Devnotes Tuesday: KSP at the White House

SQUAD

I still think that Squad can be considered as an indie ... How do you define [indie]?

Independently produced and published i.e. without the backing of a major game studio (Bethesda, Valve, EA, Ubisoft etc). Squad are definitely still indie, no matter which way you slice it. It's great, I agree with you, I can't imagine EA or whatever creating such a.. niche product.

The decision to not invite HarvesteR was the worst decision the POTUS's administration has made, there needs to be a congressional investigation into this. :P Or did he get to go?

BTW, when will we be getting a GUI change? IIRC, the GUI style hasn't changed since the game started, and it's starting to look very dated.

Pretty sure most of the team turned it down to continue working on the game. :sticktongue:

Pretty sure most of the team turned it down to continue working on the game. :sticktongue:

Max said last Squadcast that there were only 2 people going. I don't remember for sure if he actually said so, but I got the impression at least that there were only 2 invites.

I assumed that HarvesteR was going to be one of the two to go. It never occurred to me it would be otherwise.

Any link to the gifs?

My link was preceded. :P

There's a video somewhere with more of his work, lemme try and find it. EDIT: There is this thing: https://danrpaulsen.wordpress.com

Max said last Squadcast that there were only 2 people going. I don't remember for sure if he actually said so, but I got the impression at least that there were only 2 invites.

I assumed that HarvesteR was going to be one of the two to go. It never occurred to me it would be otherwise.

Max got an invite, Kasper said "The team was invited" so I still believe the entire team got invited and only 2 actually went. :)

Edited by Endersmens

Those animations are nice! Need something different for water / liquid sample. I think it should be a drinking glass, since Kerbals like to be hands-on with the new and mysterious :)

HarvesteR has replied, over on Reddit:

NovaSilisko

None of the devs got to go?

Charlie_Zulu

Could be that none could be spared in between developing, while producers' time is more expendable?

NovaSilisko

Call me crazy but I wouldn't have objected to a few days' pause in development to give them that opportunity.

Goof512

They are likely working on the update at full tilt right now, it's a shame, but they're dedicated.

KSP_HarvesteR

It would have been much worse if I had had my papers in order... With my documentation in the state it currently is, I wouldn't have been able to go, however much time I was able to spare off development.

Cheers

CaptRobau

My company uses Slack too, it's pretty cool it can go all the way up from simple chat to all those integration that you use.

KSP_HarvesteR

It really is an amazing tool. In 45 minutes I was able to integrate all the services we use. I've been trying to get skype to do that for 2 years now.

I foresee a day when we use Slack as our primary communications tool (atm it's mostly a dashboard for notifications). Getting everyone to make the move will probably take a while though.

Cheers

Those animations are nice! Need something different for water / liquid sample. I think it should be a drinking glass, since Kerbals like to be hands-on with the new and mysterious :)

HarvesteR has replied, over on Reddit:

A lesson to remember now. Always get your papers in order, you never know when you are going to be invited to the White House :P

ehehehehehehe...

:ugh: I hope that doesn't mean you guys are throwing a possible data presentation overhaul out the window... This game really needs it.

To try and rejig the UI in any way at this point would be unwise. It sounds like there will be enough work getting Unity 5 working without changing back-end code to allow new data presentation methods. A data-presentation overhaul sounds like a BIG job and one that should be left to a later update; but hopefully one that will be easier once KSP is using Unity 5.

To try and rejig the UI in any way at this point would be unwise. It sounds like there will be enough work getting Unity 5 working without changing back-end code to allow new data presentation methods. A data-presentation overhaul sounds like a BIG job and one that should be left to a later update; but hopefully one that will be easier once KSP is using Unity 5.
When you're rewriting it is a good time to implement a redesign. Just push the U5 update out another month or two. The UI is getting really long in the tooth and its simplistic charm isn't charming.

Seems like we've been waiting around forever for this game to get polished up and optimized... Maybe after U5 we can stay the half-written, incoherent features for an update and get some serious optimization and bugfixing going on.

2 weeks ago 1.1 was unplayable, but before 1.0.5 was announced it was heading to QA soonâ„¢?

1.1 is Unity 5 implementation, so using completely new system. 1.0.5 is is what we have now with few more parts. Those two versions can't be more different than they are.

2 weeks ago 1.1 was unplayable, but before 1.0.5 was announced it was heading to QA soonâ„¢?

1.1 was unplayable because they upgraded to Unity 5.2. The Unity 5 build was almost ready, and then they started upgrading to 5.2. They have their reasons, I assure you.

The more I read words like 'the interface is now feature complete' the more I realise that some of the basic problems when using the interface will never be fixed.

Still, the unity 5 upgrade will solve many many many problems with the game due to the fact that 'there's a mod for that' becomes much more of a real-world solution.

I have a hope for the game where a total conversion mod will be possible that changes literally everything about the game, the icons, user interface, physics, aerodynamics, models and so forth which would mean that whatever does not work in an optimal way can be fixed.

I've given up making suggestions or reporting bugs as it really seems a pointless task but I think one thing that all of us on the forum should get behind is to increase the modability of the game to the point where a total conversion mod is something that is possible at which point I feel that this game could finally become the game it has the potential to become.

Congratulations on getting to the white house as part of a recognition of the educational value of Kerbal Space Program, maybe now the game could take a direction which is more oriented to actual scientific space exploration instead of the LEGO Style which it was conceived as. Informational readouts on the state of your craft would be helpful as default. Much of the orbital information in Kerbal engineer redux or mechJeb would be suitable I think as well as information on the current state of your craft.

Should have sent Felipe since he started it all. That's the man that deserves it.
The decision to not invite HarvesteR was the worst decision the POTUS's administration has made, there needs to be a congressional investigation into this.

Yeah. It is odd to send the money men instead of the creative mind behind the game.

HarvesteR has replied over on Reddit.

...hold...back...snark...

When you're rewriting it is a good time to implement a redesign. Just push the U5 update out another month or two. The UI is getting really long in the tooth and its simplistic charm isn't charming.

Anytime I hear them talk about remaking the UI exactly as it was, it hurts my heart.

I've given up making suggestions or reporting bugs as it really seems a pointless task...

Have you tried posting on the official forums? ... snark released!

Edited by klgraham1013

Yeah. It is odd to send the money men instead of the creative mind behind the game...

Not at all! Sending the creative brains would delay KSP v1.5. Sending the money-men would, at worst, reduce the number of management meetings, thus accelerating v1.5!

Not at all! Sending the creative brains would delay KSP v1.5. Sending the money-men would, at worst, reduce the number of management meetings, thus accelerating v1.5!

I'm willing to give Harvester some vacation. I'm also against the ubiquitous video game development crunch, though. So, maybe I'm just weird.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.