[0.25] Lionhead Aerospace Inc. - Icarus v0.4 updated

Yogui87

Ok Dr Backjack suggested moving the Pandoras heatshield mass from 0.1 to 0.5 and changing ejection force to 10, I was still having problems so I increased the wheels crash value from 50 to 100 and that solved the problem it works perfectly for me now

Congratulations on the Birth of your twins Yogui you will have no time now for quite awhile, enjoy it while you can they grow so quickly.

Perhaps you can hand your updates over to someone trusted to caretaker it while you enjoy your children

Edited by Virtualgenius

Ok Dr Backjack suggested moving the Pandoras heatshield mass from 0.1 to 0.5 and changing ejection force to 10, I was still having problems so I increased the wheels crash value from 50 to 100 and that solved the problem it works perfectly for me now

Congratulations on the Birth of your twins Yogui you will have no time now for quite awhile, enjoy it while you can they grow so quickly.

Perhaps you can hand your updates over to someone trusted to caretaker it while you enjoy your children

Weird thing is as I dissected the thing... I discovered that it is the two struts holding the heat shield to the sky crane that cause the issue. Weirder yet, without those struts, the thing spins out of control wildly.

Additionaly I tried all the changes listed above and it still explodes. If I just test everything in orbit, it all comes apart as intended but in atmospheric decent when the shield is cut loose.... BANG! I've waited till the last moment to jettison the heat shield, nice stable decent and it fails every time.

Edited by LawnDartLeo

Well... the fix... sort of... is to jack up the crash tolerance of the pod, not the wheels.... at least for me. Still have torque issues as the sky crane is decending, it twists along the vertical axis.

On a different subject.... Ever thought of making a rover and delivery system for non atmosphereic environments? I've dabbled with Blender and I have to say, hats off to you guys who have the patience to use it. My experience is with engineering software such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks. Blender is just too "free form" for my rigid mind.... or i just need to figure out how to make it more rigid.

Mr Yogui87 your work is really impressive I'm having really good fun with it and toke the freedom of add to some parts extra functionality lastly I added http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40667-0-23-WIP-TAC-Life-Support-0-8-22Dec TAClife support to the ATV in order to be able to do what it was designed for.

Thanks and looking forward to coming mods.

If anyone has some unofficial updates that make the following completely compatible with .23 - would you post?

* The Pandora Rover (Curiosity Mars Rover)

* The Zeus Telescope (Hubble)

* The Hermes Spacecraft (Voyager)

And Yougui - thank you for such an amazing set of craft. They are truly incredible! Congrats on the twins. One baby is so much work, I can't imagine two!

The Hermes is fine and has no issues a suggestion was to raise Pandoras heatshield mass from 0.1 to 0.5 and changing ejection force to 10 you may have to increase the wheels crash tolerance to 100 or increase the crash tolerance of the pod its a trial an error thing after doing the first three I had no more problems

The Hermes is fine and has no issues a suggestion was to raise Pandoras heatshield mass from 0.1 to 0.5 and changing ejection force to 10 you may have to increase the wheels crash tolerance to 100 or increase the crash tolerance of the pod its a trial an error thing after doing the first three I had no more problems

Thank you Mr. genius!

100 seems a little high for crash tolerance. That's literally saying they won't fail unless their velocity at impact is over 100 meters per second. That said, I understand there are packs with landing gear / wheels that are also high so it's not unprecedented.

Just saying that if your landing speed is that high then it would be better to work on reducing that instead.

it was an arbitrary figure to stop the exploding bug but if someone can suggest a realistic figure happy to go with that the one it has is to low so when you jettison the heatshield the entire contents explodes

lower heat shield decoupling force.

OK so I am not going to go through the 30+ pages that I missed, but would it not be an amazing idea to have the curiosity rover to ACTUAL science? There is a mod for rover sample collection, etc. but the curiosity rover would be the end all be all of science rovers!

I know there still load of minor bugs in my mods but I don't have much time for now. I don't forgot about you and KSP. May be I could make an update for 0.24. About rovers, the most important dificulty is I couldn't find information about stock wheel module (just a pic that didn't explain much)

OK so I am not going to go through the 30+ pages that I missed, but would it not be an amazing idea to have the curiosity rover to ACTUAL science? There is a mod for rover sample collection, etc. but the curiosity rover would be the end all be all of science rovers!

See the probe science link in my signature. That will let all probes do basic science (temperature, pressure, samples, etc)

See the probe science link in my signature. That will let all probes do basic science (temperature, pressure, samples, etc)

All that's left to do is for Squad to make science fun for endgame players! Thanks for that mod though. That's amazing.

The pandora rover body seems to be bigger and clip through the heat shield of the Skycrane, any suggestions?. Also: can someone send me a .craft with the pandora assembled correctly and mated properly to the atlas 541 launch vehicle (from chimer4's atlas v 2.0 pack)?

While we're discussing updates to various Lionhead craft, I'd like to put in my 2 cents and urge continued work on the Icarus. :) I'd like to see better-looking yet less memory hogging textures (the game REALLY lags when the heatshield is attached, as an example); those neat drop pods you were working on, those looked really cool, and would make a good alternative to the H.O.M.E. system, which will be updated who knows when; and just more parts in general that fit with the design 'language' of the Icarus system. But, about the 'Command Pod' part... what's the deal with the huge ugly forward-protruding arm device thingies? Did I mention that they're ugly? What are they supposed to do, if anything?

Alright, I think that covers what I had to say. Keep on keepin' on, Yogui. Thanks for all the cool stuff so far, and looking forward to future developments.

:D

Yogui, what is the status of ISS parts? With the new ECLSS version closing in and CSS slowly shaping up, I'll be interested in reviewing and polishing up the project. You've currently got Cupola, Pirs, Poisk and Z1 in various states of completion. That's pretty much it for the major missing parts. What's the status on those?

Also, Kibo was reported to suffer huge FPS slowdown until deployed (will test myself, soon). I've also encountered this bug before on Voyager and Viking (not on Phoenix, oddly enough...), as well as on the animated parts of the Icarus. Could you try to fix this? It's possible that animation changes in 0.23 messed something up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.