How do you move a boat TO the water?

Hi,

I've seen some boats after 1.0.5 but every one I've found are ALREADY in the water when the footage begins (and none had wheels).

Then I got curious: how do you prefer do move your boats from the Launchpad (or the Runway) to the water? Edited by jlcarneiro

Since, as we know, orbit is halfway to anywhere, first you have to send it to orbit.

Then, you have a choice. Since you're in orbit, you're halfway to anywhere. There are oceans on Kerbin and on Laythe. Sure, you could reenter on Kerbin right away, but doesn't that strike you as a little silly? So you send up and dock an interplanetary tug.

Finally, after the transit, you do an aerocapture and then a hydrocapture at Laythe. Voila! You're on the ocean!

I know its on hold for now, but IIRC, KerbinSide adds some sea-side launch bases with docks, that might work... Hopefully AlphaAsh will add a new supplement for better launch sites for watercraft, especially some submarine pens... ;D

[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82785[/url]

I put wheels on them. If I don't want wheels on them, then I attach the wheels with various decouplers, but retractable landing gear can be sunk into the hull so that they are invisible when retracted and they add a really nice amphib option to your boat - never get beached!

Danny

I'm with the wheels method. Then also add wings or have them in the structure so you can go land sea or air if desired. Even space if designed well.

That is my next personal design. I'm going to make the ultimate exploration vehicle. And it will carry my little rover with it. Maybe I'll get some underwater driving done and see if there are minerals on the ocean floors.

Step #1) Take it to space, if it can't got to space on its own, stick it in a fairing on top of a rocket
Step #2) Refuel it if it can space, dock it/make sure it has a rocket attached with ~2,000 m/s dV
Step #3) plot a course for Laythe and fire engines
Step #4) reenter lathe's atmosphere, and if your boat has no wings, deploy parachutes

Or... Hyperedit.

If you're gonna hyperedit, you might as well play around on laythe, no?
Eve works too... (I really wish Duna had a few small lakes)

[quote name='ineon']1. Put it on wheels
2. Drive it into the water
3. Use the Kerbal Inventory System/Kerbal Attachment System mods to remove the wheels
4. Sail the 7 seas pillagin' an' lootin' to your hearts content[/QUOTE]

Incidentally, this is close to how real-life big ships are moved into the water. I always thought this game was missing an opportunity with a crawler/transporter for rockets, now here's your chance

[quote name='Jovus']Since, as we know, orbit is halfway to anywhere, first you have to send it to orbit.

Then, you have a choice. Since you're in orbit, you're halfway to anywhere. There are oceans on Kerbin and on Laythe. Sure, you could reenter on Kerbin right away, but doesn't that strike you as a little silly? So you send up and dock an interplanetary tug.

Finally, after the transit, you do an aerocapture and then a hydrocapture at Laythe. Voila! You're on the ocean![/QUOTE]

This post made my morning. B^)

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.