[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Myself I would want a child craft that either undocked or staged to inherit the state of MJ from its parent. Whatever was on, off, active, inactive should remain that way when undocked for both craft.

No surprises at all that way. (I`m sure this was the way MJ used to work)

Also gives some fun functionality for example with escape pods from a doomed cruise liner all popping off together with autoland already activated.

Actually, *big* surprises... big *damaging* surprises that way.

The problem is the docked craft isn't usually in the same orientation as the parent...

Imagine a large vessel with "control from here" set to the front end and Smart A.S.S. set to orbital prograde. You have a small craft docked somewhere down the length and it's axis is perpendicular to the mothership. When you undock it's pointing at the mothership's docking port, ninety degrees off from orbital prograde. Its RCS comes on full bore and snaps the thing to orbital prograde. If anything sticks out sideways it'll swing into the mothership.

I've had this happen more times than I can count.

Actually, *big* surprises... big *damaging* surprises that way.

The problem is the docked craft isn't usually in the same orientation as the parent...

Imagine a large vessel with "control from here" set to the front end and Smart A.S.S. set to orbital prograde. You have a small craft docked somewhere down the length and it's axis is perpendicular to the mothership. When you undock it's pointing at the mothership's docking port, ninety degrees off from orbital prograde. Its RCS comes on full bore and snaps the thing to orbital prograde. If anything sticks out sideways it'll swing into the mothership.

I've had this happen more times than I can count.

Unless you see an update build, still broken. They might have been sneaky and were working on it during the beta, in that case you can go digging for it on github untill they release it...or...nobody has touched it yet. Until then, I can't alt-tab out during my launches any more :(

#195 Fixed something else related to RPM.

#196 is modified to compile with 0.23.5 but r4m0n will have to update Jenkins for it to compile.

So meanwhile get it here : www.sarbian.com/sarbian/MechJeb2.dll

Thanks Sarbian! I'm curious, what changed in KSP to break MJ? (I have a ton of mods, and I'd like to be able to guess which ones are likely also broken by the update and which ones are probably fine)

Dev197 and ARM 23.5...

Is it just my imagination (running away with me), or does the new release feel a bit... less jerky? Less "sticky"?

Just landed a Pathfinder on Mun as a test; only my forgetting to turn SA off before engaging the LGAP kept it from being a "picture perfect, textbook" landing. SA tried to flip the lander with torque because I still had it set to "PRO GRADE" instead of "OFF". I had to quickly hit "RAD+" to get it upright before the solar panels were ripped off...

Dev197 looks good so far, Sarbian. One test, of course, isn't enough to confirm anything, but this first landing went smoothly enough to try a Moho mission.

One heads up to everyone: 23.5 breaks several mods. Many appear to have been addressed by their authors, but if you're like me and you've been using the older ones 'cause they ain't broke yet, be ready to update at least a few. Besides MechJeb, I had to replace KAS and Procedural Fairings, which are two of my most-used mods.

ADDENDUM: Ooops!

Dev197 and ARM 23.5...

Is it just my imagination (running away with me), or does the new release feel a bit... less jerky? Less "sticky"?

Absolutely. I often play on my laptop (Intel i5 with the Intel 4000 onboard graphics) and it's usually pretty jerky. Way more smooth.

Also, the new rockets are insanely OP (I've never used mods with bigger rockets, so maybe I just have never seen real power).

Good update!

One heads up to everyone: 23.5 breaks several mods.

Yeah, I just posted a log on the chatterer thread. It's mostly OK but the EVA sounds (airlock and breathing) are missing. On the plus side module manager, Blizzy's toolbar and the MJ integration lib seem to be ok.

Absolutely. I often play on my laptop (Intel i5 with the Intel 4000 onboard graphics) and it's usually pretty jerky. Way more smooth.

Also, the new rockets are insanely OP (I've never used mods with bigger rockets, so maybe I just have never seen real power).

Good update!

They're not overpowered. They're for heavy payloads. As always, use a rocket suited to the job you need performed.

It would be nice to get an additional module dedicated to asteroid interception in future updates.

I second this. I request two features related to this.

#1 Fix to the launch guidance to allow launching into plane for asteroids that have not yet entered SOI. (So we can build up craft or an armada in Orbit with plenty of time to spare)

#2 A mode in the planner to intercept asteroids within SOI. (Right now you have to use KSP's maneuver nodes and advancing orbits which is kinda meh right now. I would rather use MechJeb and focus on building up many craft for the E class.)