[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.14.0 "металл" 30/Sep/2024)

CobaltWolf

On 11/10/2016 at 0:08 PM, CobaltWolf said:

So, spoke with E of Pi this morning and he confirmed that they had changed the S-IVC stage to have dual engines. I roughed in what a potential S-IVC would look like, with an extension tank and a new engine mount. Just to keep you guys interested :wink:

mzSZqS6.png

TtJ6BtW.png

3AGixxt.png

(I know, necro-quote). ETS Wiki, Propellant Mass:

S-IVB 104,326 kg

S-IVC 229,517 kg

How are we squeezing over twice the propellant into a roughly 50% increase in length? We could probably handwave away 75% mumbling something about the engine mount and IU.

Instant S-IVC:

Spoiler

+PART[bluedog_Saturn_S4B_Tankage]:First
{
	@name = bluedog_Saturn_S4C_Standin
	@MODEL
	{
		%scale = 1, 1.743, 1
	}
	@node_stack_top[1,,] *= 1.743
	@node_stack_bottom[1,,] *= 1.743

@title = Sarnus-SIVC-25K Liquid Fuel Tank
    @mass *= 2.2

@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen]
    {
        @amount *= 2.2
        @maxAmount *= 2.2
    }
    @RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
    {
        @amount *= 2.2
        @maxAmount *= 2.2
    }
}

@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount]:First
{
	node_stack_engine2 = 0.7, -0.866, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
	node_stack_engine3 = -0.7, -0.866, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
	%stackSymmetry = 1
}

An M43. With a 2.2 meter PP tank extension on the S-IE/F. Or a Kerbodyne S3-3600 would also work, it's just a little short. The UA1207's look big because of the smaller Saturn scale.

RHZPgeC.jpg

24 minutes ago, Jso said:

S-IVB 104,326 kg

S-IVC 229,517 kg

How are we squeezing over twice the propellant into a roughly 50% increase in length? We could probably handwave away 75% mumbling something about the engine mount and IU.

Instant S-IVC:

Hide contents

{
	@MODEL
	{
		%scale = 1, 1.743, 1
	}

@mass *= 2.2

@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen]
    {
        @amount *= 2.2
        @maxAmount *= 2.2
    }
    @RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
    {
        @amount *= 2.2
        @maxAmount *= 2.2
    }
}

{
	%stackSymmetry = 1
}

An M43. With a 2.2 meter PP tank extension on the S-IE/F. Or a Kerbodyne S3-3600 would also work, it's just a little short. The UA1207's look big because of the smaller Saturn scale.

Less gum flapping and more action, that's the way to do it, thanks!!

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Because I don't have time, otherwise I'd be actually working on stuff? I put in 30 minutes last night to try and clean up some things that were explicitly broken in Unity.

I know your busy, but when you get back to regular work, top up the S-IVC

1 hour ago, Jso said:

S-IVB 104,326 kg

S-IVC 229,517 kg

Instant S-IVC:

Reveal hidden contents

{
	@MODEL
	{
		%scale = 1, 1.743, 1
	}

@mass *= 2.2

@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen]
    {
        @amount *= 2.2
        @maxAmount *= 2.2
    }
    @RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
    {
        @amount *= 2.2
        @maxAmount *= 2.2
    }
}

{
	%stackSymmetry = 1
}

RHZPgeC.jpg

What tank texture did you use for PP?

Is the propellent on the Kane Service Module ment to be only LF (no Oxidizer). Maybe a bug :/

Edit: I fixed it. It seems that their is a incompatibility with the "Mk2 Extended KSPI Integration" Mod. When installed all Service Modules (just them) lose their Oxidizer.

Edited by Horstan

1 hour ago, Jso said:

I think your getting too long on the S-1F stage. It's only a 25% tank increase over the S-1E. Try it with Soltans.

tried an smaller S-1F but then  UA1207's cones where at the middle of the inter-stage. I don't know, I'm using this as a guide:

fetch.php?media=timelines:saturnic_mb.pn

16 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

tried an smaller S-1F but then  UA1207's cones where at the middle of the inter-stage. I don't know, I'm using this as a guide:

That's why I say try Soltans. They're smaller. Saturn would have to go from 3.75m to 4.25m to match the scale of the non Saturn parts.

2 hours ago, Jso said:

That's why I say try Soltans. They're smaller. Saturn would have to go from 3.75m to 4.25m to match the scale of the non Saturn parts.

Oh Sorry! Didn't knew that, Soltans are too small, and UA1205 are a little shorter. I'll try shrinking the UA1207 (plus they must be 7 segment per cannon)

Edit: if my math is right, this is it:

Oblp01E.png

aaaand done!, hmm I guess the SRB may be have to be 1.5m

riPgBSB.png

Edited by Drakenex

Ok about the HLR-ASTX "Obelix" Probe Core...so this thing has both a Direct and Relay transmitter (albeit short range) and with DSN 3 it's supposed to have a range of 35.4m Km.  However, the direct transmitter seems to be working but the relay transmitter definitely is not.  It will show a first hop distance of only 20m Km so it's well within range but it will never relay a transmission.  No antennas I've tested yet, stock or mod, will relay through these.  Looking at the configs I see absolutely nothing that should be interfering and all my other antennas including some dual-use ones appear to be working just fine.  FYI, I have extended the antennas on the Asterix to no effect...

Thoughts?

45 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

Ok about the HLR-ASTX "Obelix" Probe Core...so this thing has both a Direct and Relay transmitter (albeit short range) and with DSN 3 it's supposed to have a range of 35.4m Km.  However, the direct transmitter seems to be working but the relay transmitter definitely is not.  It will show a first hop distance of only 20m Km so it's well within range but it will never relay a transmission.  No antennas I've tested yet, stock or mod, will relay through these.  Looking at the configs I see absolutely nothing that should be interfering and all my other antennas including some dual-use ones appear to be working just fine.  FYI, I have extended the antennas on the Asterix to no effect...

Thoughts?

It shouldn't be a relay. Just the Helical/Telstar and the Apollo high gains. That said, I don't know why it doesn't work. Might be the internal transmitter screws with the squad relay code.

3 minutes ago, Jso said:

It shouldn't be a relay. Just the Helical/Telstar and the Apollo high gains. That said, I don't know why it doesn't work. Might be the internal transmitter screws with the squad relay code.

I think thats it. I've noticed a couple have "relay" antennas that don't actually work as such, only as direct.

27 minutes ago, Jso said:

20 minutes ago, minepagan said:

I think thats it. I've noticed a couple have "relay" antennas that don't actually work as such, only as direct.

In fairness, that *should* be an extremely low tech relay since the bus doesn't contain any form of instrumentation. Makes me feel like I need to make some even smaller micro solar panels...

46 minutes ago, minepagan said:

I'll sandbox a couple others I know of and see if they're doing the same thing.  I hadn't noticed until this point but then I've only been back to KSP for just over a week...

23 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

In fairness, that *should* be an extremely low tech relay since the bus doesn't contain any form of instrumentation. Makes me feel like I need to make some even smaller micro solar panels...

That's exactly how it's being used too since I have other relay antennas but they are overkill for this job (a simple lunar relay).  I'll goof with the antenna config on the core a bit and see what I can discover - as to your other micro solar panel idea...do you mean an integrated panel/relay?  Similar to the Gemini direct transmitter panel?

33 minutes ago, JediRangerkendor said:

Any news on making all the capsules compatible with USI Life Support?

7 minutes ago, Jso said:

It needs somebody who knows what to do to do what needs to be done, if anything.

Looks like we only have configs up to the first Apollo dev release. It doesn't include any of the variants (things like the Blk5 capsule, or the Blk3 MM) so someone needs to add those.

9 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

I'll sandbox a couple others I know of and see if they're doing the same thing.  I hadn't noticed until this point but then I've only been back to KSP for just over a week...

That's exactly how it's being used too since I have other relay antennas but they are overkill for this job (a simple lunar relay).  I'll goof with the antenna config on the core a bit and see what I can discover - as to your other micro solar panel idea...do you mean an integrated panel/relay?  Similar to the Gemini direct transmitter panel?

I mean, it's a starting node part or something like that, correct? It seems like you could just toss a couple into an orbit early on to avoid blackouts - of course, I'm still used to the RemoteTech way of thinking.

And for micro solar panel, I was just thinking of something similar to the FASA one. I might be able rig something together using the assets from the solar battery part.

43 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I mean, it's a starting node part or something like that, correct? It seems like you could just toss a couple into an orbit early on to avoid blackouts - of course, I'm still used to the RemoteTech way of thinking.

And for micro solar panel, I was just thinking of something similar to the FASA one. I might be able rig something together using the assets from the solar battery part.

Yeah, the Obelix is a start node core but to make any real use out of the relay you have to get to DSN 2 at the very least and DSN 3 is really where you can start using it.  I'm playing a 10% science game with a 95% contract science penalty :o so I don't go quickly up the tree but I do have plenty of funds.  The Obelix is the perfect solution to early game limited distance relay needs in situations like this.

On a different note.  I've been perusing all my antenna configs (I'm a GREPaholic) and I've not found another single antenna outside of BDB that has dual configurations.  Every other antenna that I thought was dual mode was in fact only an upgrade being applied during tech tree advancement.  Those upgrades would change an antenna from Direct to Relay but never were they present on the antenna at the same time.  I'm going to test out the Obelix (Relay/Internal), LEM Ascent Cockpit (Direct/Internal) and the Sienno (Direct/Internal) to see what's working and what's not.  Will report back shortly...

Ok so...embarrassing math moment for me.  Antennas are working fine...I made an error with my math.  Had it not been for RL interfering earlier today I would've updated that last post a lot sooner...

So, relay on the Obelix is all good, my math is not.  The Internal/Relay setup as well as the Direct/Internal setups of the cockpit and Sienno are perfectly fine.

Only my head is broken...