[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

By the way... I've probably posted this before, but I'm back to KSP after a few months hiatus, and I want to say it again even if I have before. Thank you for making MechJeb. Due to disability I have severe difficulties manually piloting, and this mod has made it possible for me to play this game at all.

@Resender, not sure how cycling through every choice was any faster than 2 clicks to get directly to the right option..? I think the dropdown is a good choice here.

Totally agree. The new dropdown is much faster for me, especially now that I am getting a hang of where everything is at in the drop down list.

Totally agree. The new dropdown is much faster for me, especially now that I am getting a hang of where everything is at in the drop down list.

I really do wish the drop down were organized more logically though... all the related functions are shaken and stirred and all mixed together.

Well when I wrote the post I had just come back home from a 9 day trip to San Francisco,I come from Belgium,hadn't slept in 18 hours or so,lousy passage through LHR almost missing my flight due to inefficient security setup for flight connections & a 1.5 hour landing delay due to bad weather holding pattern and an aborted landing cause the pilot in front of us ignored instructions from the flight control off LHR.

For me the dropdowns add additional time I can not waste as I quickly want to switch between doing a manouvre a certain time from now or when a condition is met,like match velocity with target,which I usually use in 2 stages.

1)At closest approach,to match & approach the target within a 100 meters

2)At 0 seconds,to match & approach under 30 meters

yes it's great with the dropdowns... but i miss the part that the settings where saved... i often use the "do something in a span of seconds". now i have to set the span everytime new. in the last releases the informations i used where saved in the mod... i could use it everytime when i don't change the 15s span.

So, what is the meaning of "dynamic pressure fadeout"?

Please? ...or does nobody know?

(of course, I can guess the meaning, I rather want to know the *exact meaning* of the value, like 1000 what? Cm, km, pressure, height when this limit is not applied anymore?)

Edited by rainerd66

Question on the landing autopilot.

Why does it always seem that when MJ does the retro burn to hit a target, it burns waaaaaaaaay too much, then burns prograde to match up the landing spot? I only use stock parts. To counter this, I will have the utility window open, and limit the throttle to less than 10% when the blue cross gets closer to the red cross.

- - - Updated - - -

I really do wish the drop down were organized more logically though... all the related functions are shaken and stirred and all mixed together.

They look to be in alphabetical order to me.

So this is cool.... I've been using Mechjeb for months now, and I had no idea it supported FAR. I actually was holding back from FAR solely for this reason. Awesome to know!

One more suggestion that I think would be great... I'd also like to use deadly reentry. Currently, I believe that if I use Mechjeb to target landing at a location, my reentry angle will be way too steep, and I'll burn up. To enable better support with Deadly Reentry, would it be possible to get some control over the reentry angle for landing at a target? I'm not sure how difficult that would be.

Also... since Mechjeb can apparently accurately land at targets even with FAR, it must have decent predictive capabilities for the drag model. Could this be applied to creating a nice aerobraking tool?

Those are both just random ideas that I'm throwing out there in case you haven't thought of them before. You'd likely have a much better idea of how difficult they might be to bring into reality.

It's one of the things I'll work on. But I m busy on other stuff atm (as some may have noticed) and I ll be on vacation soonish. So don't really hold your breath on MJ changes at short term.

Simmy, take a look at Atmospheric Trajectories. It's an aerobrake/landing predictor specifically tailored to work with FAR, tho it doesn't interface directly with MJ. I'm in your boat, I was hesitant to jump into FAR due to MJ issues, but between this new plugin plus the wonderful stuff sarbian has already done to tweak MJ that direction it's an easy transition. I fly with a mix of MJ and "handmade" nodes, MJ always handles the launch and then I'll set up reentry burns by hand & let MJ fly them. With some RCS course tweaks and MJ LGAP handling the final descent it's pretty straightforward to do a precise landing back at KSC without burning up.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/93685-0-24-2-(Atmospheric)-Trajectories

Edited by CatastrophicFailure
Linky

Sarbian, I have a few requests.

Would it be possible to get entries in Custom Window Editor for these?

1. Target ASL, under Target, like the line displayed in Landing Guidance.

2. Target coordinate boxes, under Target, which show the Target coordinate in a series of boxes, allowing editing, like displayed in Landing Guidance.

3. Clear position target, a button under Target, which removes the position target.

EDIT: Better, add it to "Pick position target" as a small button on the right end of that.

And in Landing Guidance, could an entry for general Autostage be added, similar to the one in Ascent Guidance?

Edited by Jacke

I notice this when I went put in the new dev version #341. There is a white blank area in the toolbar area.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/therealcrow999/screenshot3_zpsdf07e37a.png

Here is also my log files and mod list:

http://www./download/bf7mexzbu3lsaj4/Raven_New_Logs_10-11-14.zip

This went away once I updated my Texture Replacer to latest version 1.7.3, the one in picture is version 1.7.2. So It seems to be gone.

is it possible to force mechjeb to be unlocked in career mode i dont like having to earn it, im pretty terrible without it and id prefer to play with it available right off the bat. also for some reason i no longer see an option to use blizzy toolbar in mechjeb it still does but for what ever reason the MJ button is still using the app launcher instead of just blizzy

Edited by endl

So I can use some help on this one. What I am trying to do is get a space plane that can land on other planets at a specific point IE where my base is. So the only thing I see that can do that in MechJeb is the Landing Guidance. To use this I made a vertical takeoff space plane, however when I use the landing guidance it points the back of the plane down. So thinking it was where the plane is being controlled from I put a docking port on the top of the plane but it still points the same way. Anyone have any ideas?

So I can use some help on this one. What I am trying to do is get a space plane that can land on other planets at a specific point IE where my base is. So the only thing I see that can do that in MechJeb is the Landing Guidance. To use this I made a vertical takeoff space plane, however when I use the landing guidance it points the back of the plane down. So thinking it was where the plane is being controlled from I put a docking port on the top of the plane but it still points the same way. Anyone have any ideas?

Landing Guidance will not land your plane like a plane. It assumes you are landing engines down.

The reason your ship still points the same way is because you didn't 'control from here' (right clicking on the docking port). But again, it doesn't matter because LG would assume you have engines on the bottom of your plane, opposite from the docking port.

Spaceplane Guidance will land your plane like a plane, but it only has two targets to choose from. The KSC Runway and the Island Runway. There is a way in the most recent dev versions to add new runways but I don't know how to do that. Read back over the past few pages, there was some discussion about it.

Also, @Sarbian and @MeuMeu:

You guys, I swear, every time I open up Maneuver Planner, I get a porkchopgasm.

But again, it doesn't matter because LG would assume you have engines on the bottom of your plane, opposite from the docking port.

Does it really? I would have thought it would use the thrust vectors of the currently active engines so I wouldn't expect changing the "control from here" part to ever make any difference. Of course, MJ might get a bit confused about how to control the vessel if the "control from here" vector is not roughly opposite to the thrust vector...

MJ assume that where your current active part point is the front of the ship. Then all engine math are done assuming that you want the ship to go in that forward direction. So if your engine are perpendicular with that direction MJ assume they provide 0 thrust.

With a VTOL if you have a part you can set control on (like a docking port) that points up and if the only active engine are pointing down then MJ should be able to land it.

Having MJ use an arbitrary direction as "front" is doable but it require to find and replace all the instance where we use the default front/right/up vector. Doable but not a light task.

endl : read that post. Replace "flightControl" with "start" if you want it right from the start.

Does it really? I would have thought it would use the thrust vectors of the currently active engines so I wouldn't expect changing the "control from here" part to ever make any difference. Of course, MJ might get a bit confused about how to control the vessel if the "control from here" vector is not roughly opposite to the thrust vector...

What you are describing is technically possible to program but MJ is currently reliant on stock behavior to determine its control vector. It's natural and easy to code for. To make it behave otherwise requires extra coding. Maybe it'll happen someday....

Hey, sarbian!

A long, long, long time ago I asked you about the possibilities to look into offloading part of the MJ calculations to other threads, which are not in use by KSP.

I have noticed that in the recent MJ versions the game doesn't stutter anymore with the usual calculation-heavy windows that I keep open (Orbit info, Vessel Info and sometimes my custom Rendez-vous window).

I wanted to ask if you implemented something along those lines or is it just me upgrading from my old trusty Phenom II x4 955 to an 4970K i7?

Hey, sarbian!

A long, long, long time ago I asked you about the possibilities to look into offloading part of the MJ calculations to other threads, which are not in use by KSP.

I have noticed that in the recent MJ versions the game doesn't stutter anymore with the usual calculation-heavy windows that I keep open (Orbit info, Vessel Info and sometimes my custom Rendez-vous window).

I wanted to ask if you implemented something along those lines or is it just me upgrading from my old trusty Phenom II x4 955 to an 4970K i7?

It is not easy to offload to worker threads, most game objects will be modified by the simulation making it unsafe to use them. There are some workarounds (creating new copies and passing them to the thread) but is is not always straightforward. This is done in the porkchop plot as it is very computation expensive and I have improved a little bit the offloading of landing guidance window.

If you have an improvement, it is mainly because Broadwell Intel CPUs are much faster than AMD ones (1.5x faster usually).

I have tried profiling the game, but I can't get it to work. It produces a file but the mprof-decoder crashes when opening it...