[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

ahhh now i get it, thanks. So if i want to turn at higher alt, i'll need to manage my speed accordingly. Now i know what to tweak on my rocket design.

That's not quite what I meant. You can do it that way, or you could just change the speed at which the turn starts.

ahhh now i get it, thanks. So if i want to turn at higher alt, i'll need to manage my speed accordingly. Now i know what to tweak on my rocket design.

It's like this: If you have a pretty good TWR then you should start turning earlier. You can afford to and early turns are better because you start building up that horizontal movement early and only have to spend a few hundred DV to circularize instead of a few thousand.

You start your turn high up if you just don't have the TWR to pull off an early turn. A starting TWR of 1.6 (ASL) is good. If possible I start my turns no later than 250m and most of my designs have the TWR to be doing 100m/s by then, or close to it.

Would it be possible to get drag locks for the MechJeb windows, say able to turn them on and off in the MechJeb main window? Every now and them I go to turn my view and drag a window as well.

I have noticed there seems to no way to change argument of periapsis using mechjeb build 445. I am pretty sure it was possible to do this before. Any ideas please?

Is it still locked in my tech tree?

Removed from mechjeb?

Still in Mechjeb but and there is a bug on my save game?

Any ideas welcome. Thanks ;-)

I also have started to need argument of periapsis maneuver node editing, but I can't find it. :(

Maybe a small suggestion: can you add 2 buttons to the rendezvous planner: "execute next maneuver" and "cancel maneuver"?

Because it needs the maneuver planner window to be opened in order to execute the maneuvers you've set with the rendezvous planner.

Maybe a small suggestion: can you add 2 buttons to the rendezvous planner: "execute next maneuver" and "cancel maneuver"?

Because it needs the maneuver planner window to be opened in order to execute the maneuvers you've set with the rendezvous planner.

I agree with this...because...well, because I'm just kinda lazy. LOL. That, and one less MJ2 window cluttering the screen. Doesn't even need to be two buttons. The Rendezvous Autopilot has this button. Would be nice if the Planner did as well.

That's not quite what I meant. You can do it that way, or you could just change the speed at which the turn starts.

but on the window i see its set at 100m/s and there's no way to change it there.

It's like this: If you have a pretty good TWR then you should start turning earlier. You can afford to and early turns are better because you start building up that horizontal movement early and only have to spend a few hundred DV to circularize instead of a few thousand.

You start your turn high up if you just don't have the TWR to pull off an early turn. A starting TWR of 1.6 (ASL) is good. If possible I start my turns no later than 250m and most of my designs have the TWR to be doing 100m/s by then, or close to it.

got it! thanks!!

See... the odd thing about MJ not properly taking the craft to orbit is this: So you place it in autopilot, and the throttles are left untouched. Turn it OFF afterwards, and it zeros the throttle, so there is still some connection there that is working. While en-route to orbit, if you manually take care of the throttles, it will still change the craft's course as normal, so that works. The messages at the bottom of the Ascent box still update and swap according to the proper events, IE, once I have the apoapsis where I want it, it updates from 'Gravity Turn' to 'Coasting to Edge of Atmosphere'. So again, that portion is seemingly still working. All other aspects I've tested of MJ still function as I expect, though I've not had reason to do rendezvous or docking evolutions yet.

I'm no coder, but to me, it would seem that something was either accidentally edited in the throttle control area, or the full version of Kerbal changed something somewhere so that the previous code is no longer reliable. It's still a great mod, and I can still use it for a great many things, but at least on my end, there's something definitely hinky.

For future reference, I figured this out. I'm going to guess that Moo (and anyone else seeing this problem) have access to the MJ tools like the ascent guidance availiable BEFORE it's actually unlocked. Not sure how this is happening, but it was the case for me. With the Ascent Guidance part itself not actually unlocked via science, you get the issues I described above. Once it's unlocked properly, works as intended.

Actually it would be useful to have this "execute next node / cancel execution" button as an object that can be placed into a custom window. I quite often use this function for nodes made by hand or with preciseNode.

For future reference, I figured this out. I'm going to guess that Moo (and anyone else seeing this problem) have access to the MJ tools like the ascent guidance availiable BEFORE it's actually unlocked. Not sure how this is happening, but it was the case for me. With the Ascent Guidance part itself not actually unlocked via science, you get the issues I described above. Once it's unlocked properly, works as intended.

Mines in sandbox mode. Does unlocking it in career mode affect sandbox mode?

Those having problem with the ascent AP : Put your log somewhere and post a screenshot with the delta-V window open when getting near the point it should burn.

Edited by sarbian

I've run into the ascent AP not being able to control the throttle before. And the maneuver nodes not getting throttle when executed. This has happened to me when updating from build 438 to 449 or later (I haven't tried any builds between 438 and 449, so the change may have been anywhere in between). I also noticed that when this happens, the slideout drawer for mechjeb has a lot fewer windows available (But the autopilot and maneuver planner were still available through blizzty's toolbar). This is happening early in a career game where I haven't unlocked the tech that should allow the ascent autopilot and maneuver planner. But back in build 438, they were available at the start, when they shouldn't have been. I'm wondering if that was fixed in between builds and this is an effect of having a ship that thinks it has the functionality and a backend that thinks it doesn't (or something like that)?

This seems to save something in the persistence file, because even if I delete the GameData\Mechjeb2 directory and reinstall build 438, the problem is still there. But switching back to an older persistence file after moving back to build 438 fixes it.

Sorry, I don't have logs from when I've had this happen, but I thought this info might be helpful.

Edit: Looking back at the changelog, it looks like the science unlocking was fixed in build 440, so this looks like it may well be related.

Edited by khearn

Build 455 got a lander down safely, though offshore from KSC, after returning from Mun and circularizing into an equatorial 72KM orbit. I saved just before starting the landing so I can try build 458 from the same starting conditions.

It appeared to be turning the lander slightly to affect the north/south deflection during the firey phase. I had use RCS for small corrections enabled. The landing site looked like it was pretty close in line with the pad, just a bit overshot. :) Perfectly upright and a gentle plopdown into the water.

Valentina had something to say about her spacecraft, seaweed and something else that was either unintelligible or unfit for mixed company. Any landing you can swim away from...

I agree with this...because...well, because I'm just kinda lazy. LOL. That, and one less MJ2 window cluttering the screen. Doesn't even need to be two buttons. The Rendezvous Autopilot has this button. Would be nice if the Planner did as well.

Ask, and ye shall receive. This from the dev version (#457): Add execute nodes button to the RendezVous Guidance

Edited by Apollo13

Been following this thread fairly closely since the 1.0 updates. I want to thank you very much for your work on this tool.

Naturally, I have a request, too :wink: if you or others think it seems like an appropriate addition: on the Ascent Guidance menu, I think I would like an option to limit the throttle to a % of terminal velocity.

Whether you add it or not, thanks again.

AgentMOO : Well, now I ll need the craft file with the required mod / MM patch. I saw an exeception in the log and you have those NaN in the Dv window.

MechJeb2 -> at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.VesselSimulator.PartSim.New (.Part thePart, Int32 id, Double atmosphere, KerbalEngineer.LogMsg log) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.VesselSimulator.Simulation.PrepareSimulation (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, Double theGravity, Double theAtmosphere, Double theMach, Boolean dumpTree, Boolean vectoredThrust, Boolean fullThrust) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.VesselSimulator.SimManager.StartSimulation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

AgentMOO : Well, now I ll need the craft file with the required mod / MM patch. I saw an exeception in the log and you have those NaN in the Dv window.

I actually ran into something similar with the NaN in the Dv window, except that it was with TWR and SLT and only happens if a specific mods part is the root part, no MJ exceptions in the log, checked just now with 459. Do you want the craft file for that one?

screenshot58_zpshlhqagy1.png

http://www./download/773pgba671mrv38/newb6.craft Electric engines (Problems with ascent guidance)

http://www./download/gn382p8r24t5w3o/newb7.craft Thud Engines (problems with rendezvous autopilot)

MechJeb2 -> at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.VesselSimulator.PartSim.New (.Part thePart, Int32 id, Double atmosphere, KerbalEngineer.LogMsg log) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.VesselSimulator.Simulation.PrepareSimulation (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, Double theGravity, Double theAtmosphere, Double theMach, Boolean dumpTree, Boolean vectoredThrust, Boolean fullThrust) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.VesselSimulator.SimManager.StartSimulation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0