Boeing's Starliner

Kryten

Did anybody else think it weird that the rcs seemed to be fighting the main engines when the capsule was entering orbit?  At least on the animations it looked like rcs were trying to slow the capsule while the main engines were pushing it. Maybe I’m just interpreting the graphics wrong idk. 

I did hear something odd about the specific impulse being 40s less than the 460s of the Centaur upper stage, and I did see a few extra seconds of the Centaur's RCS firing perpendicular to the stage after MECO.

8 hours ago, Ricktoberfest said:

Did anybody else think it weird that the rcs seemed to be fighting the main engines when the capsule was entering orbit?  At least on the animations it looked like rcs were trying to slow the capsule while the main engines were pushing it. Maybe I’m just interpreting the graphics wrong idk. 

Some put sensors overturned, some do it with attitude thrusters...

I recall something like that with some valves...

7 hours ago, AckSed said:

I did hear something odd about the specific impulse being 40s less than the 460s of the Centaur upper stage, and I did see a few extra seconds of the Centaur's RCS firing perpendicular to the stage after MECO.

They confused green and blue arrows in Unity. Engines and RCS use opposite.

14 hours ago, AckSed said:

Side question: What is "the big loop"?

Grok

lIgjSJGU_bigger.jpg
@grok
The "Big Loop" in NASA radio communications refers to the Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS), which is a network of satellites that relay data from spacecraft to ground stations on Earth. It's called the "Big Loop" because it provides a continuous, high-bandwidth communication link between spacecraft and Earth, allowing for the transmission of large amounts of data. So, when NASA talks about putting something on the "Big Loop," they're essentially saying it's being connected to this high-speed relay system for efficient data transmission.