The end of an era

TheCardinal

Sometimes progress not only has advantages but also disadvantages. Ever since the creation of the WEKA by Lunniye Korabl, i've been using it. You could say, i fell in love with the little craft. Together we enjoyed every new version of KSP. With real sadness i must admit that that era is over. With the coming of version 1.0.0, the WEKA no longer is a viable mod. As soon as it touches the runway, it sinks through it. Only other parts prevent it from sinking down completely, on it's way to the metallic core of Kerbin. I know it sounds silly, but I feel like i've lost a trusted friend. ;.;
Thanks for all the good services, WEKA and thank you Lunniye for creating it. KSP will never be the same again.

The mod's thread does not give a license - does it say anything in the downloaded files? Maybe someone can revive it if you provide him with your backup - should this be allowed by a licensing.

[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/4019-Weka-Lifeboat-Spaceplane-released-Kergin-Galactic-Spaceplane-update-soon[/url]!

There are others close to that and yes there getting old too Pteron Micro Shuttle and rescue vehicle [url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71095-Pteron-Micro-Shuttle-and-rescue-vehicle[/url] and SNC Dreamchaser Mod [url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100445-Dreamer-SNC-Dreamchaser-Mod-V1-2-UPDATED!-Now-with-%28some%29-FAR-support[/url]! and also Aeria Shuttle [url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91694-Dev-Revived-Part-14-09-14-MOSOI-Industries[/url] and Farscape Module [url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/135357-Farscape-Module-1-0-4[/url]
hope one of them can help and sure, I missed some :(

• 9 months later...
On 30/08/2016 at 8:53 AM, Lunniy Korabl said:

Sorry for the slight necro post, but I'm glad to see people enjoyed using the weka for so long! The original release thread is locked so I can't update the post, but I consider all my KSP mods to be public domain. They're meant to be enjoyed, so please feel free to update, modify and share!

I know necro posting is bad but what about when it 's already done?

Anyway what I'm here for, in the spirit if the above if anybody wants this little thing updated   I  will restore, update and release it open source, free for all, in game ready form including assets. Let me know if there's any interest @TheCardinal

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

That would be quite wonderful! Let me know if you need anything, though I imagine the original files are adequate. It could probably be all one piece now we have part modules, though I found the multiple parts useful for balancing the thing for flight. You'll notice in the config the front was unrealistically light to compensate for the stubby wings being so far back. Now that you can create "actual" lifting bodies, this should be less of an issue.

5 hours ago, Lunniy Korabl said:

That would be quite wonderful! Let me know if you need anything, though I imagine the original files are adequate. It could probably be all one piece now we have part modules, though I found the multiple parts useful for balancing the thing for flight. You'll notice in the config the front was unrealistically light to compensate for the stubby wings being so far back. Now that you can create "actual" lifting bodies, this should be less of an issue.

Hi, she lives, and yes i did have to sort out some oddness with CoM CoLs and CoPs. Although I've made many one part ships, they don't work very well anymore, so i stuck with the as intended multi part,  i could never have trimmed it so nicely otherwise .

All sorted now, made it's first descent this morning, fully updated with integral RCS ports in the nose, a decent level of ablator, maybe too much as i managed  first time, a faultless ish, manual descent to ksc , it got a bit warm but nothing alarming. Toying with making an Iva for it but for now the shuttles cockpit works out, if not a bit too luxurious,

Little picture to bring back warm memories

4pDUobM.png

Looks awesome, though I think the winglets aren't quite in the right place. Should sit right on the edge as if they're an extension of the back "lip". Warm memories flooding back!

11 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Toying with making an Iva for it but for now the shuttles cockpit works out, if not a bit too luxurious.

Yeah maybe a bit luxurious! I always imagined an IVA like the facetmobile. Minimal equipment and struts everywhere!

Y1vJBBY.jpg

Edited by Lunniy Korabl

On 8/30/2016 at 2:53 AM, Lunniy Korabl said:

Sorry for the slight necro post, but I'm glad to see people enjoyed using the weka for so long! The original release thread is locked so I can't update the post, but I consider all my KSP mods to be public domain. They're meant to be enjoyed, so please feel free to update, modify and share!

You could add a license file to the zip files, I think drop box would leave the links the same.  Your mod was made LONG before the rule was put in place, but new mods today are required to have that anyway.

Edited by Alshain

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

You could add a license file to the zip files, I think drop box would leave the links the same.  Your mod was made LONG before the rule was put in place, but new mods today are required to have that anyway.

As long as the (zip)filename remains the same, the dropbox link wil remain the same.

It looks good, though the .cfg files are bewildering to me.

Some sort of decoupler/adapter so it could be launched on a 1.25m booster would be useful, and that would open up opportunities for Contracts. I'm thinking of something similar to the 1960s tests of lifting bodies that NASA did. A suborbital flight and return to KSC, that sort of thing.

If it were that sort of test craft, it would be possible to add a radial docking port module and some sort of small OMS sub-system so it could be docked with an orbital station as a lifeboat. I find myself wondering if some of this stuff was around in early 2012, did KSP support docking back then?

6 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

Some sort of decoupler/adapter so it could be launched on a 1.25m booster would be useful, and that would open up opportunities for Contracts. I'm thinking of something similar to the 1960s tests of lifting bodies that NASA did. A suborbital flight and return to KSC, that sort of thing.

If it were that sort of test craft, it would be possible to add a radial docking port module and some sort of small OMS sub-system so it could be docked with an orbital station as a lifeboat. I find myself wondering if some of this stuff was around in early 2012, did KSP support docking back then?

I often replaced the engine at the tail with a small docking port. Next to the dockingport i stuck a RCS thruster at each side. When more thrust was required, i placed two small LFO radial engines at the sides and rotated them 90 degrees,

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 4:03 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, she lives, and yes i did have to sort out some oddness with CoM CoLs and CoPs. Although I've made many one part ships, they don't work very well anymore, so i stuck with the as intended multi part,  i could never have trimmed it so nicely otherwise .

All sorted now, made it's first descent this morning, fully updated with integral RCS ports in the nose, a decent level of ablator, maybe too much as i managed  first time, a faultless ish, manual descent to ksc , it got a bit warm but nothing alarming. Toying with making an Iva for it but for now the shuttles cockpit works out, if not a bit too luxurious,

Little picture to bring back warm memories

4pDUobM.png

Is there a url to download this? I love little craft. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.