[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

8 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

@Angel-125 I know MOLE has a KSPedia entry, will the DSEV have one down the line?  Just found out I need a minimum level 2 scientist to load experiments into the D2 lab if (when) I forget to load them in the VAB :sticktongue: 

If not, are there any other rules or surprises I should expect?  Still trying to figure out the resource system too... 

Probably when I finish all the parts, which will take a few months.

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Probably when I finish all the parts, which will take a few months.

Groovy.  No rush.  Many things in life are worth waiting for.

Does your D2 Greenhouse/Science Lab etc all follow the same "rules"/resource system as Pathfider and the rest?  Specifically looking for info regarding resource conversion in flight (greenhouse-life support) kind of stuff.  Along the lines of how long my Kerbals can survive if I pack this much stuff.  If it makes a difference, I have TAC-LS installed

7 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

Groovy.  No rush.  Many things in life are worth waiting for.

Does your D2 Greenhouse/Science Lab etc all follow the same "rules"/resource system as Pathfider and the rest?  Specifically looking for info regarding resource conversion in flight (greenhouse-life support) kind of stuff.  Along the lines of how long my Kerbals can survive if I pack this much stuff.  If it makes a difference, I have TAC-LS installed

Yup, next update normalizes all the life support systems, and replaces the current greenhouse (generates food over time) with a continual production greenhouse. The only greenhouse that produces resources over time will be Snacks. At the rate I'm going, I'm shooting for next week for an update; Buffalo Wings is taking much longer than anticipated. If Squad releases KSP 1.3 next week then it'll take longer.

Edited by Angel-125

12 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Way cool! Nice to see people using the mod. :) Sounds like the Youtubber is looking for larger engines? Like, tweakscale or something?

tweakscale would be nice :P 

also whats with the water needed for the fusion pellets, that confused me!

4 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

tweakscale would be nice :P 

also whats with the water needed for the fusion pellets, that confused me!

In the NASA paper, fusion pellets are a mix of deuterium and tritium. Deuterium can be obtained from water in the form of "heavy water" deuterium oxide, and hence you need Water. Tritium comes from the Minerals resource.

19 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

In the NASA paper, fusion pellets are a mix of deuterium and tritium. Deuterium can be obtained from water in the form of "heavy water" deuterium oxide, and hence you need Water. Tritium comes from the Minerals resource.

Well i didnt know that before i made this video! but heres your engines in their glory, also if anyone says they overheat too much, i think they are perfect the way they are !

Ok, now that I had a chance to watch your video (didn't realize that you made the first one, sorry about that), you definitely need Water and Minerals to create FusionPellets, but in Pulsed Plasma mode, you need both FusionPellets and Water for propulsion. Previously you only needed FusionPellets- I was thinking of Project Icarus at the time- but I realized that I needed to balance the engine more, and added Water. Water serves as the reaction mass, and FusionPellets are there to heat the Water. It's the prototype of a classic fusion torch in that respect. :)

Oh, and you're not blowing up engines, you're simply dropping off the unnecessary mass, Atlas style. :wink:

Edited by Angel-125

21 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, now that I had a chance to watch your video (didn't realize that you made the first one, sorry about that), you definitely need Water and Minerals to create FusionPellets, but in Pulsed Plasma mode, you need both FusionPellets and Water for propulsion. Previously you only needed FusionPellets- I was thinking of Project Icarus at the time- but I realized that I needed to balance the engine more, and added Water. Water serves as the reaction mass, and FusionPellets are there to heat the Water. It's the prototype of a classic fusion torch in that respect. :)

Oh, and you're not blowing up engines, you're simply dropping off the unnecessary mass, Atlas style. :wink:

i was soooooo close to skipping back out the system after that 'mass reduction' but i love it! and now i have to design one with a water backup :P 

While you're looking at potential tweaks to DSEV, would you consider adding a variation to one of your adapters to allow them to connect to Bison parts? You can go from there to other parts of your collection, so it would be nice to have a form-fitting piece to bridge that gap.

Here are a few pics of the SEV - Nimoy, the successor to the SEV Kelley (which was recently deorbited):

Enjoy! Suggestions/critiques are welcome, but I only have a few days before my Duna transfer window, so I may only be able to make changes for my Eve departure much later :)

9Elqxeq.jpg

/\ This is the successful launch stack of the Nimoy, a single launch proof of concept and research vessel.  Yup, there are 4 SRBs strapped onto the sides of those larger LRBs.

Features the Clydesdale, a D2 Habitation Module, D2 Science Module, and a SETI 2.5m greenhouse.  Propulsion is 4 Nerva motors, with 3 KSPI-E graphene folding radiators, and 3 Advanced Large Solar arrays and other parts from the KSO Station Parts pack.

The KSC science department even loaded (most) of the experiments I need for a few contracts I have.

Fully fueled, it has 10 038 m/s of dV!  Should be enough for a run to and from Duna... right? :o

Here it is in orbit:

\/ (front view)

br8di2l.jpg

/\ note the Mystery Goo Powered position lights!

VWiUOg4.jpg

/\Docking the Minmus Exploration Module to the Nimoy

xFcghW1.jpg

/\ A KSO EWBCL docked with the Nimoy to drop off some crew, experiment modules, and back up food and water... Just in case.

Thanks @Angel-125!  

Edited by smotheredrun

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Looks grwat, @smotheredrun, thanks for sharing! :) I didn't know that the KSOS still worked in 1.2.2, I flew it way back in 0.25. How does it handle?

A couple of us ended up getting some patches together (thanks @Deimos Rast! ) to make them both fly again.  Just a few more bugs to hunt and hoping to get permission to share them.

They fly fairly well in 1.2.2 with those patches, but stock changes to reaction wheels is a big issue with these.

Edited by smotheredrun

DSEV 2.0.0.6 is now available:

New Part
- S.A.F.E.R. : The Safe Affordable Fission Engine with Radiators generates ElectricCharge for your spacecraft needs. It is based upon the real-world SAFE - 400 reactor created by NASA.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Updated TAC-LS greenhouse to support continual production.
- When Far Future Technologies is installed, FusionPellets are made from LqdHe3 and LqdDeuterium.
- The Tesla, Viper, and Supernova all support TweakScale.
NOTE: This is my first pass at introducing TweakScale into DSEV. I need an experienced person who can help tune the system.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

DSEV 2.0.0.6 is now available:

New Part
- S.A.F.E.R. : The Safe Affordable Fission Engine with Radiators generates ElectricCharge for your spacecraft needs. It is based upon the real-world SAFE - 400 reactor created by NASA.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Updated TAC-LS greenhouse to support continual production.
- When Far Future Technologies is installed, FusionPellets are made from LqdHe3 and LqdDeuterium.
- The Tesla, Viper, and Supernova all support TweakScale.
NOTE: This is my first pass at introducing TweakScale into DSEV. I need an experienced person who can help tune the system.

FML i asked for tweekscale a week ago and you answered, do you prefer whisky, whiskey or beer?

also i love what you have done with the fusion pellets and far future tech, now instead of lookig at this mod as 2that will be cool when its finished" im installing it.....

3 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

FML i asked for tweekscale a week ago and you answered, do you prefer whisky, whiskey or beer?

Whiskey, though I'm more of a one tequil-floor kind of guy these days. :wink: Reminds me that I spent two summers in the UK a looong time ago while my folks were working there. We toured many a brewery and each one had a video on how whiskey was made. Fun stuff.

Anyway, the tweakscale is preliminary, but it should get you started. I might have time for a patch or two before KSP 1.3 drops.

@Angel-125 got a funny bug for you, ig you take 2 centrafuges and put them on a ship, but with the rear one backwards, then launch deploy and start them spinning, if you stop the rear one it jumps its alignment 30 degrees off axis and cant be recovered. This has happened 3 times now... I can make a video if uou need it...

6 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

@Angel-125 got a funny bug for you, ig you take 2 centrafuges and put them on a ship, but with the rear one backwards, then launch deploy and start them spinning, if you stop the rear one it jumps its alignment 30 degrees off axis and cant be recovered. This has happened 3 times now... I can make a video if uou need it...

Yeah I'd need to see a video. How reproducible is it?

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Yeah I'd need to see a video. How reproducible is it?

ask and ye shall receive! did this just now, and once i get my quest video up you can see it at the end of that too. you basically need to launch a ship and then change back to the ksc, when you next are on your ship if you retract the centrafuge 'something snaps' and it tils it seems somilar to infernal robotics part drift to my untrained eyes.

jump to 4.30 in the video

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.