SimEarth II

Pluto100

Do you?  

2,257 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

SimEarth was a pretty nifty idea, but you still could only tinker with the course of earth history, not come up with something new. SimLife? Now THERE was an incredible idea. 1) Make some creatures. 2) Allow them to evolve. 3) Alter their environment to see how they respond. Unfortunately, the concept was decades ahead of its time, and more than a few score critters on your planet swamped even the most powerful processors of the era. Heck, that would be an ambitious thing to try to do now, let alone in 1992.

SimEarth was a pretty nifty idea, but you still could only tinker with the course of earth history, not come up with something new. SimLife? Now THERE was an incredible idea. 1) Make some creatures. 2) Allow them to evolve. 3) Alter their environment to see how they respond. Unfortunately, the concept was decades ahead of its time, and more than a few score critters on your planet swamped even the most powerful processors of the era. Heck, that would be an ambitious thing to try to do now, let alone in 1992.

They should have allowed you to modify history :/. I have never tried SimLife. Is it fun?

I honestly don\'t know if it\'s fun, because like I said, the computers of the time really couldn\'t exploit its potential. I was always just in awe of the idea.

I see... I totally think Maxis should create more stuff like that!

SimEarth? I thought it was pretty nice. I always ended up with a tropical paradise, then something horrendous happened to it (like nuclear missiles coming out of nowhere, hehe.). SimEarthII? Just as long as EA doesn\'t touch it.

SimEarth? I thought it was pretty nice. I always ended up with a tropical paradise, then something horrendous happened to it (like nuclear missiles coming out of nowhere, hehe.). SimEarthII? Just as long as EA doesn\'t touch it.

I hope that the realize that there should be a sequal. Like you said, as long as EA doesn\'t touch it. I think it would be good. How do you keep the planet stable? I always fail at it. (Ex. Nuclear Power, Too much fossil fuels, Asteroid, Ect.)

Okay. You guys want a sequel.

You don\'t want it made by EA.

SimEarth rights probably lie with Maxis which is owned by EA, which owns the rights to SimEarth.

SimEarth is a niche game. Other companies won\'t see much benefit to buying the rights to SimEarth if it potentially won\'t sell much.

Choose between two evils, guys. Stick with the first game, or let Maxis (EA) have a go with it again. Assuming they\'re up for a sequel.

Or hope you can get some people together to work on an OpenSimEarth version. If that\'s possible.

Bugger. I\'m the only one who voted no >.<

I just want them to stick to getting their core franchises right.

I\'ve got high hopes for the next SimCity, but I\'m still looking for what is essentially a graphical, cultural and simulation upgrade to SimCity2000 :D

Sim City 4 was okaaaaay, and I liked the music, but it\'s running awfully on Windows 7 anyways.

and Sims 3 was dreadfully boring, and too realistic.

Wake up. Eat. Get carpool. Sit and wait...

It\'s the exact representation of my REAL life. Unless that\'s the cruelly funny irony.

I think Maxis should create SimEarth II. I have some great ideas if they were to create that :D! Who else thinks that there should be a SimEarth II?

I\'d love a SimEarth2 but I would hate for Maxis to make it, they would only ruin it.

Do they make them bad? If so, that sucks

They have ruined quite a few franchises (EA). Look at what happened to SimCity and Spore. Back in the day, EA made published lots of good games (Wasteland and Dungeon Keeper to name but two) now they only make/publish drivvel.

Sim City 4 was okaaaaay, and I liked the music, but it\'s running awfully on Windows 7 anyways.

I have it running perfectly well on Windows7, there\'s a lot of cool mods for SimCity 4 too which are a lot of fun, but you will generaly need the expansion pack.

I think simcity 4 + Rush-hour expansion is my favorite SimCity, if only because of the slightly complex transportation system which is fun for a while.

Anyway its a long while since I set it up so I\'m unsure of all the fiddling involved to get it running well, but it looks like I had added these to my .exe file :

-w -intro:off -r1024x768x16 -CustomResolution:enabled -CPUCount:1

So you might start there with CPUCount:1

..All this talk of SimEarth.. makes me want to fire up DosBox :)

Has anyone here tried 'Imagine Earth'? It\'s a new indie game similar to SimEarth, I have thought about getting it recently.

It looks nice, but it is nowhere near the scope of SimEarth where you started with a planet with no life and guided evolution of life from single celled organisms to space faring civilizations.

• 1 year later...

´Sim Earth´ was a nice program for its time. I still have its manual sitting on my bookshelf. And here we have already arrived at one of the reasons, why a remake just wouldnt fly, today - or when was the last time you held a games´ manual in your hand that was actually worth the paper it was written on? Or when was the last time you played (or saw) a game requiring a manual in the first place?

One can only understand why there never was a Sim Earth II, despite all the public climate discussions (and even creationism in the US) spuring in the meantime, if one sees that during the same time video-games have evolved into a true mass-medium, which, as all mass-media, do not tend to inform, but to entertain and where quantity clearly trumps quality.

That beind said, Sim Earth´s model was far from perfect - all the more a sequel would be desirable, imho.

• 1 year later...

Ladies and gentlemen, complaining about necros is itself a violation of forum rules now (2.5), since such comments do not add anything to discussions while contributing to forum clutter. Please keep your comments on-topic, and hit the report button rather than reply just to point out necros.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.