[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Is it a problem you are actually having with the computed maneuvers ?

The porkchop calculator should pick the correct point of the orbit, and then anyway the optimizer will tweak the maneuver. It usually does a good job and computes something that enters the planet.

Well, now I'm a bit confused.

Actually I did some simple experiments in sandbox mode involving one of latest MJ dev builds and HyperEdit (no other plugins). Nothing extraordinary, just putting vessels directly to Kerbin's orbit and porkchopping right from there. The issue arouse, so I wrote my post. Now I've tried to reproduce my previous results to make sure I'm not hallucinating and, hmm, I just don't know what to think. The game does weird things like making planets orbiting a random point quite far from Sun, teleporting vessels on SoI change from Moho directly to Jool and such. Something is wrong with... something.

I'll try to test things one more time with MJ only, so it can be kind of time consuming. I'll be back ASAP.

Well, now I'm a bit confused.

Actually I did some simple experiments in sandbox mode involving one of latest MJ dev builds and HyperEdit (no other plugins). Nothing extraordinary, just putting vessels directly to Kerbin's orbit and porkchopping right from there. The issue arouse, so I wrote my post. Now I've tried to reproduce my previous results to make sure I'm not hallucinating and, hmm, I just don't know what to think. The game does weird things like making planets orbiting a random point quite far from Sun, teleporting vessels on SoI change from Moho directly to Jool and such. Something is wrong with... something.

I'll try to test things one more time with MJ only, so it can be kind of time consuming. I'll be back ASAP.

That`s really not right. Try making a fresh install of KSP with Mechjeb added and see if you can reproduce the problems.

EDIT : I missed where you said `hyperedit`. It explains everything.

Edited by John FX

It's me again with "big corrections" issue.

Can't 100% reproduce. Tried about ten transfers Kerbin-Moho in one game session. Usually it works like a charm, corrections are about 10-15 m/s. Last transfer missed 650 m/s. Different ships, same starting orbit (620 km). KSP 0.25.0.642, MJ 336, no other plugins, clean install, clean sandbox. It's dark ancient magic, apparently. I just don't know what else to blame.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

I built a dev version with 0.25 this time. It should not change much, but it's a bit more proper :

Edited : use the usual dev build link now.

Edited by sarbian

Having a problem where mechjeb dosent seem to be calculating the TWR of jet engines correctly. I constructed a rocket weighing aprox 192000kg and stacked on 12 jet boosters (made up of a jet fuel tank, 2 turbo jets, and 10 ramscoop intakes), the jets were staged first the idea being to get my altitude up to about 30k before engaging the rocket motors.

in the VAB Mechjeb tells me i have a TWR of 1.26 on the ground, should be heaps once the jets spool up. however when i go to the launch pad the stage window of mechjeb still says 1.26TWR surface but the vessel info window shows .63 TWR exactly half.

noteing this i increased the number of jet boosters to give me 2.5 TWR in the VAB which came up as 1.25 TWR in the Vessel info on the launch pad. this however was still not enough to get off the ground even when the jets had spooled up completely.

has anybody else had this issue?

Having a problem where mechjeb dosent seem to be calculating the TWR of jet engines correctly. I constructed a rocket weighing aprox 192000kg and stacked on 12 jet boosters (made up of a jet fuel tank, 2 turbo jets, and 10 ramscoop intakes), the jets were staged first the idea being to get my altitude up to about 30k before engaging the rocket motors.

in the VAB Mechjeb tells me i have a TWR of 1.26 on the ground, should be heaps once the jets spool up. however when i go to the launch pad the stage window of mechjeb still says 1.26TWR surface but the vessel info window shows .63 TWR exactly half.

noteing this i increased the number of jet boosters to give me 2.5 TWR in the VAB which came up as 1.25 TWR in the Vessel info on the launch pad. this however was still not enough to get off the ground even when the jets had spooled up completely.

has anybody else had this issue?

That's because the thrust from jet engines depends on the velocity, MechJeb doesn't take that in account. There are some plots here to explain how they work.

Having problems getting MM to work with 338. In ksp.log the .dll shows version 0.0.0.0 and the mm.cfg will not work / bind. When i drop back to 337 it is working...

dont know if that is a problem only with something i am doing, or in the build?????

Thanks for all of the great stuff.... Always first mod added.....

is this ready to go now for .25? also can anyone send me either by link here or by PM the text file with a all mechjeb options ready at either start or basic tech, i tried it my self but it wont work for some reason, mechjeb unit just disapears altogether when changing it.

OK, so I'm probably being a ..... but...

If you want support of any kind include your log.

THIS!

I keep thinking I might be able to be helpfull, despite not being in the know, but without logs you might as well reference folklore and magick. 'stuff doesn't work' is pointless and just clutters the thread like i'm doing right now.

The latest dev build works great in 0.25 (for me at any rate, aren't I lucky) post logs if you have issues, that way bugs can be found and squished.

it was critical for me in the early days of learning

MechJeb taught me how to fly. Thank you.

Edited by steve_v

I'm getting a problem with the 337 build on 0.25.

reloading a vehicle with mechjeb unit on it results in loss of control (vessel seems to be fixed in attitude), randomly vanishing parts (in some cases everything except the pod).

I'm running KJR, NEAR, and realchutes. just going through now to see if i can narrow down the issue :)

Not saying it is - but it looks like an interaction with realchutes.

EDIT:

Belay that - seems to be a RealChute problem... *toodles over to the RealChute thread* Carry on gents.

Edited by shand

Hello, i have a problem with mechjeb.

I am on KSP v 24.2 and latest mechjeb.

The autopilot seems to be broken, it never activates the engines when executing nodes.

Ill make an example:

I want to go into orbit around Kerbin at aprox 85 km so I launch my craft manually and when my apoapsis reaches 85 km i cut my engines and use the mechjeb circularize at next apoapsis command and click on execute.

It points the ship into the right direction and autowarps. Before reaching the node it disables warp and corrects the ship heading and waits the moment to fire the engines.

When that moment comes it does nothing. Eventually the ship re-enters the atmosphere and crashes.

I have plenty of fuel to complete the maneuver and my engine is working.

I have done the same thing manually and i could do it. Why isn't mechjeb activating the engines?

I have tried using the change periapsis/apoapsis commands too, same issue, the autopilot never fires the engines.

Help

For whatever reason, i'm not getting any Mechjeb interface with the 338 build.

Edit:

And for whatever reason, it looks like to be fine with the 337 build.

I`m still running 0.24.2 until everything settles down (got a 0.25 install with my mods that I boot up every now and then to see if the mods play well yet) but when I tried build 338 in 0.25 I also had no interface

EDIT : I actually just came here to post how much fun I was having with my career refuel station. The fun I am having is being able to undock four craft, set two pods auto docking to the two thrust units then redocking the two made up craft (to top up mono) before they go off on missions.

The most fun is watching them form while controlling the main station. Sometimes I get into a little EVA unit and fly inbetween them to get the "ooh arent they big and they are controlling themselves!" feeling

So thank you Sarbian, KSP would not be the same without Mechjeb.

I`d rep you but I overrepped in the hype thread so I can`t for 24 hours...

Edited by John FX

I`m still running 0.24.2 until everything settles down

I figured I'd do the same, switched to my Mk. 24.2 Really Expensive Space Station and it shook itself into pieces. In my no-saving ironman mode with 8x part costs. Now crying over mint ice cream and messing around with modless .25.

I never had the "no interface problem", i tested both 32 and 64 bit.

Could this be related to carrer/science modes? Cos i only played in sandbox, and most things i tested seem to work normal.

EDIT: Well scratch that, as i only downloaded the 337 form Jenkins, so i didnt test the 338dev, which was just a temp fix until Jenkins was up, right?

Edited by Thourion

A little update on my issue, apparently i have this issue only in career mode. I tried the same maneuvers with the same crafts in sandbox and it all went well ...

Something about career mode thats making mechjeb not work. At least thats from what I've seen.

EDIT: and same thing in science mode. But it works in sandbox tho ... Thats just wierd.

Any ideas?

Edited by code99

I'm not getting a MechJeb interface at all, neither with 337 nor with 338. I see the AR202 case both in career and sandbox mode and I can use it, but to no avail.

I have some funny errors in KSP.log, though:

[ERR 20:00:49.202] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'MechJebCore'

[ERR 20:00:49.202] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'MechJebAR202'

[WRN 20:02:36.077] [Part]: PartModule FARBasicDragModel at mumech.MJ2.AR202, index 2: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

They might be harmless, however.

edit: added the FAR warning message.