOL

Here is the download for the F-152A with turbojets.

F-152A.craft

Edited by Hodo

Holy crap what the truck did I just see! Forward swept fighter?! Damn Wanderfound.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, maybe all moving elevators are overrated.....

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, they are definitely overrated.

- - - Updated - - -

And the MiK-6 runs out of fuel. What the truck?

- - - Updated - - -

Ya know, I'm feelin sorry for the MiK, I think I'll turn on Infinite Fuel for this match...

I may also redesign one of my OLD SSTO fighters to atmospheric use only to see how it does. It turned like a truck before so I imagine it will still turn like a truck now. But it was a single engine SSTO fighter that was more than capable of doing multi-role combat aircraft duties.

As for reducing the counter measures. I would reduce it to 1 per engine on the craft. If you have 2 engines you can have 2 flare launchers and 2 chaff dispensers. 1 engine, 1 of each.

This way you are not gimping yourself with 1 engine designs any more than you already are.

And, just pause a moment. I remember my first post in this challenge, my very first post on the forums. That very entry, boy it was crap. 4G? Seriously? My SSTO's could turn better. And now, I present....

The K-18Conception!

bGD1Aam.png

Six AMRAAMS, Almost 20G turning ability, and in-flight Snacks dispenser(Lol).

Lol forgot craft file, gimme a sec

- - - Updated - - -

Here ya go! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B588M8xKv0QKbDF4SkdjSGJzeFE

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, what's up with you and MiKs?

Edited by SpaceplaneAddict

Just for an idea of what it's taking to get these turning rates:

The current version of the MiK-6 is built with the wings as far forwards as possible while keeping the stability numbers green. The leading edge slats are set at max deflection 40, -100% AoA and DD settings of 100% at all pressures (AoA response only, no control inputs). The elevators (pitch inputs) are set at 40 max deflection and +100% AoA, but with DD settings as low as 15% at 0kPa, working up in an exponential curve to 100% by 40kPa.

Edited by Wanderfound