Saturn Shuttle Mission Archive [SSM-17]

ZooNamedGames

7 hours ago, Kerbiter said:

Dear @ZooNamedGames,

We have decided to allocate 2 Kerbals to test fly the Komodo spacecraft. Meet Staselle (SpaceY Pilot) and Meremy Kerman (Komodo Engineer).

IcOjuYW.png

Staselle learned to fly planes, and came under our work when she flew chase planes above the launch site during the launch of the Raptor 1. After that she went through space training and this will be her first spaceflight. Meremy worked on the Komodo spacecraft and knows every nook and cranny of the craft. He is also a rookie.

Objective: Detach and let the Komodo fly from LKO to a 500km circular orbit, then let the Komodo maneuver back to the SOV. In the event we cannot maneuver to the SOV, we will ATL (abort to landing) and the Komodo spacecraft will come back by itself.

That is all of the details you need to know. Please make these details public and please give a status of the SOV. If death of the crew occurs, we will issue a backup crew.

- Elon Kerman, SpaceY CEO, and co-founder of KPal

I'm glad to have them aboard! :) 

" Determination (SOV-007): Orbiter, (In the works). "

*waiting for the space shuttle Determination

FILLS YOU WITH...

IMPATIENCE

HA! And you thought I was going to say determination!

45 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

" Determination (SOV-007): Orbiter, (In the works). "

*waiting for the space shuttle Determination

FILLS YOU WITH...

IMPATIENCE

HA! And you thought I was going to say determination!

The new engines designed for the orbiter apparently have too much TWR, causing an imbalance in the launch stack, so engineers are working to find the best way to work.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

The new engines designed for the orbiter apparently have too much TWR, causing an imbalance in the launch stack, so engineers are working to find the best way to work.

I know about that stuff. I'm not actually impatient. I was just trying to make a joke, trying to fake people out by thinking I was making and Undertale reference.

Nice job, by the way! It looks great!

2 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

I know about that stuff. I'm not actually impatient. I was just trying to make a joke, trying to fake people out by thinking I was making and Undertale reference.

Nice job, by the way! It looks great!

Ah I see :) .

After much delay, the Saturn Shuttle Program finally has a series of mission reports for the launch of Zuel5, SSM-11 and SSM-12!

After the failure of the other program's first rocket, they used a heavy booster they had built for another mission and retrofitted it to carry the Habitation Module for the StationCore (picture 1). The Zuel5 booster successfully took off and brought the module to 2km distance at which point Jabe Kerman went on an EVA and over saw the remote controlled docking of the module. It was controlled by a pilot and engineer (Nathan and Ted Kerman) who performed the docking. Jabe said it was slow, but amazing to see. Then, once the module was docked, the shuttle left 3 crew in orbit (Nathan, Ted and Bonnie Kerman) to be the first Kerbals to stay onboard a space station.

Once the mission was completed, Jabe, Jimbob and Earlie Kerman returned to Kerbin after nearly 3 weeks above Kerbin. This mission set several new records for the Saturn Shuttle Program, with this being the longest duration in space, first flight of the Nomad orbiter and the first flight of a retrofitted orbiter, first remoted controlled docking, first flight for the orbiter to return with less crew than launched, and many many more.

SSM-12 was launched shortly after the launch of SSM-11 (before SSM-11 returned), and hopped rapidly into orbit to deploy a classified military payload simply known as D.A.R.T.. This payload was deployed at an altitude of 200km and then the orbiter rapidly returned back to the KSC within an hour, with a slightly northern inclination when approaching the runway, unlike the usual southern inclination.

Space_shuttle_Endeavour_STS-118_landing.

Orbiter Inspiration returning after her short mission.

maxresdefault.jpg

Orbiter Nomad flying back to the runway.

375819main_headon-lg_full.jpg

Orbiter Nomad returning after her long trip to the StationCore.

In other news, the Saturn Shuttle begins preparation of the orbiter vehicles for the two requested missions which will be completed soon as part of SSM-14 and SSM-15. However the Saturn Shuttle Program has one final mission to be completed of their own before any can be done. SSM-13 is another long duration space occupation medical testing to be completed above Kerbin with a relative 0 speed above Kerbin to see how having no speed at all will affect a Kerbal.

Lastly, the auction is still underway for the two previous orbiters. A collector interested in the development of the Saturn Shuttle Program has finished building a moch build of the orbiters, and he plans to have it fly on the back of a 474 as part of airshows. He has dubbed it Titan. Should someone be interested in owning the original orbiters (Odyssey and Explorer) please contact the Saturn Shuttle Program! We would greatly enjoy seeing these two vehicles go to a better home rather than rotting in the scrapyards :) 

final-houston-stop-endeavour.jpg

Concept Art of the Orbiter Replica Titan in flight ontop of a Koeing 474.

Contact the Saturn Shuttle Program if you would like to become the brand new owners of one of these Orbiters

OCsJQQq.png

Refurbished Test Vehicles Explorer (Left) and Odyssey (Right)(SOLD). 

Edited by ZooNamedGames

12 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Contact the Saturn Shuttle Program if you would like to become the brand new owners of one of these Orbiters

I'll take one, or both if you'll throw in two LVs!

8 minutes ago, NotAgain said:

I'll take one, or both if you'll throw in two LVs!

Sadly these are only test vehicles. They are incapable of flight and requires a carrier aircraft to get airborne. We are only giving one to one person. These only flew a few times during Approach and Landing Tests (ALTs) after being deployed from a carrier aircraft. We have however repaired the damage the received so aesthetically they are decent, however they are missing several aspects which will make them capable of any high speed flight (much less space).

Having said that, which do you want? Please refer to the OP to know which test vehicles participated in which missions.

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Having said that, which do you want?

I'll take Odyssey. She can sit outside the Admin building and look magnificent with replacement mock-up wings.

If you want, I'll trade you my Half Mun test vehicle, Benevolence.

Edited by NotAgain

1 minute ago, NotAgain said:

I'll take Odyssey. She can sit outside the Admin building and look magnificent with replacement mock-up wings.

Noted. Her wings have already been replaced so there's no need to fix them. We will ship her as soon as possible (link incoming).

34 minutes ago, NotAgain said:

If you want, I'll trade you my Half Mun test vehicle, Benevolence.

No need, our program is wanting to see our older hardware going to better homes :) .

Now all that remains is SOV-003 Explorer. Once she has a new home then the old fleet can be safely taken care of by better owners :) .

Note, structural test article Hercules will remain with the Saturn Shuttle Program as a continual test article for any and all tests to be performed in relation to the program.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

Excellent News!

Orbiter Determination has made a significant leap in her design and she is now finishing construction! Engineers spent many weeks trying to fix the issue of the newly designed S3 KS-25 engines having too much thrust. The biggest issue for Determination was that engineers predicted that the new engines would require an additional throttle control which was beyond the computer hardware onboard the orbiter. After much struggle, an engineer named James Kerman, finally found the precise thrust needed to replicate the power of the original main engines. Once he discovered this, he pitched it to the development team and a week later a static test was performed and it worked perfectly, and with that, the Saturn Shuttle Program has slated the new orbiter for it's first launch as SSM-17. It is predicted that with these new engines, the new orbiter can carry more, go further and even go on longer missions than what was ever possible.

the-space-shuttle-endeavour-crew-pose-by

Orbiter Determination on the runway for driving tests with the Commanding Few.

In other news, SSM-13 returned home today after finishing her 1 month long mission. Report to be added to the OP shortly.

Space+Shuttle+Endeavour+Returns+Kennedy+

Orbiter Inspiration returns to the runway safely after her record setting month in space.

Lastly, orbiter Nomad is under preparation for SSM-14 launching @Kerbiter 's payload.

STS-135_crew_inspects_shuttle_Atlantis'_

going to have to refind it...it was a long time ago when I made it.

On 9/7/2015 at 4:43 PM, Sampa said:

Ok, here's that payload I promised! *note: it is two part subassembly that you need to assemble in the VAB*

http://www./download/89w31n717bw7u67/Zelfa_part_1.craft

http://www./download/ryevvrb014vp9nx/Zelfa_Part_2.craft

ok, here is the exact link..or links, rather.  I think these are set up as subassemblies...

45 minutes ago, Sampa said:

going to have to refind it...it was a long time ago when I made it.

ok, here is the exact link..or links, rather.  I think these are set up as subassemblies...

Ok, and I'll slate it for SSM-18 but again, if the bug remains I'm stuck.