[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I openly admit to putting, well, absolutely no effort into balancing the parts. :P I basically rely on people saying something if something is out of whack. Neither are meant to deploy, the dome antenna is a small dish with a lightweight plastic cover, and the the scimatar antenna is a somewhat rare design that was only used, as far as I can tell, on the Apollo spacecraft. It's worth pointing out that both act as dishes and not omni antennas. Perhaps @Foxxonius Augustus could offer some input on the RT balancing, considering that's more or less his thing.

I can definitely look into it, I am a bit bogged down atm with another config project but I can probably get to it soon. I can at least take a look tonight and see how much work it will take, though as I recall the antenna stats did look fairly solid...

Edit: So I gave it a look and to be honest I don't see much to be done. I can certainly do a pass but I think the problem is that the LLL antenna is quite underballenced. Bear in mind that I am not actually calculating gain or beamwidth or anything like that, I look at mainly from a game balance perspective and take ques from any real world antenna the part might be based on so it can do the equivalent job in ksp.

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

The Titans, in greek mithology, were the old deities that were before the Olympic Deities:
Kronos/Saturn was their leader, and he was Zeus/Jupiter's father.

To not use the "Kronos" name itself (maybe you can reserve it for a future Saturn-like rocket :P) choose maybe between some of his brothers:
-Oceanus
-Hyperion
-Coeus
-Crius
-Iapetus
and Kronos/Cronus itself...
... plus their sisters/wifes:
-Mnemosyne
-Tethys
-Theia
-Phoebe
-Themis
-Rhea (wife of Cronus and Zeus' mother)

Then there were the "second generation titans": Hyperion's children Helios, Selene and Eos; Coeus' children Lelantos, Leto and Asteria; Iapetus' sons Atlas, Prometheus, Epimetheus and Menoetius; Oceanus' daughter Metis; and Crius' sons Astreous, Pallas and Perses.

Use one of their names for the rocket... :P (I like Hyperion - "God of Watchfulness, Wisdom and the Light"- or Prometheus - which stole the fire for the humans and teach them to be civilized :P)

... but I have no idea about the engine name ;)

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I may not have bothered with Mercury, but PassingLurker offered his Bloeting Corp mod up for adoption and I couldn't say no. :P

I don't want to add more dependencies to the mod. At any rate, the different engines will have slightly different stats, so it would be easier to just have them be different engines.

On a slightly related note, we need ideas for the name of the Titan series, as well as names for the 3 variants of LR-87 first stage, and the two (three?) variants of the second stage. On a more general note, if anyone has anything Titan-launcher related that you want us to make sure is included, please speak up. Things like specific looking fuel tanks, or whatever.

I think the LR-87 could be called "Bwoooop".

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 7:14 PM, VenomousRequiem said:

Oh lord, you're not playing with RP are you..? And are you playing with the latest dev release?

What's RP?

And yes I am. I've now converted to 1.0.5, and I seem to have the same issue with the engine exhausts.

13 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I can definitely look into it, I am a bit bogged down atm with another config project but I can probably get to it soon. I can at least take a look tonight and see how much work it will take, though as I recall the antenna stats did look fairly solid...

Edit: So I gave it a look and to be honest I don't see much to be done. I can certainly do a pass but I think the problem is that the LLL antenna is quite underballenced. Bear in mind that I am not actually calculating gain or beamwidth or anything like that, I look at mainly from a game balance perspective and take ques from any real world antenna the part might be based on so it can do the equivalent job in ksp.

Long post time.

Thanks for the input. I had a feeling it was something like that; the LLL thing sounded really UP.

11 hours ago, Araym said:

The Titans, in greek mithology, were the old deities that were before the Olympic Deities:
Kronos/Saturn was their leader, and he was Zeus/Jupiter's father.

To not use the "Kronos" name itself (maybe you can reserve it for a future Saturn-like rocket :P) choose maybe between some of his brothers:
-Oceanus
-Hyperion
-Coeus
-Crius
-Iapetus
and Kronos/Cronus itself...
... plus their sisters/wifes:
-Mnemosyne
-Tethys
-Theia
-Phoebe
-Themis
-Rhea (wife of Cronus and Zeus' mother)

Then there were the "second generation titans": Hyperion's children Helios, Selene and Eos; Coeus' children Lelantos, Leto and Asteria; Iapetus' sons Atlas, Prometheus, Epimetheus and Menoetius; Oceanus' daughter Metis; and Crius' sons Astreous, Pallas and Perses.

Use one of their names for the rocket... :P (I like Hyperion - "God of Watchfulness, Wisdom and the Light"- or Prometheus - which stole the fire for the humans and teach them to be civilized :P)

... but I have no idea about the engine name ;)

I'm thinking Prometheus for the series name, if only because it is an important name in the FreeSpace lore. But that might be a bit long. Hrmm. At any rate, the casual names for the engines will probably be the various titans.

7 hours ago, BMot360 said:

I think the LR-87 could be called "Bwoooop".

I was actually asked to put that sound in game, but I believe it's very hard to get new sounds added to the engine modules.

6 hours ago, fs10inator said:

Keep up the progress! I hope you guys don't mind doing the Titan IVA SRMs and IVB SRMUs as well. Thanks!

I am not entirely sure what you are talking about. I was generally planning on doing 5 and 7 segment boosters. Would that be correct? I am still wrapping my head around the Titan hardware. Can you explain in some more detail? I don't want to miss anything out.

3 hours ago, NotAgain said:

What's RP?

And yes I am. I've now converted to 1.0.5, and I seem to have the same issue with the engine exhausts.

RealPlume. We began supporting RealPlume after 0.07, and as of 0.08 the configs are included in the download. Are you running the dev release or the newest official release? The official release is more up to date now. I don't know why the RP stuff would interfere with it, since the ModuleManager files require RealPlume and SmokeScreen (an RP dependency) before they start changing things.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am not entirely sure what you are talking about. I was generally planning on doing 5 and 7 segment boosters. Would that be correct? I am still wrapping my head around the Titan hardware. Can you explain in some more detail? I don't want to miss anything out.

The 5 and 7 segment boosters are fine, keep it up. But my huge interest in the Titan IV rocket family had me suggest Titan IV SRMs, so here's some more detail:

Titan IVA - SRM

7139166629_92dd099952_b.jpg

Each of the Titan IVA's solid rocket motors (SRMs) has seven segments, as I learnt from this webpage, even though it looks like it has about 12 (each taller than the SRMs of previous Titan rockets, mind you). The red (white on some early Titan SRMs) tube thing that is mounted on Titan K-21's (pictured above) SRMs is a tank that holds N2O4 for (and is part of) the Thrust Vector Control system (TVC), which helps keep the Titan flying on course by injecting a flow of gas into the SRM gas flow, since the SRM lacks a gimballed nozzle. This type of TVC has flown from 1965 (Titan IIIC), up until the very end, when, in 1998, the final Titan IVA self-destructed in mid-air, taking the $1.3bn ($1.8bn today) payload with it.

Titan IVB - SRMU

Titan_IV_rocket.jpg

However, when we take a look into the SRMU of the Titan IVB, things change. To start with, the old TVC system is eliminated (hence the lack of the red N2O4 tank) and is replaced by one in which each SRMU's nozzle can gimbal. Then, there is the reduction in segments from 7 to 3. Plus, each SRMU is more powerful than the SRM of IVA (and has a higher specific impulse), and burn for a longer duration--140 seconds, 20 seconds longer than the IVA's SRM burn duration of only 120 seconds. The final SRMU pair boosted Titan B-26 in October 2005.

As for the picture above, don't let Titan B-34's core stage engines fool you; the core stage typically lights up seconds before SRMU separation.

Here is a page with some information on the Titan IV solid rocket motors. Hope this helps.

Edited by fs10inator

1 hour ago, fs10inator said:

The 5 and 7 segment boosters are fine, keep it up. But my huge interest in the Titan IV rocket family had me suggest Titan IV SRMs, so here's some more detail:

Titan IVA - SRM

Each of the Titan IVA's solid rocket motors (SRMs) has seven segments, as I learnt from this webpage, even though it looks like it has about 12 (each taller than the SRMs of previous Titan rockets, mind you). The red (white on some early Titan SRMs) tube thing that is mounted on Titan K-21's (pictured above) SRMs is a tank that holds N2O4 for (and is part of) the Thrust Vector Control system (TVC), which helps keep the Titan flying on course by injecting a flow of gas into the SRM gas flow, since the SRM lacks a gimballed nozzle. This type of TVC has flown from 1965 (Titan IIIC), up until the very end, when, in 1998, the final Titan IVA self-destructed in mid-air, taking the $1.3bn ($1.8bn today) payload with it.

Titan IVB - SRMU

However, when we take a look into the SRMU of the Titan IVB, things change. To start with, the old TVC system is eliminated (hence the lack of the red N2O4 tank) and is replaced by one in which each SRMU's nozzle can gimbal. Then, there is the reduction in segments from 7 to 3. Plus, each SRMU is more powerful than the SRM of IVA (and has a higher specific impulse), and burn for a longer duration--140 seconds, 20 seconds longer than the IVA's SRM burn duration of only 120 seconds. The final SRMU pair boosted Titan B-26 in October 2005.

As for the picture above, don't let Titan B-34's core stage engines fool you; the core stage typically lights up seconds before SRMU separation.

Here is a page with some information on the Titan IV solid rocket motors. Hope this helps.

Well, I guess I've got all the reference I need for Titan SRBs. Thanks, friend.

Now if only I had sufficient reference on the Titan II second stage. >~<

I ended up finding a picture of the second stage mount without the engine, and then reference of the engine itself and combined then together.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

1 hour ago, fs10inator said:

Titan IVA - SRM

Titan IVB - SRMU

Awesome! Looks like a lot of great info. Guess we're doing three versions of the LR-87, three versions of the LR-91, and 5/7/3 segment versions of the SRBs, the first two using the gas jet TVC. Anyone have any particular paint jobs you want for the tanks? At this point I might as well make a Titan III/IV version of the fuel tanks.

EDIT: Also, Transtage. Priority? Venom will prolly cry if we add more AJ-10s.

Edited by CobaltWolf

On 12/23/2015 at 3:28 PM, sandalwood said:

Hey, really liking this mod! What would make this even better is craft files of the crafts shown in the photos? Please?

Oh, a first post? Welcome to the forums! Did you make your account just to say you like our work? :3

Really, I can work on the .craft files if you'd really like.

On a mildly unrelated note, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! And have a happy anything else if you're not into Christmas! Cheers!!

18 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Oh, a first post? Welcome to the forums! Did you make your account just to say you like our work? :3

Really, I can work on the .craft files if you'd really like.

On a mildly unrelated note, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! And have a happy anything else if you're not into Christmas! Cheers!!

^^^ Merry Christmas everyone, or happy holidays, or kwanzaa, or I don't even know what else!
A little update for y'all: I have three major projects right now. One is SEP, and I'm finishing up the textures on the last two experiments for v1.0 as we speak. After that, work will continue on two things: The Titan parts, and probe parts, with an emphasis on antennas and experiments, including the cameras (finally). I may take the opportunity to redo all the antennas again. Their textures, and some of the meshes, are subpar. Below is a list of all the Titan parts I have planned, along with a horrible picture of my doodles in my notebook.

Spoiler

V0fwyuZ.jpg

1. LR-87 (Titan I variant)
  2. LR-87 (Titan II variant)
  3. LR-87 (Titan IV variant)
  4. LR-91 (1.5m Titan I variant)
  5. LR-91 (Titan II variant)
  6. LR-91 (Titan IV variant)
  7. 1.5m decoupler for Titan I
  8. Probe core nose for Titan I
  9. 1.5m fuel tank (Titan I stage 2)
  10. 1.875m>1.5m adapter tank for Titan I
  11. 1.875m fuel tank (Titan I variant)
  12. 1.875m decoupler (LR-91 interstage)
  13. 1.875m fuel tank (Titan II stage 2)
  14. 1.875m fuel tank (Titan II stage 1)
  15. 1.875m fuel tank (Titan IV stage 2)
  16. 1.875m fuel tank (Titan IV stage 1)
  17. Transtage AJ-10
  18. Transtage fuel tank (1.875m)
  19. 5 segment SRB (1.875m, visually slightly smaller)
  20. 7 segment SRB (1.875m, visually slightly smaller)
  21. 3 segment Titan IV SRB (1.875m)
  22. 1.875m nose cone for SRBs (includes separation boosters)

That's a lot of parts! Let me know if there is anything Titan related that you want that isn't included here. Also, if anyone wants the fuel tanks to be divided up more instead of monolithic, let me know!

Cheers everyone!

EDIT: Internet here at the grandparent's is so slow I didn't think the post would make it. Everyone else decided to take an afternoon nap so I figured I'd get some stuff done.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Don't underrate the power of the nap!

The sketches are a great idea, it lets you map out ideas beyond the minds eye... everything looks nice in there, I find :P

Merry Christmas and such, have a good holiday! (Although I understand the KSP bug... i'm over here wrestling with MM syntax. I wish the wiki was a bit more thorough at times.)

Good evening everyone! Here's a late Christmas present from everyone(Me and Cobalt) at Bluedog Design Bureau!

A wonderful Titan dev release

Obviously, the Titan is far from actually being finished, so this just includes the 6 engines as seen before (Titan I, II, and IV's respective first and seconds stages) for those of you who wish to test them (Without RealPlumes or TweakScale). Please leave any balancing feedback or any issues here on the thread!

Update-

On my way to liberate some punks~

CE7WHUl.png

Update 2- 

Okay, so scratch that top picture. I decided to install Scatterer and EVE and got some stunning picture of the launches of engine tests.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

10 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Good evening everyone! Here's a late Christmas present from everyone(Me and Cobalt) at Bluedog Design Bureau!

A wonderful Titan dev release

Obviously, the Titan is far from actually being finished, so this just includes the 6 engines as seen before (Titan I, II, and IV's respective first and seconds stages) for those of you who wish to test them (Without RealPlumes or TweakScale). Please leave any balancing feedback or any issues here on the thread!

Update-

On my way to liberate some punks~

CE7WHUl.png

Update 2- 

Okay, so scratch that top picture. I decided to install Scatterer and EVE and got some stunning picture of the launches of engine tests.

Looks awesome. What settings are you using, may I ask? Looks nothing like my Scatterer/EVE.

On 12/23/2015 at 4:28 PM, sandalwood said:

Hey, really liking this mod! What would make this even better is craft files of the crafts shown in the photos? Please?

Sorry for missing your post Sandal! I personally don't provide craft files for what I make because, well, I usually don't save the ships I make for screenshots. Bother Venom, they actually have time to play the game. :P

9 minutes ago, fs10inator said:

If I remember correctly, you need SmokeScreen in order for RP to work. I don't know why, but you need it.

@NotAgain that is correct, SmokeScreen is a dependency of RP. Here is a link to the thread. Sorry that this has taken so long to sort out. If it still doesn't work PM me and I'll get you sorted. :)