Saturn Shuttle Mission Archive [SSM-17]

ZooNamedGames

Ok, if you did it correctly, you want to main zip from it, the main probe piece you want is called IUS-PAM

- - - Updated - - -

click the probes pack, it will send you to Github. From there, click the button that says Download ZIP

Oh I see. I'll take a look at it once I install it and reboot KSP.

SSM-9 is prepped and ready for launch later today carrying the first of many segments of the International Space Station, such named Freedom (Kudos to those who get the reference).

Also standby for a release of an engineer's report and review of the shuttle system along with scrap review in the last moments of the SSM-7 Horizons disaster. Along with another interview with SSM-9 mission commander, Mrs. Jabe Kerman. She was an early asset to the beginning of the SSM program as a pilot, engineer and latter mission commander during the ALTs with the Nomad, Odyssey and Explorer test vehicles. She helped create and test a lot of the current hardware which is currently in use with current missions, from technical hardware to such things as the EMU (Extravehicular Mobility Unit), and the ERHS (Emergency Return Heatsheild) and ORV (Orbital Return Vehicle). This will be her first space mission which as the rest of the crew puts it, "is something she has deserved for a long time".

SOV-005 Horizons Engineer Report:

Shuttle Orbiter Horizons is a great vehicle, however after the return of SSM-1 through SSM-5, it's obvious there is an aerodynamic instability which needs to be solved along with an over powered roll control. Docking system has been mentioned as poor, so a replacement for the new orbiter will be made. Orbiter fuel systems have been mentioned as "insufficient", or not enough for high DV burns, however, this Monopropellant fuel is the best form of propellant considering the circumstances. Power source (two RTGs located within the inside of the cargo bay on the rear of the orbiter. Also two batteries act as the primary form of power located next to the RTGs. The orbiter also has power within the cockpit in case of hull separation). Airbrake failure as on the previous three test articles does not occur on Horizons. (Let it be written I still haven't found a reason for the failure, but I'm glad it ends). The chute deployment as part of final landing procedures seems to over power the shuttle and cause a slight pitch up at the last moment, however cutting chute prior to that seems to solve the issue (solution applied for the first time on SSM-2). Lastly the front nose gear should be lowered to prevent Ground Effect from relifting the shuttle after landing.

Mission Failure Report:

Written By: Gus Kerman (Head of SSM Engineers)

Craft: SOV-005 Horizons

Craft Status: Destroyed

Craft Recovery: 81%.

Cause of Failure: Missile Strike (right aft portion of the spacecraft)

Report:

At 1:32pm, SOV-005 Horizons was returning to the KSC after finishing a routine mission. At 1:45pm the orbiter was struck by a SAM. Data reports as located in the Black Box states that several Kerbals EVAed through the hull to access the ELES. It also shows that two Kerbals, likely the commander and pilot activated the Emergency protocols and also attempted to fly the craft. However, the right wing was completely destroyed, the tail fin was broke loose and they had no vertical stability nor a stable aircraft. We have reason to believe that the science crew and the engineers moved to the ELES. However the ELES broke loose and the crew could not activate it in time (ELES found separated from the main portion of the orbiter- it's assumed it broke loose and was carried away by drag. Sadly, only 1 corpse was found. It is unknown as to who's body it is due to burning of the body and suit, along with major crash damage (ground impact). Sadly, the crew was likely alive prior to impact.

Craft Recovery Report:

Cockpit: 91%

Cargo Bay: 63%

Fuel Tanks: 31%.

Main Engines: 12%

Wings/Tail/Control Surfaces: 44%

Orbiter SOV-006 Inspiration Report:

Several improvements were made for SOV-006 as discovered from SOV-005. Such as chute problems, docking problems and also landing gear issues. One of the greatest advantages of SOV-006 over SOV-005 is that SOV-006 is far more versatile and can be altered much easier than her sister. The orbiter has modular systems which can be removed and altered for faster and easier alteration, changes and replacements of systems as needed where needed. Major changes include the chute change (moved, change of chute) and also a new bottom control surface as suggested by outside engineers to solve the pitch up after landing with chute deployment. Docking port system replaced entirely with a new system. Last major change is that the front landing gear has been lowered as per previous suggestion.

SOV-004 Nomad Reconstruction Process:

Currently SOV-004 is under going significant reconstruction in preparation for space flight. First major objective is to gut the inerts of the spacecraft and remove the dummy simulator equipment and replace it with real flight components. Nomad will resemble SOV-006 when completed, aside from solving a few of her major faults. Airbrakes have been completely replaced, which has solved her previous issue.

SOV-007 Inspiration Report:

SOV-007 is currently just in blue print. She will be larger and be able to go further than her older sisters. She will also have newer engines and other systems to assist with newer launch and flight unlike ever before (waiting for 1.1). She will also take advantage of the Saturn Nova series of rockets to see her go further than ever before. However we must wait for testing of the new launch system to commence before we can begin construction on SOV-008. Should the Saturn Nova rocket series fail to come to light, then SOV-008 will be remade as a larger variant of shuttle made for lower orbit. Or it could become a duplicate orbiter similar to SOV-007 which can be used to launch more missions faster.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing you modified the core i sent you? Because i did not leave space for kerbals in the core...

Members voted to use a new one. (We'll use yours for a later station).

Edited by ZooNamedGames

Interviewer: Welcome to another interview with one of the finest in the name of space exploration. Mrs. Jabe Kerman. She is a fantastic scientist, outstanding engineer and also an extremely experienced pilot. How many hours have you spent in the air up to this point?

Jabe: Almost 2,000.

Interviewer: 2,000? Wow. Impressive. How did you manage to get this number of hours?

Jabe: I was an Air Force pilot, and I served on several long duration operations performing recon over select areas for long durations. Sometimes for whole days or more.

Interviewer: You would be flying such aircraft as the SR-71?

Jabe: Amongst others.

Interviewer: How often would you fly these missions?

Jabe: Maybe once a week... Sometimes I'd land and be called back to the air less than 24 hours after landing.

Interviewer: Have you ever had any interesting events happen during any of your missions?

Jabe: Well what would be "interesting"? Since I've seen the northern lights shine just above my aircraft, I've seen the edge of space-

Interviewer: Had you ever been into space? How close have you gotten?

Jabe: I've never been to space... And SSM-9 will be my first trip there. But the highest I've been was close to 50km, near space, but not quite there.

Interviewer: How would you describe the view?

Jabe: Its fantastic. You can see our world in a way you could never imagine from the ground. You can see the curvature of

Kerbin.

Interviewer: Why hasn't the space program opted you into space earlier? Why have you been left behind until now while your, no offense, lesser colleagues go before you?

Jabe: I don't exactly know, but I believe it was because I was such a valuable asset to the program that they wanted me on the ground so if something went wrong I would be available to solve it.

Interviewer: With your amazing engineering skills I assume?

Jabe: *grins* Of course.

Interviewer: What had you done for the space program prior to be added to the prime crew of SSM-9?

Jabe: I tested a lot of the hardware that is in use today. Along with flying onboard the ALT tests of the shuttle.

Interviewer: As the engineer on ALT-2 and the commander of ALT-3?

Jabe: Yes.

Interviewer: Why did they think you should fly on those and not be on the ground safe for those?

Jabe: Like I said, it's all about how useful I can be, and in that case if something went wrong, I could save it while onboard.

Interviewer: I see. Well, from what I've read, ALT-2 had a bumpy landing am I right? Destroyed the right wing?

Jabe: Indeed... We lost the wing shortly after landing due to the vehicle tipping, granted the airbrake failure helped lead to the impact.

Interviewer: The airbrake failure. I remember seeing a lot of debate over the mysterious airbrake failures. Do you have any ideas about it?

Jabe: I haven't looked too deep into it, but I feel it was a hydraulic failure in the lines. Either there was a leak or some other chemical got into the lines and caused it to seize up.

Interviewer: But why would it happen on all the ALT flights?

Jabe: I don't know, I figure that it was a technical issue within the orbiters. Even after the flights they never got it to work.

Interviewer: I've heard they're prepping Nomad for flight after the SSM-5 disaster, is the issue solved?

Jabe: From what I've heard, yes. It has been.

Interviewer: Speaking of SSM-5, and I'm sorry if it brings up back memories, but can I ask you about it?

Jabe: *looks down* go ahead...

Interviewer: Did you know the SSM-5 crew?

Jabe: I knew some of them. I didn't work too much with the science crew, so I didn't know them. I worked mostly with the engineering crew since they were struggling to work with the payload.

Interviewer: What was the issue?

Jabe: They were struggling to communicate between the orbiter computers and the payload computers. Issue is that the orbiter uses a different language than the payload. So they had to learn a new language and how to use a language thy already know to translate it into another.

Interviewer: Sounds complicated.

Jabe: Hence why they needed me.

Interviewer: Did you know the mission commander of pilot?

Jabe: I did... We were friends outside of the space program. The mission commanders tend to hang out, get a drink and talk about our missions. Compare how we did, what we should've done, and so on.

Interviewer: Sounds like you get close.

Jabe: We do. We all know that any mission could be our last, that we may not come back.

Interviewer: Is it worth the risk? 6 souls were lost in the persuit of space. Is it worth that risk? And more on SM-1. Is it worth the risk?

Jabe: Is it worth the risk to climb the tallest mountain? To explore the unknown? "Is it worth it" is a bad question. The question you should be asking is, are you willing to accept the risk?

Interviewer: Are you?

Jabe: I am. It's better to lose your life, pushing forth a new frontier, than to die for nothing at home, of old age.

Interviewer: Hm. That's some rich philosophy.... Do you think, if you were aboard SSM-5, that you could've saved the orbiter, or the crew?

Jabe: No. It was impossible. The SAM hit behind the right wing, next to the hull. It completely destroyed the engine mount. They lost the tail fin. They were in a death trap. There was no hope for them... I just wished they could've gotten to the ELES sooner.

Interviewer: I thought they did get to the ELES?

Jabe: Reports say that 2 members got strapped into the ELES-

Interviewer: Emergency Launch System.

Jabe: Yes. 2 crew members got into it, but the hull which was rapidly breaking apart, lead to the ELES breaking free and it'd was carried away from the orbiter.

Interviewer: Why didn't they fire the escape motors once they saw they were separated?

Jabe: I don't know. I'm guessing it was because by the time they knew, they impacted.

Interviewer: I'm certain your aware... The crew was... Conscious when they impacted. How do you feel about it? What do you think was their final thoughts?

Jabe: I'm sorry they had to be. If the missile impacted higher maybe the change in pressure may have been enough to incapacitate them... But it happened too low. I hope they were too busy trying to follow protocols that they were aware of the true danger.

Interviewer: What about to two who got lost with the ELES? The others in the cargo bay loading into the ELES?

Jabe: I hope the same for them as the rest. It's a nightmare of a situation.

Interviewer: Indeed it is... What has been done to prevent this?

Jabe: A new escape system installed directly into the cockpit in the event of hull separation, and also a new re-entry path which will see us further north an more importantly above a military airbase which will give us protection, along with early implementation of the SCVs.

Interviewer: SCV?

Jabe: Shuttle Chase Vehicle, basically a fast, yet slow aircraft that follows alongside the orbiter on its return path. The vehicles were designed, but pilots were being trained. In light of this, we are going to draft airforce veteran pilots to be the chasers until the pilots who are being trained are ready.

Interviewer: How close will they follow?

Jabe: Close. Within 50-100m. All the up to landing.

Interviewer: Well this has been an interesting session with Mrs. Jane Kerman, a major asset to the space program and the Shuttle Missions. She's a fantastic engineer, an outstanding scientist and a pilot with exceptional piloting skills. Thanks for watching this segment on KNN.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

SSM-9 is complete. Space Station Freedom has been deployed and shortly thereafter the orbiter performed a "emergency return maneuver" to test it. This involves the orbiter performing a high speed log duration retrofire and dropping into the atmosphere at high speed. The orbiter did encounter the highest level of heating yet, but it survived and returned to the runway as planned. Mission success! SSM-10 will be launched once SOV-006 is serviced and ready to be relaunched.

Design work has begun for a truss segment, if you want it? Full truss to include main communications antenna as well as solar panels and radiators.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, i just voted

The engineers would like it if you would divide up the modules. One for radiators, one for solar panels and one for communication. More to launch yes, but if there's a fault or failure, it's easier to manage. When it's ready send it :) we can't wait.

Sure, what we are actually imagining is that the final truss will be so big, that the only way to get it to tue station is in segments. Each segment will have its own purpose. Outer segments, on either side of the central habitable station, will be for solar panels and heat radiation. The center truss is intended for communications equipment, tovmake repairs easy to manage and limit FOD damage.

Sure, what we are actually imagining is that the final truss will be so big, that the only way to get it to tue station is in segments. Each segment will have its own purpose. Outer segments, on either side of the central habitable station, will be for solar panels and heat radiation. The center truss is intended for communications equipment, tovmake repairs easy to manage and limit FOD damage.

Ah ok. Perfect. Send it when it's ready.