The Highly Educated KSP Player - legends in our own minds? (Updated OP 16 January 2018)

adsii1970

• Associates of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Fire Science
    • Community College of the Air Force, the U.S. Air Force's built-in, accredited college
  • Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Computer Science
    • Dakota State University

In my current position, I'm a UI developer and database admin for a small company that does data management, websites, and marketing for auto dealers.  Used to be a firefighter both in the miltary and on the civilian side (quite a career change lol)

1 hour ago, IonStorm said:

Sure, 

• Intern: University of Houston: Houston, TX, USA (Biochemistry), 1987
  • A.B.: Occidental College:  Los Angeles, CA, USA (Biochemistry), 1991
  • Fellow: NASA Specialized Center for Research and Training in Exobiology: San Diego, CA, USA, 1992-1996
  • Ph.D.: University of California, San Diego: San Diego, CA, USA (Biochemistry), 1997
  • Post-doctoral: SETI Institute/NASA Ames: Mountain View, CA, USA (Astrophysics, astrobiology), 2002

I can give you more on current work, awards, missions, and publications if you want.

Holy god. And yet I still think grade 10-11 will be a big deal.

5 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

That's what I was saying. If I could go back to 1996, I think I would not have gone into history, but into astomechanics and aeronautical engineering myself.

@Korvath85: Any years you want to share with those degrees? :wink:

BS Physics, BS Mathematics, BS "Mathematics and Computer Science" (they didn't have a full CS degree), Hampden-Sydney College, 1993

MS Applied Physics / Optics, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1996

Currently pursuing a MS degree in Data Analytics from George Mason University

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

That's what I was saying. If I could go back to 1996, I think I would not have gone into history, but into astomechanics and aeronautical engineering myself.

@Korvath85: Any years you want to share with those degrees? :wink:

The A.A.S. was 2006-08, and the B.S. was 2012 - 14.

Doesn't make me sound *too* old.  :cool:

3 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

That was my "internship" at UH.  My 10th grade science fair project with Prof. Joan Oró at UH lead to an invitation to stay and assist his graduate students.  Introduce yourself to professionals who share your passion and demonstrate and eagerness to learn and you may be able to do the same. 

7 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

If I ever get to talk to Stephen Hawking...

Not to go off topic, but if you are serious do some research on professionals in your area, but not necessarily on TV.  See who is presenting at meetings, e.g. https://aas.orghttp://spie.org/, etc. or publishing e.g. ADS, google scholar, etc. in your area.  But only if you are serious.  Be well prepared and polite when you contact someone.

Just now, IonStorm said:

Not to go off topic, but if you are serious do some research on professionals in your area, but not necessarily on TV.  See who is presenting at meetings, e.g. https://aas.orghttp://spie.org/, etc. or publishing e.g. ADS, google scholar, etc. in your area.  But only if you are serious.  Be well prepared and polite when you contact someone.

Thank you, I'll need that very much in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2016 at 10:56 PM, Kerbin vonKerbal said:

Current state: 

- Little college education, would like to eventually earn my degree in something in the field of biology or anything space related. 

- Heavy aircraft hydraulic mechanic. 

It sounds like you might fall in our *life happened* category. Where did you go to college before life happened and what year, and a major? It helps me to organize the list, and no, no one judges on this list...

19 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

... you might fall in our *life happened* category. ...

oh their's such a list, may i submit ? xDr

- i had no(w) life until some point(s) and some others point(Zzz) in life, well it's like unity, joints and nodals to make it simple ;
- then life happened ;
- then i realised that i had no(w) life before and that after i'll get even more no(w xx xy xxy z) life ;

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it could sound weird ar first but it's not :

On 31/7/2013 at 5:32 AM, Vanamonde said:

First, you wait 383 million years to evolve fingers. Then you post 5 times. Then the forum gives you permission to customize your profile.

(ps: @vana i wonder if i grab that quote to my sig xDr because well it's inspiring somehow xDr)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

1 minute ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

oh their's such a list, may i submit ? xDr

- i had no life until some point and some others point in life, well it's like unity joint and nodal to make it simple ;
- then life happened ;
- then i realise that i had no life before and that after i have even more no life ;

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it could sound weird ar first but it's not :

Um, ok... not even sure what I should do with this...

When I first started this thread, the intention (as it remains to this day) is to encourage the younger KSP player to seek out a good, strong education. Even if they do not end up on the path they start on, to at least take the journey. The "life happened" category is for those who life simply happened while trying to reach their dreams. Just because someone gets hit by life doesn't mean they should stop living...

when i was part of the teaching team at a lower rank there (long ago and for only a year):

i remind the "sector director" told me one thing when i was hired: " you have no idea the amount of different works and jobs totally unrelated i have done before getting this one"

encouragement could be weird sometime i guess ; ) but well i get it (k)no(w) i guess ; )

Edit:

also i was working in the basement supporting all the building for two out of tree department in the said building basement , near the chemicals products storage , (wich from an architectural standpoint in fun somehow + as anecdoct there's another departement in the basement but i don't remind exactly, fun anyway as well): "water's profession" & "industrial grade for food and farming"

you know adsii intention(s) is/are one thing ; ) result(s) is/are another(s) ; )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

4 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I just earned my PhD in cell biology today!

Congrats! I remember how excited I was when I finished my Ph.D....!

Can I have the rest of your academic background and I will be happy to include you on our list! (B.S. M.S., etc) Don't forget the major, year graduated, and the university you went to...

I think I already posted earlier in the thread, but

BSc - UC Davis - Biotechnology major, Math minor: 2003-2007

MSc - Univeristät Zürich - Cell and molecular biology: 2009-2011

PhD - Université de Genève - Cell biology: 2012-2016

11 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I just earned my PhD in cell biology today!

Most excellent news, congratulations!

As for me:

- LL.B. + German minor (Glasgow) - a while ago

- ≈ LL.M. (Paris) - slightly less long ago

- ≈ LL.D. (Paris) - "life happened"

• 3 months later...

Is this thread still going? :) It's been a month already, but I have somehow managed to finish that M.Sc. (with honors) in IT (Computer Science). The title is actually "Ing.", from latin "ingenium", or "engineer", but it should be equivalent to a Masters degree in a scientific field.

Next up: Ph.D. in computer science (focused on signal processing). ETA: 4 years :)

No, it's still going. Right, @adsii1970?

Anyway, if you want to add me to the list, here's my resume:

2016: Internship with CoreAVI, Avionics software and graphics drivers

2016: Starting B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Penn State University

It'll grow, I promise!

On 4/19/2016 at 3:06 AM, Plusck said:

- LL.B. + German minor (Glasgow) - a while ago

- ≈ LL.M. (Paris) - slightly less long ago

- ≈ LL.D. (Paris) - "life happened"

Could you provide some dates...or at least ball park figures? It would help me with consistency... Also, what is L.L. and what college/university did you attend?

@Deutherius: Yup, thread is still active and updated. Congratulations on your accomplishment. Looking forward to updating your info once the Ph.D. is earned!

@The Raging Sandwich: Well, aspiring dreamer... or something like that... !

@Dman979: Yup, the thread is still going. Just has been since April that I updated it. I'll add your resume to the OP...!