[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Additionally, if you want to ditch a given stage prior to circularizing, just manually separate the stage once you hit initial MECO and begin the coast to apoapsis.

I think the greater challenge is designing your rocket so as to keep from having the trans-munar/minmus injection stage that is in perpetual orbit of Kerbin or the Mun/Minmus. I resolve this with MechJeb by setting the initial periapsis at 0 and then using the orbit/landing stage to lift periapsis after separation of the injection stage. At that distance, the difference between a 100km periapsis and a 0km periapsis is a couple meters/sec, so it only takes a very small burn to make the manuevers.

Edited by CAPFlyer

Additionally, if you want to ditch a given stage prior to circularizing....

Another approach is to do most of you circularizing maneuver, say until your periapsis is about 20km or so, then ditch the stage and complete the circular orbit with the next stage. This might be used if the launch stage can do the launch phase maneuvers but won't contain enough delta-v to do the Trans Munnar Injection.

Hello.

How does one use the rendezvous option? I have a space station I want to get kerbals to but I don't know how to use it. Help would be great, thanks!

I'd first start by checking out the Orbital Mechanics tutorial in the How To forum: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/15652-Orbital-Mechanics-101-A-Kerbal-Space-Program-Tutorial

Can we assume you have Mechjeb installed and that you've built a ship with a Mechjeb module so that you get all the menus?

Two problems:

- I lost the Ascent Autopilot stats window. It isn't under any other window... it disapeared. I tried to restart the game, etc, but it doesn't come back. Where I can reset the position of mechjeb's windows? Or maybe there is another way to retrieve it.

- If I have two stages: stage 0 with only parachutes, and stage 1 with the engines and everything else, the ascent autopilot will release the parachutes automatically on take-off... The workaround is disable the auto-staging.

Edited by Caroliano

is mechjeb using a PIO control loop by chance and if so is there away to edit the gain on it?

seem like gain is WAY to high (controls twitch / hunting) very much like when i put the gain to high on my RC helis tail gyro the tail will "hunt" for center

oh and any to get a space craft to roll to the right heading be for starting the turn? i have a few that are very pitch sensitive that need to be rolled on to the right heading first

Edited by Elios

It's not broken. MechJeb's role is to constantly correct your ship orientation during flight. RCS's role is to assist in orientation correction. If you let your RCS on, MechJeb will use them, that's what they're for.

Broken, not broken. Mechjeb uses RCS the wrong way, or lets say more correct, it uses RCS every time the same way.

When your in landing or ascent mode its ok to use RCS full burning and make as much correction as fast as possible in order to stay on course.

But when you go interplanetary it would be no problem to limit movement dynamics radical.

So there should be some °/sek. limiter in order to mimimize RCS fuel.

For example - you want turn from PRO GRAD to RETR GRAD in Smart A.S.S. (its a 180° turn) and you want do this with mimimum RCS usage. You would use the thrusters for a mimimum push in one direction and then waiting until you reach your target and then you wil make the same mimimum push again to stop the turn.

Therefore i think MechJeb must learn to limit °/sek. turning and not pushing further when this °/sek. turnrate is reached or correct to less °/sek. if there is more.

And this is valid with or without RCS - Mechjeb turns MUCH to hard. For the moment using RCS with mechjeb is only usable during ascent or landig mode.

To make it usefull interplanetary i would say between 2° and 3°/sek. could be the usefull maximum.

Two problems:

- I lost the Ascent Autopilot stats window. It isn't under any other window... it disapeared. I tried to restart the game, etc, but it doesn't come back. Where I can reset the position of mechjeb's windows? Or maybe there is another way to retrieve it.

Delete the file "MechJeb.cfg" in the "PluginData/MuMechLib" folder. It will reset all MechJeb settings and restore windows to default positions.

I've double checked again. The MuMechLib.dll is in the Plugins folder. I really don't know what else to do.

I'm having exactly this problem on two different machines.

Fresh download of KSP 0.16 from the store, fresh download of MechJeb from http://svn.mumech.com/KSP/trunk/Releases/MechJeb_1.9.1.zip

My parts folder has all the mumech_* parts. My plugins folder has MuMechLib.dll.

Yet all the parts are greyed and unusable.

I checked which DLLs KSP.exe had loaded using sysinternal's ListDLls and didn't see MuMechLib.dll loaded in there.

Initally i thought the problem was related to the windows downloaded file security measures. I tried stripping the NTFS extra data stream that is used to store the downloaded file "tag" using sysinternal's streams, but that didn't help.

One machine is using Windows 7 64bit and the other Windows 8 Release Preview 64bit.

Edit:

Poking through output_log.txt I see this:

Being asked to load C:/Program Files (x86)/KSP_win/KSP_Data/../Plugins\MuMechLib.dll
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\KSP_win\Plugins\MuMechLib.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading assembly: MuMechLib, Version=1.8.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

And later on:

Part: 'C:/Program Files (x86)/KSP_win/KSP_Data\../Parts\mumech_MechJebPod\part.cfg'

MissingFieldException: Field '.InternalModel.seats' not found.
at Part.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
PartLoader:ParsePartCfg(ConfigNode, Boolean)
PartLoader:ParsePartCfg(String, Boolean)
PartLoader:doProcessPart(GameObject[], Boolean)
PartLoader:startPartAssemblyAndSave(GameObject[])
FileIO:Loaded(Boolean)
:MoveNext()

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at MuMechJebPod.onPartLoad () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.OnLoad () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader.ParsePartCfg (.ConfigNode node, Boolean isHeirarchyModel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader.ParsePartCfg (System.String fullPath, Boolean isHeirarchyModel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader.doProcessPart (UnityEngine.GameObject[] mdls, Boolean partLabMode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader.startPartAssemblyAndSave (UnityEngine.GameObject[] mdls) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FileIO.Loaded (Boolean success) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DAE+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RenderingManager.RemoveFromPostDrawQueue (Int32 queueSpot, .Callback drawFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.MechJebCore.onPartDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMechJeb.onPartDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMechJebPod.onPartDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RenderingManager.RemoveFromPostDrawQueue (Int32 queueSpot, .Callback drawFunction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMechJeb.onPartDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMechJebAR202.onPartDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by Kaso
More info

Broken, not broken. Mechjeb uses RCS the wrong way, or lets say more correct, it uses RCS every time the same way.

When your in landing or ascent mode its ok to use RCS full burning and make as much correction as fast as possible in order to stay on course.

But when you go interplanetary it would be no problem to limit movement dynamics radical.

So there should be some °/sek. limiter in order to mimimize RCS fuel.

For example - you want turn from PRO GRAD to RETR GRAD in Smart A.S.S. (its a 180° turn) and you want do this with mimimum RCS usage. You would use the thrusters for a mimimum push in one direction and then waiting until you reach your target and then you wil make the same mimimum push again to stop the turn.

Therefore i think MechJeb must learn to limit °/sek. turning and not pushing further when this °/sek. turnrate is reached or correct to less °/sek. if there is more.

And this is valid with or without RCS - Mechjeb turns MUCH to hard. For the moment using RCS with mechjeb is only usable during ascent or landig mode.

To make it usefull interplanetary i would say between 2° and 3°/sek. could be the usefull maximum.

I'd love a little window to type in a °/sec limitation, gain settings, and so on and so forth; that would be wonderful (perhaps an "Advanced" window) - or even exposing whatever raw internal variables/"constants" MechJeb has, and we can figure out the conversions if the MechJeb developers give us a "134 is slow, 8734 is fast" type of instruction. Alternately or in addition, a way of changing from being full in "impulse to start, wait, impulse to stop" mode vs. continuous power would also work well.

As far as automatic rate limiting, I have to strongly disagree. For one, when I want to save RCS fuel, I leave them off - then we have the "slow, fuel-saving" mode. But even in interplanetary flight, perhaps I was out getting coffee, and came back to see I was just past the ascending node of an orbital intersection, and I want Smart A.S.S. to get me turned the right way for an inclination change burn RIGHT NOW!!!. Sometimes you want to save fuel, sometimes you want to save time - at 1.9.1, save fuel = RCS off, and save time = RCS on, with nothing in between - it's enough now, though as I said above, I'd love to have the intermediate modes available, but right now we have the two extremes available - I'd be quite annoyed to lose the "save time" option we have now.

Delete the file "MechJeb.cfg" in the "PluginData/MuMechLib" folder. It will reset all MechJeb settings and restore windows to default positions.

Thanks. I saw the file, and indeed the stats display position was outside my screen. Editing it to a normal value made it appear again. The problem is that I can click and hold in the middle of the status display and drag it outside the window when runing KSP in windowed mode. Then, there is no way to drag it back, except by editing the .cfg. I must have done that earlier...

Actually, although I think Mechjeb is the top plugin out there, the way it abuses RCS is so much of an issue for me that I never allow Mechjeb to use RCS thrusters. I always use them manually.

So, I very strongly disagree with you Nadrek. There is nothing mechjeb does with RCS that can't be done far more efficiently (RCS fuel wise) with manual control. This is very different from most other Mechjeb functions, which are fairly efficient.

No disrespect intended, just pointing out the issue.

:D

I'm having exactly this problem on two different machines.

Fresh download of KSP 0.16 from the store, fresh download of MechJeb from http://svn.mumech.com/KSP/trunk/Releases/MechJeb_1.9.1.zip

My parts folder has all the mumech_* parts. My plugins folder has MuMechLib.dll.

Yet all the parts are greyed and unusable.

I checked which DLLs KSP.exe had loaded using sysinternal's ListDLls and didn't see MuMechLib.dll loaded in there.

Initally i thought the problem was related to the windows downloaded file security measures. I tried stripping the NTFS extra data stream that is used to store the downloaded file "tag" using sysinternal's streams, but that didn't help.

One machine is using Windows 7 64bit and the other Windows 8 Release Preview 64bit.

Edit:

Poking through output_log.txt I see this:

Being asked to load C:/Program Files (x86)/KSP_win/KSP_Data/../Plugins\MuMechLib.dll
Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\KSP_win\Plugins\MuMechLib.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading assembly: MuMechLib, [B]Version=1.8.4.0[/B], Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

I've highlighted the problem... If you don't replace the DLL with the 1.9.1 version, it won't work :wink:

Okay, need some help, badly. When I click the 'orbit information' pane... I get nothing any more, for some reason. Somehow, my orbit information pane has decided to vacation somewhere. As I kinda need that pane... how do I reset mechjeb to 'default?'

Also, since I'm here- the small engines for the 'pod' style mechjeb construct. Am I the only one that has them utterly bug out in orbit around the Mun? On Kerbin, the engines act normal and I can land it fine. but on the Mun the exhaust acts like it's proccing from somewhere ABOVE the ship, and makes a big white "X" over my craft. In addition, the pod wobbles so hard that it actually causes framerate issues. Is.. this a known thing? am I unique?

Tassyr: about the window, see my last post in this thread, in this page (including the quote).

Thank you SO much :D

just saved three kerbals' lives. XD

Edited by Tassyr

I've highlighted the problem... If you don't replace the DLL with the 1.9.1 version, it won't work :wink:

I think that was just a fluke as I was messing about with back-dating mechjeb version to see if any of those worked.

However! It seems that MechJeb (1.19.1) works fine if I run KSP in Administrator mode.

I installed my KSP to Program Files, and that prevents the exe from writing to its own folder, that seems to interfere with the loading of the dll.

Xaito might want to try that.

awesome plugin.

any chance we cant get some graphic output for autom8? just a basic x,y plot window with functions like puts(x,y,color), line(x1,y1,x2,y2,color), cls(color), text(str,x,y,color), etc, which could be called from a script. im kind of interested in making some hud instrumentation.

Now i had an idea on how to improve the landing system.. I already like it but what if you had a switch or a way to make the parachute "Auto Deploy at a set altitude.

For example it would be like the ascent module but you would add in a set attitude when the parachute auto opens.. (Say 10km.. ) of course there would also be an "Override system in case the auto chute system failed.. And this would be a simple auto toggle or button..

Other than that I've tested the computer system out and it's pretty sold... Benn tweaking my rockets and have had very few failures.. (Only issue on landing I can see is tht the nose is pointing at the ground instead of facing backwards.. (Probably a simple prgramming error where instead of a Negative coordinate on the capsule, it's a postiive one causing it to point earthwards..

Other than that, excellent system..

Space_Coyote

Okay, need some help, badly. When I click the 'orbit information' pane... I get nothing any more, for some reason. Somehow, my orbit information pane has decided to vacation somewhere. As I kinda need that pane... how do I reset mechjeb to 'default?'

It's probably located somewhere beyond your screen. Go to the PluginData directory, find and enter the MuMech directory en delete the cfg file there. That will reset all MechJeb screens to their default value.

I found, or rather noticed, a nice "hidden feature" in mechjab :D I'm sending up a bunch of communication satellites.

Make your prefered rocket, send it up useing the acent module to your prefered altitude.

Decide how many you want, and do 360/x, or how decide many degrees separation you want.

Now activate the roundevouz part of the acent module, select your prev. rocket, and add (or substract) the prefered value.

Now you can send up a nice evenly spaced sattelite network :D

The only downside is, this probably will not work for keostatenary ones.

Sending theese little buggers out to space:

screenshot107.png

screenshot110.png

Edited by djnekkid