Star Wars: The Force Awakens

FishInferno

The one thing I hate. WHY ARE U STILL USING THE X-WING! FOR THE TIME THAT THIS MOVIE TAKES PLACE IN ITS LIKE BRINGING A FIRST GENERATION SABRE AGAINST A F-18! .oh, wait--the empire is still using tie-fighters. That's like bringing a KI-10 against a Spitfire mk5 VB/trop. Less difference in capabilities but, still.

They are newer X-wings, which makes sense, since newer versions would have upgrades but there is no reason to ditch the X-design. The "original" X-wings were the successor to the ARC-170, and these newer X-wings are just the bigger better faster stronger fighters. They look sleeker and more agile.

Also, the First Order has probably upgraded their TIEs as well. In one shot of the trailer, you can see a TIE firing behind it at a pursuing X-wing, so they have at least added swiveling cannons.

Not sure about the visuals, the story or the acting, but judging by the trailer the soudtrack is awesome. The remastered music and the sounds are really good, especially the laser shots of the X-wings, they're just like in the original movies but with a deeper tone, i like that they kept that sound even though it's kinda outdated...

It's a cool thing since i won't be able to see it in theaters ( :/ ) : if i watch it with good headphones i'll still get the best stuff

I think in the star wars universe, they've gotten to a point where technological advancement has slowed down to the point where you don't see alot of innovation in ship design. Why change something that works?(even if it's a 100 year old design)

I'm not sure I would agree. We have been using the F-16 since the 70's, and can;t really replace it due to money. Who's to say the SW economy can do whatever it wants with unlimited cash?

I think in the star wars universe, they've gotten to a point where technological advancement has slowed down to the point where you don't see alot of innovation in ship design. Why change something that works?(even if it's a 100 year old design)

Also, in star wars it's never really been about the advanced technology, it's always been about the characters and the story. The same story could be told within a single solar system with far less advanced tech and it would probably still be great.

The same story could be told in a fantasy setting, and would still be good.

Star Wars is Fictional Science. Even Star Trek is. But they're all okay. I like Star Wars. It's interesting.

The same story could be told in a fantasy setting, and would still be good.

Star Wars is Fictional Science. Even Star Trek is. But they're all okay. I like Star Wars. It's interesting.

Well Star Wars is more a science fantasy, technology is in the same realm of magic in fantasy world. Setting it in a fantasy world wouldn't have changed it that much.

Well Star Wars is more a science fantasy, technology is in the same realm of magic in fantasy world. Setting it in a fantasy world wouldn't have changed it that much.

The Force is quite literally magic. There's "technology" in the backdrop, but it isn't necessary.

On a slightly different note, I am curious as to how the First Order had the resources to upgrade its TIE fighters, replace its fleet of star destroyers and usher in a new phase of Stormtrooper armor. From what I can tell, what remains of the Empire is just struggling to survive, let alone upgrade its fleet.

Not sure about the visuals, the story or the acting, but judging by the trailer the soudtrack is awesome. The remastered music and the sounds are really good, especially the laser shots of the X-wings, they're just like in the original movies but with a deeper tone, i like that they kept that sound even though it's kinda outdated...

It's a cool thing since i won't be able to see it in theaters ( :/ ) : if i watch it with good headphones i'll still get the best stuff

Saw a comment on youtube video, that since John Williams wasn't available to do the music for the new movie, it should have been contracted out to Two Steps From Hell. While I tend to agree that the music does sound good, I have to say I agree (not that I ever expect that to happen).

As a thought to the X Wing, it might be worth pointing out that the Y Wing started as a Clone War Era fighter, and they were still flying during the Yuuzhan Vong war and Second Galactic Civil War (obviously not top end fighters anymore, but still worth using for some factions). They've changed in appearance a bit, especially the original Clone Wars Era BTL-B, but like a few ships, they've had a stunningly long service life. I think if I have my chronography correct, they've probably been able enough to be worth using for nearly 100 years. They're also probably my favourite design.

Edited by Randox

I personally love the new X-Wing design, it looks much more sleek and agile. But the one ting I am puzzled by, is that it seems the Empire (First Order) once again has the upper hand. What happened to the New Republic?

You obviously don't know your fiction tropes. :)

The bad guy ALWAYS has the upper hand. The bad guy has better weapons, better warships, more territory, more economy, more everything. And (this is what bugs me the most about action movies) the good guys DON'T PICK UP THE BAD GUYS' WEAPONS AFTER KILLING THEM. The bad guys are armed with super duper laser plasma antimatter obliterator pistols that can destroy a city block with one shot--and again and again, the good guys walk right past the dropped weapons as if not even noticing they're there.

I suppose this trope could be part of some over-arching anti-rich-people rhetoric, the message being that having lots of stuff is bad. Well, here's a reality check for Hollywood: if the bad guys' research and development department is turning out better weapons, that doesn't make them bad. It merely makes the good guys idiots. Screw you, good guys--I'm joining Cobra and getting the super-advanced weapons. :cool:

And don't even get me started on how movies and books don't allow the good guys to use their awesome weapons on the rare occasions when they have them. Oh, too late, I just got started on that topic myself! :D Doctor Who of Gallifrey has the knowledge to build about a thousand different superweapons that could have eliminated Davros and the Daleks and the Cybermen and all the other baddies once and for all, but he's never allowed to use them. Just goes to show that even Gallifrey is inferior to the power of the almighty Script Writer. If they really want Doctor Who to be dark and edgy, they should have the Doctor go Epic Rage Time and blow up a planet just once (I mean actually DO IT ON SCREEN, instead of just mentioning "oh, I blew up an entire civilization once")

There, how's that for a rant? :) Bottom line: the New Empire has to have the upper hand in order to scare the audience and give the impression the good guys are up against overwhelming odds. Well, spoiler incoming--in this new Star Wars movie, the bad guys lose.

Let me just put these out here for your... amusement...

I'll have to watch the star wars movies sometime before this new one comes out.

Honestly more excited for Spectre.

Oh yeah, Spectre! I think this is going to be Daniel Craig's last Bond movie, which is primarily why I'm looking forward to it. I don't really like Craig as James Bond, especially compared to the other people who have played the role.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

... Oh yeah, Spectre! I think this is going to be Daniel Craig's last Bond movie, which is primarily why I'm looking forward to it. I don't really like Craig as James Bond.

I agree with you. OK, back on topic: Its gonna be interesting to see the original cast members (this would be the middle trilogy now) in at least the first movie of the final trilogy (meaning the next movie, a la J. J. Abrams). I'm curious about how their characters have matured. Hehe. I think this will be a good time to bring some of the uniforms and galactic technologies a little forward into the future, since the trilogy which comes at the beginning of the story required some retro-looking stuff so as to be older than the middle trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...
Less than a month to go for Star Wars Episode 7: The Hype Awakens!

I found the International Trailer on Space.com, which has scenes that weren't in the US trailer. [URL="http://www.space.com/31059-star-wars-international-trailer-new-footage.html"]Link[/URL] for those who haven't seen it yet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.