Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 21--Surely she wouldn't do THAT!

Mister Dilsby

19 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Cigars. Duh.

Actually, I think they're expendable fuel tanks.

Hey, cool! Check this out!

Just testing you!

On 2016-06-28 at 8:25 AM, Just Jim said:

OK, I spent three years in Germany in the army, and not once do I remember seeing Sauerkrautstrudel...  thankfully!!!   :D

Almost fell over myself laughing at the strudel list.... very good!

Are seriously stationed on CV-6?  I salute you! 

Obviously no! But I am a big fan of CV-6!

On 2016-06-27 at 10:10 AM, max_creative said:

Gene really should have told Kenlie and Lisa about it. Not Val. 

I think I can name the planets! 

Think that's all the planets? I just took guesses... Yay?

Just saying, in the Ninmus section, it says keen instead of Kerbin

Edited by Wildcat111

19 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Correct :) 

By the way, this thread has now passed Eve: Order Zero to become the second-most-viewed thread in all of Mission Reports! It's also the most-replied thread, by a sizable margin. (Mostly because I've written a few hundred pages and we're STILL not at Jool, but anyways...) Woo hoo! Thanks everybody for those clicks and eyeballs!

Well, that would also explain why we're going to need to make a rep 10k group. :wink: 

18 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

This just in, ladies and gentlemen: Space is still an ocean.

Yes, it is. And in keeping with that trope, I rotated the ship towards the Jool system and "right-side-up" in order to take the picture.

But come to think of it... do I really want to follow that trope? I could also play with it, subvert it or advert it! So many options!

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:08 AM, Kuzzter said:

Yes, it is. And in keeping with that trope, I rotated the ship towards the Jool system and "right-side-up" in order to take the picture.

But come to think of it... do I really want to follow that trope? I could also play with it, subvert it or advert it! So many options!

Why not all of the above?

Edited by AkuAerospace
Removed "sign off"

2 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Remember the Delta-V equation- the more fuel for x amount of mass, the more delta-V you have.

And the Fleet was in a hurry. Using a 'properly' sized rocket would have taken a couple more years, at least. 

As it turns out though it was indeed a little big--about three thousand dV to spare. But why take chances when lives are at stake? Hohmann, schmomann--just kick down the door!

6 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Hohmann, schmomann--just kick down the door!

Hohmann transfer to a planet this far away? Throw that out of the window!

It can be done much faster at a minor extra cost (and even more faster if you have much more Dv)
Especially with all the pleasantly provided options of Oberth effect and lunar slingshots to deal with some extra velocity at capture

tnPJU8T.png

qWsuIpc.png

11Zd4hE.png

R0OESDK.png

Just to confirm, Sarge did get a promotion off-camera. I was going to do a whole thing where Val says he's been doing such a good job with the probes she's going to give him a field promotion, he freaks out because he thinks it'll be a commission to Looty and he doesn't want to be an officer, then everyone's happy because it's just a more senior NCO grade. But I decided that would all take too long, so here we are! Rocketry Sarjint is of course the Kerbfleet equivalent to a USMC Gunnery Sergeant. (No word on whether they'll start calling him 'Rocky'. I sure wouldn't!)  

And no, I am not adding it to the rank table in the Canon file, 'cause then I'd have to make up all the other NCO ranks which I am not going to do right now! :) 

And yes, the first scansat is away to Tylo! We have an intercept for polar orbit with reasonable dV to circularize. I'll probably launch the rest once Intrepid is safely in Jool orbit, or as the ship bears on the individual moons. Note that we are carrying only four scansats for five moons, but as we don't expect to do any mining on Laythe this should not be a problem--also, the ship itself carries an M700 scanner forward of the bridge pod.

Next up, we should see Intrepid's Tylo flyby and capture to the Jool system--followed by a decision of where to bring the ship for refueling!

Edited by Kuzzter
fixed Tedus rank (Kaptin)

Rocketeer -> Corporal -> Rocketry Corporal -> Sergeant -> Rocketry Sergeant -> Warrant Officer -> Chief Warrant Officer -> Master Warrant Officer, maybe?

I'd translate to Kerbfleet spelling, but those make my brain hurt at the best of times. :P

4 hours ago, max_creative said:

Bop or Pol for refueling! 

Well I sure ain't landing Intrepid on Tylo! We'll see how things look after Jool capture, but I'm leaning towards the further one so I can work outside-in. 

3 hours ago, spacebrick3 said:

At least Jeb will be ready for anything - he probably won't sleep for waiting.

And he'll have a long time to wait, in the Skimmeroo, if we do work outside-inwards!

2 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Ah, haven't been on the forum for a while, looks like I missed quite a bit! Almost at Jool!

Hey, great to have you back Blue! :)

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

I think @Kuzzter just found the only programming language that's banned om the forum. :wink:

Oh, I'm sure there are others...and if Kerbfleet probes take on the personality of their programmers, as we've seen, can you imagine if one fell into Kerbulan hands? :shudder: