What's the furthest planet or celestial body you've visited?

JackBush

Well, Eeloo. An answer I suspect you'll get rather a lot of.

Despite playing for hundreds of hours over the last couple of years I've still yet to visit Dres however. Or successfully return from Moho or Eve.

Most satisfying destination is undoubtedly the Jool 5 trip, it encompases design challenges with very pretty, very varied destinations in one mission.

The furthest planet I have ever visited was "Duna".. ( and returned my kerbals safely home from )

Actual now that I think of it, I should just go further since I have 0 trouble building larger ships and go where I want to since im an experienced player..

However I just like duna so I mentaly have just kind of been stuck with a space station and a base on duna.

I typical loose interest in ksp after a while so when I hear about a new update on the way I tyipcal stop playing and wait and start over again ( and again and again and again ) :cool:

The problem with this question is that distance doesnt equal order of visitation. My farthest planet I've visited is Eeloo, but I still haven't gone to Dres, only about half the moons of Jool, and I've only been to Moho by the infinite fuel debug option (I was really close though, really really close.... next time)

All of them, manned and returned. Moho most difficult to visit due to the insane closing speeds and dV required just to slow down and achieve orbit. Tylo was the most difficult to land on due to Kerbin like gravity, and no atmo that would allow parachutes to slow you down. Eve is just a cow. Thick atmo is happy to burn you up and that, combined with the high gravity, makes getting back to orbit rather tough.

Edited by Scarecrow88

Unmanned = Eeloo

Manned = Dres

I’ve landed on and returned Kerbals from every planet/moon from Moho to Dres. Beyond Dres, I’ve landed and returned an unmanned lander on every planet/moon (except Jool, of course).

Edited by OhioBob

Eeloo, a long time ago. I never felt any desire to go back again.

17115894715_ce574a4522_c.jpg

Manned, Laythe. I don't do all that much crewed stuff unless there's things that need plugging together.

Edit: that pic is probably 2 years old at least ( it's from 0.23, I reuploaded it - or maybe I went back & took it again or something ) and I've only just noticed the assymetric treads. Goddammit now I can't stop noticing it.

Edited by Van Disaster

Eeloo, but not in career mode (I normally get burned out or a new release comes before the Eeloo transfer window comes, because I don't like to time warp for years with my space program doing nothing.

I've been thinking of downloading the outer planets mod... because Eeloo doesn't seem so far out... heck, its within the orbit of Jool a significant portion of time.

Plus... solar panels can still work acceptably there (at least near apoapsis).

While RTGs do become more competitive out there, if this were like out solar system, they'd be completely useless.

You'd have better luck running solar panels off of moonshine at night.

Real life Jupiter is 5.2 AU from the sun (or at least, that is the distance of the semi-major axis)

Jool is 5.057 kAU from Kerbol... that is 5.057x the distance from its sun than kerbin's distance from the same sun.

Real life Neptune is almost exactly 30 AU from the sun... we should have a planet in KSP that is 6x farther from the sun than Jool is.

The inner solar system is very much like our own... then we get to the main planet Jool/the jupiter analogue... and the rest of the solar system is missing.

Even Eeloo at apoapsis is only 8.35x as far from the sun as Kerbin.

A neptune analogue should be about 3.5x that distance!

A pluto analogue should have an apoapsis 5.9x larger than Eeloo's (and about 1/8th the solar panel output.

Nope.. Eeloo isn't so far.

Sadly, I have to admit that Minmus is the furthest Ive ever done a manned mission to. Only sent probes to Eve and Duna, and I haven't been to the rest of the planets yet. Got too much into the aviation aspect of KSP that the space exploration aspect went out the window. I guess I'm just waiting until the game provides more fun towards the space exploration for me to start trying it.

I sent a rover to Laythe once. I called it the Laythe Nacho. It had four extra tiny wheels that didn't touch the ground and weighed it down. I noticed this intriguing design feature during parachute descent into the central basin of what I know only as Dansen Island (named by Brotoro in his Long-Term Laythe Series). That's the furthest I've been from the centre of the solar system, genuinely. Adding the word "genuinely" to the previous sentence is necessary because I also sent a kerbal to Bop using cheats, that was the mission that found the [REDACTED], and Bop technically gets further from the sun than Laythe.

P.S. I think the [REDACTED] on Bop originally came from Laythe. It was probably thrown off the moon by a volcanic eruption or a large impact, and ended up on Bop.

Furthest I've gone stock is Pol or Vall, depending on how you classify distance around already-distant bodies.

But for absolute farthest, pretty much the last thing I did before I left for school was mount an expedition to Urlum. I managed to land on Wal's equatorial ridge with fumes in the tank. Those poor guys are gonna be stuck on that distant moon until I get back, and then wait even longer for the rescue to get there. Hope they brought some magazines :P

Back in 0.90 I had a career game where I went to all of the planets and moons on a series of missions. Each time I went somewhere I always had Jeb, Bob , and Bill go together (and sometimes some extra kerbals too). I did not do any solo manned missions, it was all 3 of the orange suits on every mission (apart from screwing around on Kerbin). This included taking all 3 to Eve and back in one ship. I was very proud of this achievement - it made for a good self challenge.

You can see my post about the whole thing with some pictures here.

Jool, although if I'm entirely honest I haven't really done much there, so the furthest body I've actually had a proper play with is Duna. When the update hits I'll try to focus on deeper exploration, and then when 1.1 comes out I'll probably install Outer Planets and go a bit mental with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.