[0.25] Lionhead Aerospace Inc. - Icarus v0.4 updated

Yogui87

DSL Pandora:

Is this a good enough fit?

KzkCb0I.png

Wasn't exactly hard to do, I just reduced the rescale factor of all the parts to 0.95. My guessi s either Chimer or Yogui made an assumption about the measurements somewhere and one or other is slightly off.

Either way, now it fits just fine into the Altas V 5m Fairing. I'm gonna flight test the right to make sure it works as a lander and rover and make sure the part alignment isn't off.

EDIT: Flying Pandora upside down is tricky. The guidance is aligned upside down so it gets soooo confused if you use MechJeb for launch guidance :S

Edited by MDBenson

I think it shows even if there's more than 3 kerbals. I remember having 6 kerbonautes in Mir and still having their nice little green faces. It only shows the 3 first, but there's an arrow that let you "scroll" to the other members. Unless it has change, of course.

No, nothing changed. That's how it works. There's another reason crew portraits don't appear but I forget why.

Edited by Starwaster

I did find if you use the stock .craft file for Pandora and rescale it you have to go around an re-attach everything in the right place as the spacings are all wrong.

Aside from that, no major problems after rescale, flew it all the way to Duna no issues (had to jury rig it to fly right with extra mechjeb AR202s on the the Altas V to make it fly while Pandora is inverted). Flew okay got me to Duna fine, I can't land on Duna for pepper, but that's not exactly a new thing ;)

OK, Figured out the Command Pod trouble with the Icarus anyway... Yogui didn't have an IVA (cockpit interior) assigned to it. I just changed the configs to use the Hitchhiker Hab pod interior (only holds 4 Kerbals now tho...). But the crew lives through every launch, and the door works! So your Kerbals are no longer trapped inside the Icarus... :P Also seems to have cut down on the lag some. I also cranked up the SAS force to 100 (left roll at 80, it's fine) and the ship handles much better without using RCS.

7gOL50x.png

I can also confirm, that the main lag producing part is the Centrifuge, with the second most being the docking sections.

Here you can see I built a slightly smaller Icarus, without the most lag producing parts, but I added some docking ports etc, to maintain the same part count... and here I am launching, with no lag! :)

JRa09h9.png

I'll take a look at the Centrifuge and Docking Port configs later today, and see if there is anything wrong in there which might be causing lag... Maybe the parts got corrupted when Yogui uploaded them to the Spaceport? Or maybe when I downloaded them... not sure.

Edited by UltraVires

There's something wrong with the animations. I'm experiencing this on Hermes and Valkyrie, too. On those two, though, the lag stops when the animation is triggered and finishes. On Icarus, the centrifuge rotates continuously, which makes for a constant lag.

DSL Pandora:

Is this a good enough fit?

KzkCb0I.png

Wasn't exactly hard to do, I just reduced the rescale factor of all the parts to 0.95. My guessi s either Chimer or Yogui made an assumption about the measurements somewhere and one or other is slightly off.

Either way, now it fits just fine into the Altas V 5m Fairing. I'm gonna flight test the right to make sure it works as a lander and rover and make sure the part alignment isn't off.

EDIT: Flying Pandora upside down is tricky. The guidance is aligned upside down so it gets soooo confused if you use MechJeb for launch guidance :S

I still can't fit the pandora capsule opside down to fit on the upper stage like you have it in your picture.

I downloaed the latest version that says It can be attached like that but it still can

t be fitted like that.

What am I doing wrong.

PS, that version you have is smaller and can fit into the fairing of the Atlas.

where can I get it ?

Edited by hubergeek

I still can fit the pandora capsule opside down to fit on the upper stage like you have it in your picture.

I downloaed the latest version that says It can be attached like that but it still can

t be fitted like that.

What am I doing wrong.

PS, that version you have is smaller and can fit into the fairing of the Atlas.

where can I get it ?

Like MDBenson said, you have to go into the .cfg files of all the parts from the Pandora mod and edit the line named rescaleFactor, to make it equal 0.95.

Like MDBenson said, you have to go into the .cfg files of all the parts from the Pandora mod and edit the line named rescaleFactor, to make it equal 0.95.

Done, thank you.

I was downloading the DSL Pandora files from spaceport and for some reason it has the old version. I got the right version now.

Thanks, I am planning of doing a Pandora - Duna video now that I have the Atlas-Centaur and the new capsule.

Thanks

Edited by hubergeek

Done, thank you.

I was downloading the DSL Pandora files from spaceport and for some reason it has the old version. I got the right version now.

Thanks, I am planning of doing a Pandora - Duna video now that I have the Atlas-Centaur and the new capsule.

Thanks

Don't download Pandora from spaceport, it's the old version 1.4. I can't upload new updates on spaceport, I don't know why.

Use the mirror link in the OP.

Yogui87 - Is there any way you can think of to reconfigure the Pandora capsule system so the guidance is the correct way up when it's installed on the rocket? Maybe put a guidance system that's 'upside down' in the cruise stage tanks? It's only once you separate the cruise stage that you need to flip around to the rover orientation. As long as it can be made the root part then it'll work just fine. It makes the separation process at the landing planet a little more complex but I think we can cope?! :)

Yogui87 - Is there any way you can think of to reconfigure the Pandora capsule system so the guidance is the correct way up when it's installed on the rocket? Maybe put a guidance system that's 'upside down' in the cruise stage tanks? It's only once you separate the cruise stage that you need to flip around to the rover orientation. As long as it can be made the root part then it'll work just fine. It makes the separation process at the landing planet a little more complex but I think we can cope?! :)

Just strap MechJeb case to the side of the rocket and click "Control from here" on the start.

I have a problem with Head part of Pandora missing. I do have Romfarer's Lazor plugin. So I don't have an idea why it's not showing.

You don't need romfarer lazor plugin, you need Sunbeam plugin (link in the INSTRUCTION.txt file in the archive).

Deploy the Voyager. It'll stop the lag. Yogui needs to fix it for it to be properly launchable, but until then, the only way to stop the lag is to deploy the probe.

Well, I think you need Lazor to use the latest Sunbeam. But that's beside the point, you're most likely missing the Sunbeam.

If you install the Sunbeam laser plugin you get Romfarer with it... it's not rocket science folks (har har), read the readme/instructions files.

Just strap MechJeb case to the side of the rocket and click "Control from here" on the start.

This only fixes it in the first stage, not the second (Centaur) and third (cruise) stage. If you use 2 MechJeb cases (one on the Atlas V booster and one on the cruise stage) that works but, because the Pandora flight computer takes over on 1st stage sep the centaur does a back-flip and points the wrong way until you switch guidance packages. Also sticking AR202s on everything leaves ugly green lights everywhere and looks unrealistic.

It would be better to provide a neater solution that is correct to the real spacecraft *but* I don't know if adding it to the Cruise stage alone will work as it's part is oriented 'upside down' compared to the Atlas V like the other parts. I think Yogui needs to actually remake the cruise stage the opposite way up and add the MJ guidance to it, so it is 'heads up' when mounted to the rocket, for it all to work right. You can then build Pandora as normal then switch the root part to the Cruise stage using SelectRoot, then save and update the .craft file.

For Yogui this is probably a small amount of work but I know he's busy... :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.