[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

18 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

@Angel-125

1. What engines will be added with NautilusX? What will be the Isp?

2. Will there be a centrifuge? What size?

3. Do you know how excited I am for this? The Nautilus is my favorite concept for a spacecraft. :D

1. Not sure about the engine. A low thrust engine doesn't mesh well with a multi-ton ship, you would spend hours on your engine burn. I am currently learning towards a "nuclear F-1" engine; basically DUMBO from the sixties, with high TWR.

2. There will be a 10m ish Nautilus style inflatable centrifuge.

such things don't happen overnight, and my job means I don't have as much free time as before, so please be patient. Next DSEV release is Odyssey Two: fuel tank revamp, possibly a duna lander something like the Mars Excursion Module. I am debating importing a couple of station parts from HabTech as well versus making my own.

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

such things don't happen overnight, and my job means I don't have as much free time as before, so please be patient. Next DSEV release is Odyssey Two: fuel tank revamp, possibly a duna lander something like the Mars Excursion Module. I am debating importing a couple of station parts from HabTech as well versus making my own.

No problem, I saw that update, I can't wait for the release though :)

Edited by Spaceception

Last month I finally got to work on my top secret mod. That work is still ongoing, but this month is DSEV month, and I've done a bunch of planning for the Odyssey Two release. One of the things I'm doing is rebuilding and modernizing the old station parts from Multipurpose Colony Modules (Pathfinder's predecessor) and giving them a new home in DSEV- the older parts will still be around but as a separate download instead of being included in Pathfinder's Extras folder. These newer parts are 2.5m in diameter and the next logical step from MOLE's 1.875m parts. For the station parts, I'm looking at:

Tranquility Mk2 Habitat - Equal to the upgraded Mark One Habitat, uses the stock Hitchhiker IVA.

Density Mk2 Science Lab - A bit better than the upgraded Mark One Laboratory Extension, uses the stock MPL IVA.

Quantum Leap Airlock - Think Quest airlock, with custom IVA.

Mk2 Pathfinder Integration Node - A retextured Multipurpose Base Unit  from MCM that bridges the station modules with Pathfinder, with custom IVA

Homestead Mk3 - Inflatable module with functionality similar to the Bigby Orbital Workshop, with custom IVA. It's lighter than the BOW, but more expensive. The Homestead has a long history even outside of KSP, and in the game it will finish up the Kopernicus and be used for Nautilus.

I have a few other parts planned to round things out. Not much to show as a preview right now, but I'm just getting started:

8MO10o5.jpg

As usual, no timeframe, and things are subject to change.

On 6/1/2017 at 6:39 PM, Angel-125 said:

Wow, lots of less than optimal but amusing landings! Any idea what happened with the ship's engine on Dres? Did you leave it running on idle and it overheated? I couldn't tell from the video.

it wasn't on, it seemed to clip into the ground and pop, i may have been in timewarp at the time...... 

i spent the evening upgrading to 1.3, and oh the loading times are great, but i cant do anything untill i get cryotanks installed (the main section of the scrapheap station. but  everything else is working (i may have snuck a dev build of some mods that aren't released yet) :P 

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Nice.  :wink:  On that 'trimmed in flight' note: Can you still use them to attach via KIS?  Or will the configuration have to be set from launch?

Each end of the part has two nodes, one for the 2.5m attachment, and one for the 1.25m attachment. If both nodes don't have a part attached then they'll be untouched. If one of the nodes has a part attached then the other node will be trimmed. KIS throws a monkey wrench into things, so if you attach a part to one of the end nodes then the endcap won't get updated until you reload the scene. It's either that or burn cpu cycles trying to watch nodes getting updated with child parts, an action that hardly occurs.

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Each end of the part has two nodes, one for the 2.5m attachment, and one for the 1.25m attachment. If both nodes don't have a part attached then they'll be untouched. If one of the nodes has a part attached then the other node will be trimmed. KIS throws a monkey wrench into things, so if you attach a part to one of the end nodes then the endcap won't get updated until you reload the scene. It's either that or burn cpu cycles trying to watch nodes getting updated with child parts, an action that hardly occurs.

How about if I attach something to the1.25m in the VAB, then detach it on arrival (via KIS) and want to attach something to the 2.5m node?

(Note: I've done a lot of this type of thing with the current MKS parts, which often have two/three nodes stacked over each other.  I'm just wondering if you're doing something tricky to actually remove the nodes, or if it's just 'they aren't in use, so they won't get into play'.

6 minutes ago, DStaal said:

How about if I attach something to the1.25m in the VAB, then detach it on arrival (via KIS) and want to attach something to the 2.5m node?

(Note: I've done a lot of this type of thing with the current MKS parts, which often have two/three nodes stacked over each other.  I'm just wondering if you're doing something tricky to actually remove the nodes, or if it's just 'they aren't in use, so they won't get into play'.

In that case you're out of luck. You would need to reload the scene. I could just leave the nodes alone, but that has different complications. I don't see people constantly building things with KIS. Sounds like MKS does something similar? That explains the multinode thing with the F1 engine.

Edited by Angel-125

37 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

In that case you're out of luck. You would need to reload the scene. I could just leave the nodes alone, but that has different complications. I don't see people constantly building things with KIS. Sounds like MKS does something similar? That explains the multinode thing with the F1 engine.

I'll admit I'm used to reloading the scene - with the MKS parts the nodes will exist, but the structure won't until it's attached and the scene is reloaded.

But I'll admit I've built some pretty big bases with KIS:  (Various different sized section sent up, constructed mostly via KIS, although there are a couple of docked joints.)

Spoiler

screenshot_2017-05-20--12-58-48.png

(There's a small pod of a Pathfinder base just out of the scene to the right, but this base was built to exploit an MKS-only mechanic.)

12 minutes ago, Ragingdonut said:

I'm still running 1.2.2, but I can't seem to download the 1.2.2 version of the mod, is that still possible?

Here you go!  Click on changelog, then look down for the most recent 1.2.2 version.

Edited by Krakatoa
link doesn't go all the way

@Space Kadet Just saw Karborundrum Quest 27, loved it. :) I heard you had trouble with recycling spacecraft; did you turn on resource distribution? Part recycling requires resource distribution to be turned on and for the storage tanks set to either Share or Consume. I'm guessing that's not intuitive, so I changed it so that you don't have to have resource distribution turned on in order to receive the recycled resources.

Edited by Angel-125

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.