[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Padishar of KER has made some advances with regard to offloading and when I posted here the last time, sarbian said he could look into it and see if it's in any way applicable to MJ.

About the Intel vs AMD - yeah, I know, it was about time for an upgrade, and there is no way to even try to compare a 2010 AMD with a Q2 2014 i7. That's why I took it.

On a more on-topic note:

Creating a custom window and naming it still leaves multiple entries in the editor window.

For example I usually created a custom window named RDV (for rendez-vous). If I go in the window editor after this there's settings for a window named R, a window named RD and, finally, a window named RDV.

Is there a way to only create custom window entries after you unfocus the window name input box, instead of dynamically doing it after each letter?

Edited by smunisto

is it possible to force mechjeb to be unlocked in career mode i dont like having to earn it, im pretty terrible without it and id prefer to play with it available right off the bat. [...]

you can use my module manager config:

//> ADD MJ TO COMMAND PODS AND PROBE CORES
//> REMOVE MJ SUBMODULES R&D TECHTREE RESTRICTION

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

just save it as cfg-file in your gamedata directory and make sure you have module manager installed. As side effect all command pods and probe cores (all parts with "ModuleCommand") will get MJ by default.

Edited by acc

Toolbar icon doubles up

Description:

After using "Undock node" on a docking port and switching to the undocked vessel (using keys) the toolbar icon doubles up.

Screen:

0rhRQCm.png

Specs:

MJ Dev #431

KSP 0.25 x86

Win 7 x64

Mods:

09.10.2014 19:11 <DIR> 000_Toolbar

10.10.2014 19:09 <DIR> accons

16.10.2014 02:09 <DIR> AviationLights

15.10.2014 14:41 <DIR> BahaSP

10.10.2014 23:58 <DIR> BDArmory

16.10.2014 03:44 <DIR> BoulderCo

15.10.2014 15:04 <DIR> BoxSat alpha

08.10.2014 21:49 <DIR> Chatterer

25.07.2014 21:38 <DIR> CustomBiomes

10.10.2014 19:02 <DIR> DeadlyReentry

29.07.2014 16:00 <DIR> DistantObject

10.10.2014 19:03 <DIR> DMagic Orbital Science

07.10.2014 21:21 <DIR> EditorExtensions

02.04.2014 02:10 <DIR> EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

21.07.2014 00:00 <DIR> FASA

10.10.2014 20:30 <DIR> FerramAerospaceResearch

08.10.2014 20:07 <DIR> KAS

10.08.2014 01:54 <DIR> KSPLua

08.10.2014 20:56 <DIR> MagicSmokeIndustries

10.10.2014 19:08 <DIR> MechJeb2

10.10.2014 18:52 46.080 ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll

10.10.2014 12:38 <DIR> NASAmission

10.10.2014 20:42 <DIR> NearFutureSolar

08.10.2014 00:29 <DIR> OpenResourceSystem

08.10.2014 00:29 <DIR> ORSResourcePack

08.06.2014 00:30 <DIR> PartCatalog

08.10.2014 20:25 <DIR> ProceduralDynamics

16.06.2014 21:40 <DIR> ProceduralFairings

15.10.2014 14:43 <DIR> ProceduralParts

11.10.2014 00:11 <DIR> RealChute

04.05.2014 12:48 <DIR> RealSolarSystem

12.10.2014 18:03 <DIR> RemoteTech

08.10.2014 20:03 <DIR> SCANsat

12.10.2014 17:39 <DIR> SelectRoot

10.10.2014 12:39 <DIR> Squad

15.10.2014 01:01 <DIR> StationScience

11.10.2014 00:10 <DIR> ThunderAerospace

16.10.2014 22:56 3.227 toolbar-settings.dat

14.10.2014 23:45 <DIR> Trajectories

08.10.2014 00:29 <DIR> TreeLoader

10.10.2014 15:13 <DIR> TriggerTech

12.10.2014 17:38 <DIR> TweakScale

08.10.2014 00:53 <DIR> WarpPlugin

13.10.2014 14:16 <DIR> [x] Science!

Log is lost, but I can reproduce it easily if needed.

Edited by acc

That new "porkchop" interplanetary transfer node generation feature is totally awesome :D

Really, before I either packed up LOTS of delta-v (like near future mod is allowing to do) and made kind of Hohmann tranfer regardless of transfer windows or was just doing some other stuff not involving interplanetary transfers (especially after visiting all the planets with ~200 ton biomass-generating mothership, but that's another story).

The only request is - is it possible to make other maneuver planner option to be selected by default? Otherwise when you choose some planet as target it starts generating that graph and window size is increasing, which is not alway covenient.

Edited by Mystique

It seems easy to duplicate. I'll have a look.

Btw in one case I had a duplicated vessel and in another case another vessel (~3.5km away) was responding to my inputs too. This was after a crash (the first and only crash I had since .25) and I was not able to reproduce it again. This bug(s) could be also related to RT or something else.

I just want to mention it, maybe it's part of the same "undocking-issue".

Edited by acc

That new "porkchop" interplanetary transfer node generation feature is totally awesome :D

Really, before I either packed up LOTS of delta-v (like near future mod is allowing to do) and made kind of Hohmann tranfer regardless of transfer windows or was just doing some other stuff not involving interplanetary transfers (especially after visiting all the planets with ~200 ton biomass-generating mothership, but that's another story).

The only request is - is it possible to make other maneuver planner option to be selected by default? Otherwise when you choose some planet as target it starts generating that graph and window size is increasing, which is not alway covenient.

Sometimes I open maneuver planner just so I can see some porkchop action! Porkchopgasm!

Sometimes I open maneuver planner just so I can see some porkchop action! Porkchopgasm!

Install Transfer Window Planner for two chops at once. No need to play KSP, just look at the psychadelic screen ^^.

Does anyone have an answer to this?

So, what is the meaning of "dynamic pressure fadeout"?

Please? ...or does nobody know?

(of course, I can guess the meaning, I rather want to know the *exact meaning* of the value, like 1000 what? Cm, km, pressure, height when this limit is not applied anymore?)

Dynamic pressure is in pascal and is equal to the atmo density * (air speed squared). Here MJ use it to know when turning hard will apply too much lateral forces and make the ship loop. When the actual value is higher than the given one then MJ restrict the angle of attack to the given angle (it's a bit more complex since it also smooth the transition)

It's only really useful when FAR or NEAR are installed.

You can display the current value by adding it to a window with the window editor.

The latest version of MechJeb, 2.4.0 downloaded from the link on the first page, is crashing my x64 Steam version of KSP (0.25). The previous version worked fine. With the new version, I can start the game only in x32.

I removed the mod and the game started in x64, so it is definitely MechJeb that is causing the crash. The game crashes right after the loading screen, just before entering the main menu screen.

Here is the crash report: http://www.4shared.com/get/1CRBGtIRce/2014-10-18_145800.html

Until there is a fix, can I download the previous version of mechjeb again from somewhere? I really want to play in x64, since my bigger ships won't cause so much lag compared to x32.

yes it's great with the dropdowns... but i miss the part that the settings where saved... i often use the "do something in a span of seconds". now i have to set the span everytime new. in the last releases the informations i used where saved in the mod... i could use it everytime when i don't change the 15s span.

does somebody knows if there will be a fix? it's annoying to set the parameters everytime new... it was great in the last realease where the data was saved.

would be great. many thanks

The latest version of MechJeb, 2.4.0 downloaded from the link on the first page, is crashing my x64 Steam version of KSP (0.25). The previous version worked fine. With the new version, I can start the game only in x32.

I removed the mod and the game started in x64, so it is definitely MechJeb that is causing the crash. The game crashes right after the loading screen, just before entering the main menu screen.

Here is the crash report: http://www.4shared.com/get/1CRBGtIRce/2014-10-18_145800.html

Until there is a fix, can I download the previous version of mechjeb again from somewhere? I really want to play in x64, since my bigger ships won't cause so much lag compared to x32.

Older versions of MechJeb aren't likely to run under KSP 0.25

As far as running with 64 bit KSP, the problem is KSP itself. Even Squad has said that KSP x64 is MUCH more unstable in version 0.25 than it was with 0.24.2. The main download on the KSP store even lists it as experimental

Bottom line is, no: MechJeb is not crashing 64 bit KSP. 64 bit KSP is just unstable and can barely run as it is.

You might try forcing OpenGL mode though. Supposedly it's more stable that way, but for all I know that's purely anecdotal. There's nothing to lose by trying though.

Older versions of MechJeb aren't likely to run under KSP 0.25

As far as running with 64 bit KSP, the problem is KSP itself. Even Squad has said that KSP x64 is MUCH more unstable in version 0.25 than it was with 0.24.2. The main download on the KSP store even lists it as experimental

Bottom line is, no: MechJeb is not crashing 64 bit KSP. 64 bit KSP is just unstable and can barely run as it is.

You might try forcing OpenGL mode though. Supposedly it's more stable that way, but for all I know that's purely anecdotal. There's nothing to lose by trying though.

I was playing KSP x64, Steam, 0.25, with the previous version of MechJeb and everything worked just fine. Only today I have downloaded the new version. After installing it, the game crashed. After removing it, it would start again. After reinstalling, it would crash again. I'm pretty sure it's mechjeb.

As for the crashes on x64, I can handle a few crashes way better than lagging ships for the entire duration of a mission.

I was playing KSP x64, Steam, 0.25, with the previous version of MechJeb and everything worked just fine. Only today I have downloaded the new version. After installing it, the game crashed. After removing it, it would start again. After reinstalling, it would crash again. I'm pretty sure it's mechjeb.

As for the crashes on x64, I can handle a few crashes way better than lagging ships for the entire duration of a mission.

No, it's not MJ. x64 ist so borked, that single mods can reliably cause crashes over a time period and then just work fine at other times. It's basically impossible to solve actual issues in x64, i recommend to switch to the older version and ATM.

Can you elaborate, because I don't see anything SOI related in that screenshot.

Look at Orbit Info. MJ usually reports negative values for Apoapsis if its trajectory is out of the SOI. Those values there indicate a long elliptical orbit, when KSP has it on an escape trajectory.

I've been looking in the posted manual and the search function on the forum for how to use the new porkchop transfer function. All I've found are posts about how much people like it, but no documentation on how to use this think. :) It looks great and very colorful, but really no idea what to do with it or what the colors on the display mean. Anyone have anything written up on using this new feature?

I've been looking in the posted manual and the search function on the forum for how to use the new porkchop transfer function. All I've found are posts about how much people like it, but no documentation on how to use this think. :) It looks great and very colorful, but really no idea what to do with it or what the colors on the display mean. Anyone have anything written up on using this new feature?

It shows a plot with departure date along the horizontal x-axis and transfer time along the vertical y-axis. The colors represent delta-V expenditure for the transfer, with blue being the lowest values and red being the highest. Good transfer windows are the blue pork chop shaped areas, hence the name.

Can you elaborate, because I don't see anything SOI related in that screenshot.

According to the orbit info I'm in orbit (apoapsis and orbital period), but according to the projected orbit, I'm not. This is taken directly after aerobreaking with an asteroid, which gave my projected apoaps to be in Gigameters.

According to the wiki, Kerbin's SoI ends at 84Mm. So maybe a small error in Mechjeb's database? I don't know where exactly it gets the numbers

Blue is less deltaV, red is more deltaV.

Get in orbit, target a planet and Mechjeb will calculate all possible trajectorys. The end result is similar to http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/ , except that with Mechjeb, you can just click and let it make the node.

If you mouse over the graph, it will tell you below the deltaV costs, time until depart, and time until arival (or travel time? Can't remember which one, can't look up right now.) On the vertical axis is the travel time

It automaticly selects the cheapest transfer within the selected paramaters (you can select a maximum depart time), and pick a comprimise between depart time and deltaV costs.

Pick your combination of depart time/travel time, deltaV costs, click on it, and hit create/excecute node. Done (you'll need to finetune the encounter once you're in interplanetery space, like always you can't be perfectly accurate at such distances)

The latest version of MechJeb, 2.4.0 downloaded from the link on the first page, is crashing my x64 Steam version of KSP (0.25). The previous version worked fine.

Did you download the latest dev version (small type link on first page) or the latest release version?

No idea if anyone else is having this problem, or if there's a solution anywhere, I have installed MechJeb correctly, the part shows up in the editor, I put the part on my ship and I get none of the MechJeb windows or anything. I go to launch site there is still no MechJeb windows, it is not working at all, I looked on the internet and I couldn't find any solutions

g5MbQOI.png

Image shows mechjeb on ship without any mechjeb windows.

UPDATE: I found solution, turns out one of my mods (HyperEdit or Chatterer, don't know which one) was causing it to not work.

Edited by Matto