"Plan Kappa" - A KSP graphic novel (Jeb is back in Chapter 53! Well, kinda.)

Parkaboy

2 hours ago, Alchemist said:

P. S. How long has it really been since the first flight? 2,5 years? Initial timer was 3 years, but then it got shortened quite a bit.

It's Year 3, day 80 during chapter 39, which means 2 kerbal years and 80 days have passed since the first launch, and doomsday is coming 346 days earlier.

13 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

If the explosion is centered on Kerbins orbit, than Kerbin is no longer in the center of the boom.

Kerbin just losts its barycenter which means a slight orbital change that Jeb might be able to use to his advantage.

Looking at your planet alignments @Parkaboy I wouldn't be surprised if Jeb escapes it by pointing straight up.

Of course, this is Kerbal, and planets don't have barycenters.

Yeah, it was stablished earlier that Kappa-Verse follows kerbal physics, so there's no change in Kerbin's orbit. In fact, the lack of a Mun made things harder to Jeb, since he could do a slingshot maneuver using the Mun to save some m/s of delta-v.

Funny thing is, after using the Kerbal RnD mod to improve the parts used on the Bad-S, I can't really calculate if Jeb can actually leave Kerbin's SOI. I just know he has enought to reach orbit, with a bit of fuel to spare.

25 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

It's Year 3, day 80 during chapter 39, which means 2 kerbal years and 80 days have passed since the first launch, and doomsday is coming 346 days earlier.

I'm feeling an unexpectedly sad sadness at the prospect of 'billions' of kerbs who I've never met and don't even show up as terrain scatter being wiped out. C'mon Artie, you can do better than that! And Kappa Jeb, I have faith in you. Hopefully you know all about the "no--win scenario", and like a true badS you believe there's no such thing.

6 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

And Kappa Jeb, I have faith in you. Hopefully you know all about the "no--win scenario", and like a true badS you believe there's no such thing.

No-wing scenario? When wings fall off in flight, Jeb lithobrakes vertically!

I was under the impression that everything in the Kerbin SOI would vanish in an exploding rift (or something), so, he'll have to really thrust for something in a one time thrust to get out of the Kerbin system before the explosion and not make any mistakes, and also not launch out of the Kerbol system entirely.

23 minutes ago, smjjames said:

I was under the impression that everything in the Kerbin SOI would vanish in an exploding rift (or something), so, he'll have to really thrust for something in a one time thrust to get out of the Kerbin system before the explosion and not make any mistakes, and also not launch out of the Kerbol system entirely.

A perfect opportunity to add delta vee in the most epic way imaginable.

16 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

A perfect opportunity to add delta vee in the most epic way imaginable.

Wouldn't he need a sail or something to even remotely take advantage of that?

Another option occured to me, instead of trying to outrun the explosion, he could dive towards Kerbin, timing it to where the planet explodes before he hits the atmosphere (or the ground even), and let the momentum carry him through. Which sounds like the kind of crazy thing Jeb might do.

At least the Plan Kappa universe doesn't use a life support mod (I don't think), so, he could hibernate until he gets to a point where he can do a Duna transfer and aerobrake when he gets there.

Edited by smjjames

3 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

Funny thing is, after using the Kerbal RnD mod to improve the parts used on the Bad-S, I can't really calculate if Jeb can actually leave Kerbin's SOI. I just know he has enought to reach orbit, with a bit of fuel to spare.

Might be possible IF Jeb flies straight up and flying against Kerbin's orbital direction, he may be able to coast out of Kerbin's SOI. I've done that with probes. Kerbin goes one way, Jeb goes in the opposite direction.

In short, launch at night when the sun sets.

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I'm feeling an unexpectedly sad sadness at the prospect of 'billions' of kerbs who I've never met and don't even show up as terrain scatter being wiped out. C'mon Artie, you can do better than that! And Kappa Jeb, I have faith in you. Hopefully you know all about the "no--win scenario", and like a true badS you believe there's no such thing.

Maybe Kappa-verse Jeb will get picked up by the Wild Blue (Kappa Division) staff who took off in their fusion ship earlier. Well, they did in my imagination! ;)

Edited by Angel-125

11 hours ago, GDJ said:

Might be possible IF Jeb flies straight up and flying against Kerbin's orbital direction, he may be able to coast out of Kerbin's SOI. I've done that with probes. Kerbin goes one way, Jeb goes in the opposite direction.

In short, launch at night when the sun sets.

Afraid that isn't an option, since Jeb will be plying a SSTO, and will need airbreathing engines to get speed. Flying up wouldn't allow that...

3 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

Afraid that isn't an option, since Jeb will be plying a SSTO, and will need airbreathing engines to get speed. Flying up wouldn't allow that...

I'm guessing those Twitch radial engines you attached have their ISP increased and mass decreased for enough Dv to get to Duna?

4 hours ago, Parkaboy said:

Okay, since the Jeb's SSTO is rather small, and probably doesn't have much for storage for Oxidizer.......I think he'd better kiss some monolith butt and get that Minmus head start.

UNLESS Stelrine's craft survived and you managed to scavenge any fuel/Oxidizer from that.....

OR you have something in Kerbin low orbit now.......

If not.....I hope that plane can nail at least 3500 m/s at 70 Km.......(fingers crossed here).

Edited by GDJ

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I'm guessing those Twitch radial engines you attached have their ISP increased and mass decreased for enough Dv to get to Duna?

Yeah, you got it right. Except that Duna isn't at the optimal position, so the priority is just to get out of Kerbin's SOI.

48 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Okay, since the Jeb's SSTO is rather small, and probably doesn't have much for storage for Oxidizer.......I think he'd better kiss some monolith butt and get that Minmus head start.

UNLESS Stelrine's craft survived and you managed to scavenge any fuel/Oxidizer from that.....

OR you have something in Kerbin low orbit now.......

If not.....I hope that plane can nail at least 3500 m/s at 70 Km.......(fingers crossed here).

Unfortunately Jeb "broke" the monolith again, and this time Kerbfleet Bill isn't at hand to reboot it. So it's just the plane...

I feel so bad for the poor Kerbalnauts of your universe. Everything seems to just keep getting worse and worse for them.

You have such a great talent for writing this Parkaboy, and I do wish to see it continue.

There is still an alternative for Jeb.

Asclepius.

Simple mod, won't break your game save Parkaboy, and it puts the orbit between Kerbin and Duna. 

Jeb just might be able to make it if it's close enough to Kerbin......

1 hour ago, RA3236 said:

I'm pretty sure explosions in space would not give you that much of a boost.

Well, I suppose that depends on how deep is the level of your 'suspension of disbelief'.  It's really up to Parkaboy whether that would work or not.

Also, have you never heard of Project Orion?

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

43 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

I'm pretty sure explosions in space would not give you that much of a boost.

But OTOH, the very fabric of space is being torn and twisted.  There's no telling how far Jeb might surf on the resulting gravity waves.

3 minutes ago, Andem said:

PlanEmikoFleetProgram AmIRite??

but seriously, the entire mun is gone? Man, I thought minmus would end up in orbit of the mun... damn...

Yep. Kerbin is going to be seriously FUBAR'd pretty quick.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.