[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

ATTENTION ALL BDB USERS

The upcoming release will contain craft breaking changes to several parts.  Below you will find a list of all parts with changes which will result in the loss of any craft containing them after updating.  If you have ships, probes or stations containing any of these parts you should begin to take steps now in order to avoid any losses.

Affected Parts

• Leo-M-ANC Aerodynamic Nose Cone
  • Leo-M-63E "Vinci" Command Pod
  • Leo-M-3VS "Botticelli" Crew Module
  • Leo-M-KZR Heatshield
  • Leo-M-7RC Landing Parachute System
  • Leo-M-C32 Nose Docking Mechanism
  • Leo-M-68V Reentry Reaction Thrusters
  • Leo-M-5HA Radial Control Thruster
  • Leo-M-O7N "Medici" Service Module
  • Leo-M-59F Structural Plate

Again, if you have any craft in service with any of these parts they WILL be destroyed when you upgrade to the latest version after release.  Please make the necessary changes to avoid any losses and backup your save game prior to upgrading in case you miss any affected craft leading to a catastrophic loss.

This is not a release announcement.  This is a simple courtesy warning to allow you time to make arrangements for any active craft you have that could be affected.

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Meanwhile...

t5VjyGx.png

That you can certainly better.

The ratio of diameter to height looks wrong with the capsule. The right angle is 32° 31' 32" or about 32°. The hatch is much too small for Kerbals with helmet. The docking probe looks like a hydraulic car-jack. ;)

Edited by hraban

On 7/15/2016 at 10:51 PM, Jack Wolfe said:

Just ran a Gemini launch, targeted 250km orbit, verified using a Prometheus II first stage tank and engine on identical ascent profile. Performance was 15% below that of the Prom I tank and engine. Target orbit missed. If that's by design, I'll work from there.

EDIT: Obviously I need to gain a better understanding of the way your mod is structured and set aside my preconceived notions. I admire the work you've put into bringing this mod into being, and I will continue to support your efforts wholeheartedly.

14 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Didn't see this edit. I'm not sure. The Titan/Prometheus performance HAS seemed a bit out of whack for the last while. @Jso, any thoughts? Are they too big?

Seems fine to me, it goes like a bat out of hell, plenty of deltav. I put a Titan II GLV into a 250x250 orbit no problem.

The new Centaur looks really nice.

1 hour ago, Jso said:

Seems fine to me, it goes like a bat out of hell, plenty of deltav. I put a Titan II GLV into a 250x250 orbit no problem.

I went back and adjusted my ascent profile 5 degrees shallower, and she made it to a 250x250 orbit at 0 degrees inclination with about half a teaspoon of fuel left in the tank. Right on the money. It's launching to other inclinations where she runs a little short. That's easy to compensate for. Thanks for double-checking things. 

Edited by Jack Wolfe

1 hour ago, Jso said:

6 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

I went back and adjusted my ascent profile 5 degrees shallower, and she made it to a 250x250 orbit at 0 degrees inclination with about half a teaspoon of fuel left in the tank. Right on the money. It's launching to other inclinations where she runs a little short. That's easy to compensate for. Thanks for double-checking things. 

The Gemini GLV has just about exactly enough DeltaV IRL. What about the Titan 1 though? If its outperforming Titan 2 that's a problem.

@hraban I haven't looked into the other things you notices, but the docking mechanism just had the general shape roughed in, I have to go back and add more detail. I'm struggling to not put too much detail in. I don't want to wind up like the FASA Apollo :P

For those interested, some fun facts: the heat shield and capsule are indeed separate. The umbilical connects the capsule to the SM, and is not animated. I figured we all could deal with some visual clipping at separation. Its part of the decoupler, which is a separate part. The bottom of the ring of raised sections at the top of the SM is the bottom of the decoupler. Right now the complete CSM is something like 13 parts, though 4 of those are the RCS blocks. The service module is (unfortunately) one part, I couldnt find a satisfactory way to break it up. I'm not sure how the inside of the cargo bay segments will be modeled. The Block 3 SM will feature (as in ETS) a modified LEM Ascent Engine in place of the SPS.

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@hraban I haven't looked into the other things you notices, but the docking mechanism just had the general shape roughed in, I have to go back and add more detail. I'm struggling to not put too much detail in. I don't want to wind up like the FASA Apollo :P

Take it as a joke, I can live with your artistic freedom.

34 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

What about the Titan 1 though? If its outperforming Titan 2 that's a problem.

It's too big, but we knew that. I think you blamed it on bad source material. The Titan 1 engine is right where it should be relative to the 2 and 4 engines. I did not buff it to account for the vehicle being oversized.

52 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Awesome stuff! Just discovered it recently, and it is awesome! Will you expand on the Atlas 5, i.e. boosters and stuff?

Yup! There is a (poorly updated) roadmap linked in the first post if you want to see more of what's to come. For Atlas V, the 5xx fairing base will come in the form of a special interstage adapter for Centaur (or something, I'm not sure if it matters, since you can just put the new 2.5m fairing base under the 1.875m interstage). And the boosters are/were modeled but I wasn't happy with the way they came out. Good news is they can be made in a solid afternoon if I set one aside.

48 minutes ago, hraban said:

Take it as a joke, I can live with your artistic freedom.

*shrug* ok!

Just now, Jso said:

It's too big, but we knew that. I think you blamed it on bad source material. The Titan 1 engine is right where it should be relative to the 2 and 4 engines. I did not buff it to account for the vehicle being oversized.

hrmm. Maybe I'll try and take a look at the sizing again.

1 minute ago, legoclone09 said:

@CobaltWolf I'm trying to make a station with MOL but I need a docking area for Gemini, and I like what you have in the picture in the OP. How would I make that? I can't find the parts for adapters like that.

I used the radial structural nodes from stock. You could easily add a node_attach for the Agena docking cone using the coordinates for the bottom node, and then allow surface attach in the attach rules section.

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I used the radial structural nodes from stock. You could easily add a node_attach for the Agena docking cone using the coordinates for the bottom node, and then allow surface attach in the attach rules section.

Thank you!