[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Hello there,

I would like to report my issue...

Despite unchecking "use the applauncher" option, the Icon still appear in the KSP app launcher. As I use Toolbar plugin, I would like to be able to use only one of the icons ;) I think this is a bug.

Kind regards.

P.S. I love your great add-on, either when helping to do tedious repeating task or just to help me limit my thrust or acceleration to very small amounts and gain precision you couldn't had with keyboard without your tool.

It's a bug, he fixed it in a dev build after the official release, get the dev builds here. v341 does not have the bug.

There any trick to getting it to work? Whenever I turn on autopilot, it suddenly and sharply turns the plane a little, and then lets it tilt back to prograde, and then turns sharply again, then back, repeating every half a second. Doing so then causes the plane to stall.

(I am running FAR... does that have specific requirements?)

I've found you need to manually horse the plane around to point in the general direction of the runway, then set the slope to 10 degrees. Otherwise the autopilot is never going to get the plane turned around the right way and will fly it into the ground or ocean well short of the runway. When you get close enough you can change the slope so it will get down to landing altitude. At the 10 degree setting, adjust throttle to the point where you're either not losing altitude or are very slowly losing altitude.

What I still haven't managed to do is get a plane down from orbit to a low enough altitude to make a landing at KSC from the west. Always end up way too high and overshooting. Most likely need to fly manually and downwards until reaching a low enough altitude, but not so low as to hit those pesky mountains.

Ascent guidance in Build 340, in the limited testing I've done so far on a couple of modified stock planes in .25, seems to be somewhat more useful with planes. I manually flew up to jet flameout then engaged the AP while switching to rockets. It didn't go for straight up but continued to fly like a plane.

Unless you have a plane with very high TWR with a design that can get off the runway with a quick rotation - without breaking pieces off - you don't want to try using ascent guidance from launch on planes.

The ability to have several control points on the ascent profile shape would be very useful, especially if the lower section could be curved the opposite direction for horizontal takeoff.

Now I just need to modify my "Hot Needle" spaceplane spaceplane refueling tanker some more so it can actually carry enough fuel to orbit to refuel the modified Stearwing which made 70K orbit with about .25 unit of fuel left. That was despite replacing the cargo bay with a short tank and inline docking port. I also replaced the toroidal LF drop tanks with six of the ReStock drop tanks. Only used about half that by flameout.

The Stearwing flies great, until it runs out of fuel, then it has the glide ratio of a lawn dart. As a spaceplane it's mainly useful for stranding Kerbals in orbit, assuming you can get it to orbit before running dry. Definitely requires modding to make it a useful craft.

how do i launch into a chase orbit, say i want to be 8 hours or 120' behind/ahead of another satellite in the same orbit?

Can't help with your question but do you realise that the Kerbin day is only 6 hours long...?

how do i launch into a chase orbit, say i want to be 8 hours or 120' behind/ahead of another satellite in the same orbit?

Here is one way, maybe not the best, but works:

1 - Get into an orbit that is lower, or higher if your other object is in LKO, by about 20 to 25km.

2 - Select target once you are circularized.

3 - Create a maneuver node and move it around until your new orbit is the same as target and the distance on orbital map 'looks about right' by watching the markers for nearest approach.

4 - Make the maneuver and circularize. You should be about where you want to be.

Good luck.

There seems to be a strange problem with my mechjeb.

When I try to use Ascent guidance my rocket flies in to the ground. Is it normal?

Completely normal and intended for ascent guidance to not ascend.*

(my guess is that your controlling part is upside down, though).

*not actually normal or intended.

The auto landing seems to be worse than it was in 0.24. When I try to land at the KSC launch pad, while in orbit it always seems to burn retrograde too much and the blue landing target overshoots the pad. Then the ship has to turn prograde and burn to correct the error. Then it doesn't auto warp below 70,000m. It seems to be stuck in a course correctin loop where it can't find the vector to point to to correct the last 0.1m/s.

Edited by bdito

Hi! I'm having some issues with MechJeb and I was hoping you guys could help me! I have the latest version of KSP, but when I download MechJeb, I can't find the component to attach to the spacecraft, not sure if there's some kind of comparability issue or not. I'm using Windows 8 by the way

Hi! I'm having some issues with MechJeb and I was hoping you guys could help me! I have the latest version of KSP, but when I download MechJeb, I can't find the component to attach to the spacecraft, not sure if there's some kind of comparability issue or not. I'm using Windows 8 by the way

The Mechjeb part is in the control section of the VAB. But it has to be unlocked in the tech tree first.

This is a 0.22 version pic but I think all the mechjeb components are in the same place.

A956A2225483E764919C0F6E468FFB30F2FECBC8

Edited by bdito

I have no idea why but autoland on the Mun is messed up for me, for whatever reason it never seems to use enough engine power to land safely and it displays DV needed to land as 0. I am using Ven's Stock Part Revamp, but I don't think it should cause this behavior......

I have no idea why but autoland on the Mun is messed up for me, for whatever reason it never seems to use enough engine power to land safely and it displays DV needed to land as 0. I am using Ven's Stock Part Revamp, but I don't think it should cause this behavior......

The only times that's happened for me is when my rocket just didn't have the thrust to safely land, period. MJ would attempt a landing how it could but the rocket just wasn't strong enough to manage it.

Might be a crazy question in the MechJeb thread, but have you tried to land it yourself and were you successful?

Anyone know why MJ will dock in Kerbin orbit, but not in Munar orbit? The same active and passive vehicles in both cases... but it Munar orbit all the AP does is chase it's own tail (I.E. a rapidly moving maneuver marker) and never actually closes in on the target.

The only times that's happened for me is when my rocket just didn't have the thrust to safely land, period. MJ would attempt a landing how it could but the rocket just wasn't strong enough to manage it.

Might be a crazy question in the MechJeb thread, but have you tried to land it yourself and were you successful?

Yes I have landed this design safely once......

Sarbian (and anyone helping him...),

I'm still having an issue with the LGAP that is difficult to describe, let alone pinpoint the source of the trouble. I've posted about this before (to the point of nearly ad nauseum...), and I think even posted logs from KSP builds back to 0.22. The problem in MJ dates back at least a hundred and fifty builds (mid-hundreds, anyway).

Here's my general description of the problem:

1. KERBIN -- I'm setting up a landing at KSP, usually at the pad. Altitude doesn't matter. MJ will set up the initial de-orbit burn correctly, and displays the RED target icon on the surface where the target coordinates say I've selected. The BLUE target, which is supposed to indicate where the ship is actually heading, fixes itself at some odd location, seemingly 180 degrees from where the periapsis of the orbit intersects the surface. When MJ makes the first adjustment in the deorbit burn, it sees this odd location as the "floating" target. MJ then dutifully rotates the ship 180 degrees (retro-grade to pro-grade) and tries to make that BLUE target meet up with the RED target. That BLUE target doesn't move at all, and MJ will burn every drop of fuel in the tank in the process. MJ is apparently either reading those coordinates from an erroneous variable, or is calculating the coordinates incorrectly. If I kill the LGAP before the correction burn, that BLUE target will immediately jump to the correct location, and track the corrections I make manually.

2. MUN -- Similar situation. The initial deorbit burn begins correctly, but when it gets to the "fine tuning" portion of the burn, the burn hangs. In one landing attempt, the correction burn never occurred and the lander completely missed the landing target. It ended up slamming into the surface close to the periapsis intersect point farther downrange.

The logs are not showing any Null Refs.

Linux Mint 17, 64-bit

KSP 0.25 -- MJ dev 341, FAR 14.3.1

The Mechjeb part is in the control section of the VAB. But it has to be unlocked in the tech tree first.

This is a 0.22 version pic but I think all the mechjeb components are in the same place.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/470919023191407617/A956A2225483E764919C0F6E468FFB30F2FECBC8/

Unless the MechJeb has been integrated into the SAS module or some other component, it physically dose not exist in my game, which is strange. I've installed the files from this site, placed it directly into the KSP folder without removing any files from it or editing it in any way. I am playing it through steam, so I don't know if that could be affecting it in any way? Sucks cos before I had it on steam, it did work, but that was an older version of KSP :/

I am having a problem where I download the latest version of mechjeb, install in the gamedata folder in KSP 0.25 (windows 8.1), same as I have always done and not had any problems with, but now with 0.25, I see the parts and can attach them but when I attach the part to my Pod, the mechjeb flyout does not appear on any screen and I am not able to access any of mechjebs' components. Does anyone have this problem and possibly a solution?