Why bother with 1.0.5?

Johnny Wishbone

I stopped playing KSP completely, it's one of those long breaks you need after loosing many nights trying to figure out what went wrong in your costly interplanetary mission, or playing for too long, so long that it got boring.

And I think I'll skip 1.0.5 cause there doesn't seem to be many cool stuff, it's not a huge update. Maybe I'll try 1.1.

I am personally, because downloading all these patches to fix the broken 1.0 update lead to less performance and more bugs on my end (Mac). I'm waiting for 1.1, to see if that helps.

A patch isn't synonymous with lower performance, and I completely fail to see your logic behind this as you are still going for 1.1.

Regardless, I will be holding off on 1.0.5 for a few days - Most of my system, my KSP folder included, is under a 15minute incremental backup regime, so when the patch is out, I'll restore my KSP folder to a safe place and play off that for a while until the myriad of mods I use have caught up. I'm in the middle of a Jool-5 mission, and I do not want to stop playing in the meantime. Plus, this way I'm safe incase my save breaks from the update (which I doubt it will, but one can never bee too careful)

What??? Absolutely not! I'm hoping 1.0.5 is just a couple days away, and that's too long!!!

^ This, exactly.

I'm looking forward to the bug fixes (the heat bugs are really annoying in 1.0.4), the persistent contracts (I've wanted those for a while now), and fiddling around with new parts.

(I wonder if those 0.625m tanks come in LFO variants?)

the 1.0.5 update is a good idea.

Running a bunch of "introduction videos" in advance of the release is a waste of effort. Especially, since the dev notes already toughed on the majority of features. Dugh!

If there is still experimental and bug testing going on, then why pre-release? I think Squad is stuck in a a "pre 1.0 release process paradigm" and they need to get out of that.

More frequent and smaller content releases (even surprises without announcements) punctuated with well planned and tested engine evolution releases is the way to go.

No 64-bit, no bother.

I've probably played a couple of hours of 1.0.x, before giving up on it in frustration. None of the patch update features address the fundamental problem of memory management, so I doubt I'll be playing much.

the 1.0.5 update is a good idea.

Running a bunch of "introduction videos" in advance of the release is a waste of effort. Especially, since the dev notes already toughed on the majority of features. Dugh!

If there is still experimental and bug testing going on, then why pre-release? I think Squad is stuck in a a "pre 1.0 release process paradigm" and they need to get out of that.

More frequent and smaller content releases (even surprises without announcements) punctuated with well planned and tested engine evolution releases is the way to go.

Lots of people obviously like the way squad are doing things, watching these vids, and getting hyped. Therefor they dont 'need' to get out of it.

I plan to have fun with airplanes and such when 1.0.5 hits, but will most likely hold off on starting any serious savegame before 1.1. Make some cool craft files, a couple of screenshots, and work on some mission patches. In the meantime I keep looking forward for 1.1. It will be good to start a serious career again though (last time I did that, we were in version 0.25).

As for the patch, I'm personally planning to use it to finally create an aircraft carrier. Engine upgrades and water physics are the perfect point to go for it! Might need tweakscale for a workable runway tho.

And who knows, maybe we'll end up with some mach capable carrier mining platform thingy skipping over laythe's ocean? :D

Really don't see the point in skipping the update. If you don't care for planes and boats, ok, but otherwise there is lots of new content. Even the heat fixes are very valuable by themselves.

Edited by Temeter

I use Steam on a Mac. I always save a copy of my Save folder somewhere outside the game folders and then I always (auto)update my games, including KSP. I have yet to have any problems doing so and the game always plays fine.

I know that The Long Dark had issues with save files deleting because of the El Capitan update. Does anyone know if this will be an issue for KSP?

I know that The Long Dark had issues with save files deleting because of the El Capitan update. Does anyone know if this will be an issue for KSP?

I keep Steam updated too. Since I also use El Capitan, I would expect that between Apple, Steam and Squad, that KSP should work properly.

I want to download it because well it's a KSP update with some parts in it. So there's hours of fun messing with those. But I also don't want to because I purchased KSP before it was on Steam and now have to download the ENTIRE game every time I want even the smallest patch update. Which takes forever. But I think I'll power through for those new parts.