The Highly Educated KSP Player - legends in our own minds? (Updated OP 16 January 2018)

adsii1970

On 19/07/2016 at 10:36 PM, adsii1970 said:

Could you provide some dates...or at least ball park figures? It would help me with consistency... Also, what is L.L. and what college/university did you attend?

LL is "laws" (plural). That's why there is no punctuation between the two Ls - it's LL.B. and LL.M. respectively.

For the dates, I'm loth to give them because I would become instantly identifiable by any self-respecting data miner if I did, so let's say 20 years ago. And the universities are Glasgow (UK) and Paris-1 (France).

Edited by Plusck

So things happened and I got accepted into Aalto University in Espoo, Finland. I'll be getting a bachelor's degree in electronics and electrical engineering - haven't decided on a master's yet but it'll probably be something space related like Nano and Radio Sciences or Space Science and Technology.

Ok, the latest rounds of updates are posted.

@Plusck: Gotcha covered!

@Creature: Congratulations on finishing the degree! Always good to hear of someone reaching their goals in real life. 

@CaptainKorhonen: Congratulations and look forward to seeing you move to a different category when you finish this degree!

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Ok, the latest rounds of updates are posted.

@Plusck: Gotcha covered!

@Creature: Congratulations on finishing the degree! Always good to hear of someone reaching their goals in real life. 

@CaptainKorhonen: Congratulations and look forward to seeing you move to a different category when you finish this degree!

You might want to remove me from the "Those planning to enter a trade school, college or university" category though :wink:

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

I'm in high school now, taking some advanced and college-level classes. I haven't decided on a degree, I'm interested in all sorts of stuff, but probably engineering of some sort with a side of entomology if possible. I plan on a trip to Mars sometime in the next few decades. There has never been an entomologist astronaut, and I can't tell whether that would help (VERY little competition as opposed to, say, geology, and insects make for a good food source in space) or hinder (almost no study of insects in space, are they really interested with what little space they have on these ships?) me in getting that (I'm not even exaggerating) one-in-a-million spot on an interplanetary spacecraft.

15 hours ago, cubinator said:

I plan on a trip to Mars sometime in the next few decades. There has never been an entomologist astronaut, and I can't tell whether that would help.

You'd be the greatest entomologist in the whole planet :wink:

Edited by monstah

BSc Comp. Sci from a university in London too long ago ( ie, the 90s ) after abandoning a BEng in Mech Eng halfway through. Looking at doing something else now, but not sure what... maybe art & design related.

Edited by Van Disaster

7 minutes ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

I plan to go to college. I might join the Marines, maybe be in the Air Wing. Or join the Air Force, but I probably suck at pulling g's. Maybe I'll fly F-16s. Or I'll teach history? I have no idea.

Go get a degree, then go fly some planes, then go to space. You can do it!

Edited by cubinator

I would really like to do something like Elon Musk, or Wherner von Braun. Designing rockets and starting programs to help people colonize space. But my school does not care about rocket science. Sooo, noooo.

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

I would really like to do something like Elon Musk, or Wherner von Braun. Designing rockets and starting programs to help people colonize space. But my school does not care about rocket science. Sooo, noooo.

You're already interested, that's the most important. Learn your math and physics while in school, keep your interest in space and you'll fund where to apply your knowledge when time comes.

Nice avatar! XD

Just now, monstah said:

You're already interested, that's the most important. Learn your math and physics while in school, keep your interest in space and you'll fund where to apply your knowledge when time comes.

Nice avatar! XD

Thanks. I actually think math is boring and hard, but still important, and by suprise, i am actually ''good'' at it.

Yes my avatar, makes me laugh all the time, you also have a nice avater :)

5 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Thanks. I actually think math is boring and hard, but still important, and by suprise, i am actually ''good'' at it.

About the "hard" part, all I say is that it's like sports: it's the repetition that gets it buried into your brain. Keep practicing and learning, and eventually you'll know your math like you know how to handle a doorknob, without even thinking.

As for boring, well, taste is taste. If you find it important and you're good at it, however, you'll probably find the motivation to keep at it, boring or not :)

2 minutes ago, monstah said:

About the "hard" part, all I say is that it's like sports: it's the repetition that gets it buried into your brain. Keep practicing and learning, and eventually you'll know your math like you know how to handle a doorknob, without even thinking.

As for boring, well, taste is taste. If you find it important and you're good at it, however, you'll probably find the motivation to keep at it, boring or not :)

Thats good what you said. I normaly study my science from the internet, not school. Wich will get a lot of technology haters suprised, but its true!

Edited by NSEP

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Wich will get a lot of technology haters suprised, but its true!

Not me! :)

Teachers are important, so are colleagues to discuss and share. But, in their absence, the internet is a pretty extensive knowledge base.

I've been away from the academic world for 4 years myself, but after giving up my Master's I decided to read into neural networks and machine learning, and have been keeping at it. There's a lot of content being published every year.

The only thing you need is a good sense of judgement, not having a mentor to guide you. There's plenty of quackery out there (as in every other area of life).

Just now, monstah said:

Not me! :)

Teachers are important, so are colleagues to discuss and share. But, in their absence, the internet is a pretty extensive knowledge base.

I've been away from the academic world for 4 years myself, but after giving up my Master's I decided to read into neural networks and machine learning, and have been keeping at it. There's a lot of content being published every year.

The only thing you need is a good sense of judgement, not having a mentor to guide you. There's plenty of quackery out there (as in every other area of life).

Thats true. I learn a handfull of things from school myself, but the internet is the place where i learn the things the most. I can do what i want, but there are still people who want to disconnect me from the knowlege pool called the internet by going outside. Going outside is important, but is not that important for the goal of my life, designing rockets and spacecraft.

I'm entering my senior year of high school, and have my private pilot certificate.  Still haven't chosen a college, but the license certainly gives me a few options.  I've been looking at nuclear engineering for a long time, but some aviation/aerospace stuff has caught my eye.

Edited by Razor235

• 2 weeks later...

I have a B.S. in Information Technology from University of Phoenix and a A.S. in Nuclear Engineering Technology from Thomas Edison State University in Trenton, New Jersey. (Both of these were external/online degrees. I've actually never spent a single day in a college classroom.)

Just found this thread! Hello everyone, and please sign me in - I've just graduated with a Master of Science in Engineering degree 2 months ago. Answering your question here @Dman979 - everything went well, thank you :)

So my entry would be: M.Sc.Eng. in Mechatronics, Wrocław University of Technology, 2016

Interesting thread (and interesting poll, for once! :D)

I've got the French equivalent of a Masters (M.Sc? M.Eng?) in Applied Geosciences and Environmental Science from Toulouse III Paul Sabatier University (graduated in 2002). But I haven't used it in more than a decade.

Life happened and I ended up being a resident expert at a space museum/theme park, then in an aviation museum where I still work today.

So, maybe a category for those who graduated, and then life happened? I guess I'm not alone...