[1.1.1] [FINAL UPDATE CactEye Telescopes Continued 7.1.0

Angelo Kerman

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I simply cannot get my telescope to work :(

It's probably something very, very obvious, but I've watched old tutorials in YouTube, searched all 3 threads and Reddit and most information is imprecise, old or inexistent...

How exactly do these parts work? I mounted the Wide-Angle green part into the FungEye, added a HECS, some RCS, batteries and panels, even a little ladder expecting some future repairs, and up it goes to orbit. Then, I right-click on it, select "control from here" and attempt to "toggle GUI" and nothing, absolutely nothing happens and I've tried 4 times, relaunching the thing. Yes, I have the very latest version found here. I l also have the latest DOE.

By clicking on everything I discovered that "release" does just that: jettisons the green Wide-Angle thing from the bay (which can be "opened" via menu). I select a target for the craft, and even manually point the lenses to the Mun. When I pointed at the sun a message told me I had ruined the optics, but nothing apart from that. I click, click and click on the "toggle GUI" button and the only thing it does is remove the target and then display "No Target" on the screen.

Help me please :(

Edit: I'm forcing OpenGL, running on Windows 7 64-bit with no problems and no crashes whatsoever. Using standard Steam launcher.

Edited by Supermarine

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, Supermarine said:

Hello!

I simply cannot get my telescope to work :(

It's probably something very, very obvious, but I've watched old tutorials in YouTube, searched all 3 threads and Reddit and most information is imprecise, old or inexistent...

How exactly do these parts work? I mounted the Wide-Angle green part into the FungEye, added a HECS, some RCS, batteries and panels, even a little ladder expecting some future repairs, and up it goes to orbit. Then, I right-click on it, select "control from here" and attempt to "toggle GUI" and nothing, absolutely nothing happens and I've tried 4 times, relaunching the thing. Yes, I have the very latest version found here. I l also have the latest DOE.

By clicking on everything I discovered that "release" does just that: jettisons the green Wide-Angle thing from the bay (which can be "opened" via menu). I select a target for the craft, and even manually point the lenses to the Mun. When I pointed at the sun a message told me I had ruined the optics, but nothing apart from that. I click, click and click on the "toggle GUI" button and the only thing it does is remove the target and then display "No Target" on the screen.

Help me please :(

Edit: I'm forcing OpenGL, running on Windows 7 64-bit with no problems and no crashes whatsoever. Using standard Steam launcher.

Are you using the Remote Tech mod?  If you have remote tech you might need the patch dll file from Remote Tech FX.

Interesting mod and I like the idea, but I found myself hating the twitch-based gameplay it requires.  I'm horrible at it (and my computer that barely handles KSP doesn't help...) and tend to avoid games that use it in general.  Any chance for something like MechJeb that can lock onto a target and maintain that while I make observations?  (I do find it odd that I can get a telescope for my back yard that can lock onto any star or planet in the sky automatically but we don't expect this to be able to do the same.)  Even with a part or science cost.

On February 1, 2016 at 5:24 PM, RocketSquid said:

I am using a simple, FungEye based scope, but no matter what I do the GUI will not open.

Can anyone help with this? It doesn't have any gyroscopes, but has basic reaction wheels. It uses a level 1 wide field camera.

On 2/4/2016 at 7:25 PM, RocketSquid said:

Can anyone help with this? It doesn't have any gyroscopes, but has basic reaction wheels. It uses a level 1 wide field camera.

Neither telescope has built-in gyroscopes. You need to use the GRU-1000 or GRU-2000, which are located in the Command & Control tab.

22 hours ago, debitfett said:

The settings dont save when i leave the game. If any of my telescops are pointing near the sun thay cease to function, i dont want this. can some one hemp me.

You can disable the sun damage in the settings window. Go to the Space Center, click the cactus, and change the settings there. :)

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Neither telescope has built-in gyroscopes. You need to use the GRU-1000 or GRU-2000, which are located in the Command & Control tab.

I meant I didn't have any attatched.

8 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Do you have a probe core attached?

I hope so, considering the craft is fully controllable and unkerbbed. The alternative is that there's a glitch, or some sort of ghost-kerbal piloting it.

12 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

I meant I didn't have any attatched.

I hope so, considering the craft is fully controllable and unkerbbed. The alternative is that there's a glitch, or some sort of ghost-kerbal piloting it.

Possibly in issue with installation then. Can we see a pic of your GameData folder and the cacteye folder. 

Question: Is this compatible with the mod CustomAsteroids? Or Kopernicus (not sure if Kopernicus changes Asteroid spawn rates, but I know CustomAsteroids does). In my Player.log, I found:

CactEye 2: Asteroid Spawner: Was not able to adjust spawn rate; AsteroidSpawner object is null!
 System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CactEye2.CactEyeAsteroidSpawner.AdjustSpawnRate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and a lot of:

Could not load file or assembly 'CactEye2, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
The class DistantObjectHook.DOEWrapper could not be loaded, used in DistantObjectHook, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

I'm guessing that's related to the Distant Object Enhancement mod, which I have installed, specifically for this mod. Looking in the CactEye folder, I noticed the plugin for the DistantObjectHook is in it's own GameData folder buried inside, so I'll try moving that to the my main GameData folder and seeing if that resolves the issue. Would be swell if it's that easy of a fix.

On another note: I really like the models/textures of this mod, and it seems wells thought out (part wise). Parts are a bit expensive (looking at you telescope tube), but that's to be expected I suppose.

Cheers.

---edit---

It turns out I completely botched the install of the entire mod; embarrassing, since I have well over 100 mod installs under my belt. Whoops! That probably takes care of the the second error I listed, still not sure on the first though, I'll have to check it again next time the game crashes (which shouldn't be too long, sigh).

Edited by Deimos Rast
update

27 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Still waiting for OPM support :Dalways use it in all my installs.

What support would that be? The mod already comes with science definition for OPM so you'll have to be more specific... :rolleyes:

Edited by Svm420

Really cool mod, but I have 2 main issues.
First of all, setting won't save after closing the game.
Secondly, keep pointing at really far planets (anything but Eve, Duna and Dres actually) is almost impossible. Any tips?

2 hours ago, Alpha188 said:

Really cool mod, but I have 2 main issues.
First of all, setting won't save after closing the game.
Secondly, keep pointing at really far planets (anything but Eve, Duna and Dres actually) is almost impossible. Any tips?

There is a settings.cfg file in CactEye/Resources which contains:

CactEye2
{
	DebugMode = True
	SunDamage = True
	GyroDecay = True
}

You could try that.  Not sure why there needs to be a button in the applauncher myself (would love to see blizzy support personally).

And on the second point, that's better than I've done. I managed Jool, because it's a fattie planet. My only suggestion would be to try the better of the two gyros. In the telescope view, if you didn't notice, there is the second slider on the bottom, which increases the sensitivity of the gyros if you slide it to the right, I believe, which might be counter-intuitive. If you're desperate, you could turn to the configs again, and look at the part.cfg for each gryo, found in folders tele_gru1 and tele_gru2 (in the Parts folder) at:

gyroScale = 0.2
gyroFineScale = 0.05

Mind you, I haven't tested any of this, so I don't know what it will do, or whether it should be scaled up or down. Obviously, make a backup of either, or both before editing, yada yada. Maybe try an MM config instead if you're so able/inclinded.

That's all I can think of to be honest, but I agree with you. I couldn't even get Duna:mad: but I got a lot of centerfold shots (real racy stuff) of the Mun and Minmus.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...