[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Hello All!

The first time I use mechjob and want to perform vertical takeoff at ~ 11000m, but at an altitude of 5000m ~ rocket leans over and starts orbital maneuver. Exhibited in the Ascent Path Editor Turn start Attitude and Turn End Attitude to 11km and Turn Shape to 0%, but it does not work. Help, what am I doing wrong. :(

Sorry for the bad english.

You are trying to orbit at 11000m, thats ok when starting from a moon or something, but a very bad idea if you are at kerbin. Try 80000 instead.

Ugh I hate to be "that guy" since I know I've seen this topic mentioned (& now buried) in this thread. Anyways, I was playing KSP and the power went out, now I can't access the info windows in MJ (flight, delta V, etc). They just aren't there in the tab, either in flight screen or VAB. What's the fix?

I have and odd bug. Whenever I use mechjeb to orbit or do a maneuver it turns the craft around and goes backwards. So now I cant use the mod to get anything docked with my space station due ti the station going one way around the planet and mechjeb sending everything else around the other way.

Also whenever I use rendezvous mechjeb just points my craft at the planet and burns till I crash.

Any fix?

With the ascent planner, there is the option for force roll. What does it specify for it's roll? Is there anywhere I can change this on the fly (180 deg roll initially, 0 roll when in the final stages of ascent).

I have and odd bug. Whenever I use mechjeb to orbit or do a maneuver it turns the craft around and goes backwards. So now I cant use the mod to get anything docked with my space station due ti the station going one way around the planet and mechjeb sending everything else around the other way.

Also whenever I use rendezvous mechjeb just points my craft at the planet and burns till I crash.

Any fix?

Make sure you have the AR202 on the right way round. The antennae should face the front of your craft. Alternatively, right click your command pod and click "control from here"

Please fix the Auto-Docking bug. Specifically, it just burns through monoprop continuously adjusting itself, instead of just setting it's course and adjusting if/when necessary. In KSP v0.24.x, auto-docking worked perfectly. Prior to that and since v0.25, it's wasteful without docking.

Question: when I manually position the vessel within a few meters of the target port, why does Autodocking back-up to a "starting point"? It should just proceed from there instead of wasting time and monoprop getting to the "starting point".

I depend on auto-docking, because I suck at docking. Auto-docking makes KSP fun for me, because it overcomes my most frustrating requirement of KSP. At this point, some fool will say, "Just learn to dock. It's easy. I docked my first time." I said it for you. Now, go away so adults can talk here.

thank you for MJ2

^^ I agree...I've been having this issue also. While I can dock manually most of the time, I prefer to use auto-dock to save time, and skip over the sometimes tediousness of docking, so I can get on with the rest of the mission...

I seem to have a similar issue with the rendezvous autopilot...When within 1km, it will still constantly flip-flop back and forth 180° like a fish out of water, constantly using resources...I have even had it miss a critical braking burn when within a couple hundred meters, because it was busy doing an unecessary prograde burn, and it didnt have time to reorient and align properly for the retrograde burn, thus slamming into the target at much more than the 1m/s it should be going, destroying both target and ship.... :(

EDIT: Doh!...Just checked for the latest dev build, and saw this in the latest changes:

"Update MechJebModuleDockingAutopilot.cs"

"Update MechJebModuleDockingGuidance.cs"

So I apologize if these are already addressing the above issues with the docking autopilot... :)

Still wondering if anyone else has seen similar behaviour from the rendezvous autopilot though, or if its just me...

Edited by Stone Blue

I depend on auto-docking, because I suck at docking. Auto-docking makes KSP fun for me, because it overcomes my most frustrating requirement of KSP. At this point, some fool will say, "Just learn to dock. It's easy. I docked my first time." I said it for you. Now, go away so adults can talk here.

thank you for MJ2

Send them to the kids table.

^^ I agree...I've been having this issue also. While I can dock manually most of the time, I prefer to use auto-dock to save time, and skip over the sometimes tediousness of docking, so I can get on with the rest of the mission...

I seem to have a similar issue with the rendezvous autopilot...When within 1km, it will still constantly flip-flop back and forth 180° like a fish out of water, constantly using resources...I have even had it miss a critical braking burn when within a couple hundred meters, because it was busy doing an unecessary prograde burn, and it didnt have time to reorient and align properly for the retrograde burn, thus slamming into the target at much more than the 1m/s it should be going, destroying both target and ship.... :(

EDIT: Doh!...Just checked for the latest dev build, and saw this in the latest changes:

So I apologize if these are already addressing the above issues with the docking autopilot... :)

Still wondering if anyone else has seen similar behaviour from the rendezvous autopilot though, or if its just me...

Yeah, the thing with the Rendezvous component is that it seems to execute burns BEFORE it is time to execute them. (i.e. IMMEDIATELY instead of 2 minutes from now, or whenever the burn is scheduled). The workaround for that is to cancel the Rendezvous autopilot when it sets up the burn to match velocity and instead use Maneuver Planner to execute that burn. (or even use MP to set up and execute)

Docking, havent had too many problems with it. Having a balanced RCS system helps A LOT. The MJ RCS balancer can help out if it's enabled but that's no excuse for not taking the time to balance your RCS. If you have multiple components that you plan on docking to form a complete vessel, good placement is on the average Center of Mass. (if you don't have the RCS balancing plugin, GET it. USE it. SHows you in the VAB how well your RCS will work for Center of Mass, Dry Center of Mass and Average Center of Mass. (average between full and dry)

Edited by Starwaster

Having a balanced RCS system helps A LOT. The MJ RCS balancer can help out if it's enabled but that's no excuse for not taking the time to balance your RCS. If you have multiple components that you plan on docking to form a complete vessel, good placement is on the average Center of Mass. (if you don't have the RCS balancing plugin, GET it. USE it. SHows you in the VAB how well your RCS will work for Center of Mass, Dry Center of Mass and Average Center of Mass. (average between full and dry)
I always use the Center-of-Mass stock indicator in the VAB to place RCS ports correctly. HOWEVER, based on your recommendation, I'll use the MJ RCS Balancer.

EDIT: RCS Balancer is NOT available to me in VAB. It is listed in both blizzy's Toolbar and the MJ menu (from the MJ button, not the right-side menu).

Excellent news. Thanks for mentioning this.
This game is soo much easier with mechjeb, it looks after me very well - so long as i keep a close eye on it. On the edge of my seat every time it docks for me
I use the Rendezvous Planner and Maneuver Node Editor extensively (to fine-tune transfers to moons and planets). If you're not using it yet, use SMART A.S.S. to handle the detailed work so you can concentrate on the bigger picture.

Edge of the seat? Hah!! I thought i was the only only one. Me, too, my friend, me too.

Edited by Apollo13

Here's a prime example of auto-docking problems. I was 6 meters from the target port and pointing dead-center on it. I set that port as the target. I set the port on my vessel to "Control from here". I then clicked the Autopilot button. MJ-Autodock immediately kicked-on the RCS thrusters to push the vessel to the left and forward (note the "Docking Distance"). It never did correct and just kept going. The RCS thrusters are balanced.

wC4Prvw.jpg

I hope the changes that have been made for the next release fix these problems.

Here's a prime example of auto-docking problems. I was 6 meters from the target port and pointing dead-center on it. I set that port as the target. I set the port on my vessel to "Control from here". I then clicked the Autopilot button. MJ-Autodock immediately kicked-on the RCS thrusters to push the vessel to the left and forward (note the "Docking Distance"). It never did correct and just kept going. The RCS thrusters are balanced.

http://i.imgur.com/wC4Prvw.jpg

I hope the changes that have been made for the next release fix these problems.

i think that the first time docking is initiated that something is not initializing correctly. I routinely immediately cancel and reinitiate. Try that. Just assume that it's not going to work. Second time always works for me but if you wait too long to cancel the first attempt, that makes it harder for the second attempt. It has to correct the first's errors.

MJ's auto-docking has always been somewhat unreliable, I'm not going to fault anyone on this. It's just the way things are.

Personally, I only use MJ's auto-docking when I'm flying low-risk docking manuevers or I require absolute precision that I cannot provide through manual docking. Otherwise, it's generally much safer to fly the docking manually and use SmartASS set to PAR- on target port to maintain attitude and optionally roll angle.

In this situation, i undocked and backed-up almost 3 meters. I then hit the Autodocking button. The vessel never moved. It just sat there blowing monoprop. Per Starwaster's suggestion, I then canceled, and then hit the Autodocking button again. Vessel still did not move.

Z5vVSOU.jpg

NOTE: I was using the newest MJ dev build, #352

savegame > blurry picture

Look for vessel called Skylab Repair in the Tracking Station. Or, push the F9 key.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuc1n34nbtxaka6/Career.zip?dl=0

Edited by Apollo13

@Apollo13:

I've noticed the same behavior on one of my orbiters that only had one set of RCS thrusters around its CM. MJ flew all of my other orbiters and spaceplanes with two or more sets of RCS perfectly when ordered to auto-dock, presuming the RCS was at least reasonably balanced.

So in response to that example given in the screenshot, change the design so you have two sets of RCS (one fore and one aft) reasonably balanced around the CM and try again.

I wasn't talking about whether you personally needed more than one set of RCS thrusters, I was asking whether this problem still persists on a ship of similar design with two sets of RCS thrusters placed in reasonable balance around the CM.

Similar to how MJ completely freaks out during auto-dock if the RCS thrusters are horribly unbalanced with regards to the CM, a singular set of RCS thrusters also seems to freak MJ out. I don't know why since I am not in the slightest familiar with MJ's code, but there's a very simple and easy workaround that you can try and use if it works.

And as I said before, if all else fails MJ will still be able to help you dock ships and station modules more easily than if you did it alone. Setting SmartASS to orient PAR- in relation to your target port will make MJ maintain the proper heading for a docking and can optionally also handle roll angle should you so desire.

Edited by King Arthur

In this situation, i undocked and backed-up almost 3 meters. I then hit the Autodocking button. The vessel never moved. It just sat there blowing monoprop. Per Starwaster's suggestion, I then canceled, and then hit the Autodocking button again. Vessel still did not move.

http://i.imgur.com/Z5vVSOU.jpg

NOTE: I was using the newest MJ dev build.

F5 then F9

Look for vessel called Skylab Repairm in the Tracking Station. Or, push the F9 key.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuc1n34nbtxaka6/Career.zip?dl=0

Maybe.... I have a feeling that won't work as far as demonstration. I think that pristine environments created by an freshly loaded in scenes won't fail. You have to get to that situation through normal gameplay. Multiple launches. Vessel switching. Kerbals EVAing. Then something gets out of whack somewhere.

Edited by Starwaster

http://i.imgur.com/wC4Prvw.jpg

Thats EXACTLY what I've been experiencing.

@Apollo13:

So in response to that example given in the screenshot, change the design so you have two sets of RCS (one fore and one aft) reasonably balanced around the CM and try again.

In my case, thats a negative....I ALWAYS use at LEAST two sets of balanced RCS, fore and aft, usually in multiples of 4...I have also tried multiples of 2, 3 and 6...Also single set of RCS placed, fore, middle, aft...And various other combos....Also tried many different RCS thrusters, stock and mods, to see if the power made any difference...I still see, and have seen this behaviour from the auto docking. And, yes, I know MechJeb has had auto-dock issues for a LONG time... Also not blaming anyone, and am dealing with it... Just hoping it can get fixed someday, and if any of my little input may help, So be it...Its all good. :)