WW2 Warships 0.5.1 - Is there actually something happening? Stay tuned!

Azimech

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

I'm afraid not, for a number of reasons. Every mod has and will have an example ship but beyond that ... And laziness ... it all depends on how much fun you get from a game ;-)

I have a small hull that floats well, I'll try to make a link available. Basic hull with turbines and steam, you can just add the top decking and the shooty bits..... the hull construction can be taken apart for those who wish to learn from it....

Azimech, thanks for the bug check, I thought it was me.....

regards, Algwat.

I'm testing the Davon Throttle Control Systems mod, and I'm very happy with the result so far! So happy that I'm thinking of replacing the internal workings of the boilers and let everything be controlled with this mod! This is the download page.

And here's a screenshot. I've put the electrical generators under slider no 2, so they only run at that speed instead of slaved to main throttle control and consume power when it's not needed. I could dance in my room of joy!

2g9JTmC.png

2 hours ago, Gibranrl said:

When i drift with my ship it sometimes accelerate to 20m/s or flung a kilometer at 100m/s. The rudder used is Fengist Shipyard (Maritime Pack (yes i know its not in develpment anymore but still works tho) ) tweakscaled rudder.

http://i.imgur.com/pxlxACb.png

sometimes my ships do the same... i can do it with the gull stock craft aswell so im guessing its just the psysics of the game being potato XD

2 hours ago, Gibranrl said:

When i drift with my ship it sometimes accelerate to 20m/s or flung a kilometer at 100m/s. The rudder used is Fengist Shipyard (Maritime Pack (yes i know its not in develpment anymore but still works tho) ) tweakscaled rudder.

http://i.imgur.com/pxlxACb.png

I do not advise the use of parts from different mods for these kind of things, and certainly not Tweakscale. I have never seen this kind of behaviour with my own rudder.

And now for something completely different:

I'm currently busy with a boiler to replace the ISRU model.

FXXqULa.png

Edited by Azimech

8 minutes ago, TheHiddenKitten said:

Please Help! I cant access the download link. All it does is loads for ~5 minutes and then says 504 Gateway Error.

Looks like Kerbal Stuff is down.  @Azimech you really should offer an alternative DL, Kerbal Stuff is not always reliable.

Edit Try again.  It looks to be back up.  you can DL via Ckan.

Edited by mcirish3

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

I'm not aware such a thing is possible at this time.

I'm not sure how Boat Parts props only worked in water and not atmosphere, but you could use curves to effectively negate any thrust at >0m altitude.

Hello I have small problem, I finaly repaired ship so it won't sink everytime and stabilise it, but when I launch turbines, it just do nothing, have big thrust and eat fuel and steam, but don't push. I tried to have turbines underwater and above water too....nothing works.

Spoiler

nSXiOMd.png

Then I tried this weird thing and it go sooo fast....maybe low thrust?S6UdnLP.png

Ok, I'm sorry...I had weird ship....it's working now :D

But still the rudder doesn't work...it can't turn

Edited by Toonu

3 hours ago, Toonu said:

Hello I have small problem, I finaly repaired ship so it won't sink everytime and stabilise it, but when I launch turbines, it just do nothing, have big thrust and eat fuel and steam, but don't push. I tried to have turbines underwater and above water too....nothing works.

Reveal hidden contents

nSXiOMd.png

Then I tried this weird thing and it go sooo fast....maybe low thrust?S6UdnLP.png

Ok, I'm sorry...I had weird ship....it's working now :D

But still the rudder doesn't work...it can't turn

I should add this to the FAQ.

The solution is either to:

• drive the ship into the water
  • if using Hyperedit, throttle up to max before the ships reaches the water - note the Hyperedit drops throttle to zero so you need to do it manually
  • if the ship is stationary in the water, use Hyperedit to flash fill the ship with water for a second, the remove the water again.

Squad has implemented a mechanic to drop a ships speed to zero below a threshold value. The huge mass and therefore low TWR of any ship built with these mods isn't taken account for because frankly ... they didn't exist before. For example my newest battleship has a gross mass of 114k tons and a thrust of only 50k kN. I could ask @NathanKell if at one point in the future he'd like to make an adjustment. Oops, I just did.

I haven't heard or seen any rudder problems before, Have you made sure the orientation of the rudder is correct? They won't work if placed reversed. Have you placed the 77I Orientation Fixer and chosen "Control from here"? What does the Navball show you? Should be a horizon, not the sky.

Ok, orientation fixer fixed it, rudder work normally and I m breaking speed of sound with my ships xD

(I lost control, because captain die... :D and it didn't stop the engines :D)

Now I can finally make some nicer ships!

Edited by Toonu

27 minutes ago, Toonu said:

Ok, orientation fixer fixed it, rudder work normally and I m breaking speed of sound with my ships xD

(I lost control, because captain die... :D and it didn't stop the engines :D)

Now I can finally make some nicer ships!

That's something to be solved ... the speed should never exceed something like 80 km/h. Time to put in a speed curve.

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

Drag is increased below approximately one knot. Are you saying you can't go faster than a single knot? Note that propellers are constant *power* not constant *thrust* so you will probably need to change how the engine is modeled.

That's a good point, another reason for a speed curve. No, all of my ships have a top speed between 23 and 34 knots, which resembles real life performance of that period.

Then it sounds very much like a thrust vs power problem: recall that ship propellers, like air propellers, develop *way* more thrust when you're moving slowly (and this is why SHP required for a top speed is roughly proportional to speed cubed, IIRC). Happily, in 1.0.5 you can do that fairly easily. :)

Almost ready to release my Destroyer, but for some reason the ship, despite weighing 11-12K tons and having ~5.5Kkn of thrust, which was enough to reach 20 M/s earlier, is only outputting 10 M/s, and seems to be slipping all over the place. It leans a lot. There is a compartment of 600 units that fills with water, but I can't nail that either. Lastly the stern seems to act very weird at the very back, especially at 2X warp, and the whole ship explodes in a fireball at 3X warp, though this seems to be a simpler problem than above, as I can just leave the ship on 1X. I have 2 rudders now and updated to .41, I wonder if that could be causing the problem of the slipping around, but that wouldn't really explain the speed, which clearly isn't destroyer speed...

Any ideas or suggestions to tackle this?

Edited by SaturnianBlue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.