ARGHHHHH

kiwi1960

No one is to blame for my M.S. and related double vision which makes this site yukky to use.

So rather than be in a continuous melt down mode over this......... ugly?.... no, irritating forum script, I'll shut up, suffer with the sore eyes and headaches and just hope the moderators decide to add a really nice theme for old farts like me...

In the meantime, I'll just make the most of this... if i move to a bigger type, or use bold, then its because my eyes are getting sore.

In the meantime.... I'll be a player and stay happy...

So.... I'll say it.

The forums are back... Yayyyy.... and it looks so nice....

maybe after a week, I'll even start believing it. :)

BBCode being removed was probably the last thing that I'd think this forum change would implement. Just.. why? What's the point? 

So many threads look ugly as hell now.

Edited by Columbia

If you have trouble reading the font of the default forum theme because it's too small, every major browser has an option to increase the font size an arbitrary amount. For example, in Firefox, if you hit the Open Menu button (the three bars on the right top, by default) then in the popup there will be a plus (+) sign. This should increase the font size. Or, if you're comfortable with keyboard shortcuts, CTRL++ also works. (That's the CTRL key and the + key, not a typo.)

I don't know how to increase font in other browsers because I don't use them, but I'd bet the same keyboard shortcut works.

There still does need to be a way for users to manually set various forum appearance parameters, but this might work for you as a workaround until that functionality is added.

It is indeed ugly, but hopefully with time will be improved and tweaked. one thing that I think is getting me is the light grey in alot of places is too close to the white, but off just enough to notice it so there's an extra strain.

oh and welcome back Kiwi. I was hoping that this hideous debacle would not drive anyone away from this community forever. :)

Edited by r4pt0r

16 hours ago, razark said:

But but but...

It's changed!  Change is bad!  Things we don't understand frighten us!  Just look at how we react every time a new update is released.

I'm not thrilled.  A lot of that will probably fade over time, though, as I get used to it and gain more familiarity with the new stuff.  The loss of subscription lists is probably what irks me the most.

Sorry I couldnt resist:

c705dd94c92bc042717d2e19095694f5e3b5899f

17 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Sheesh people, there's nothing nefarious going on about spending money on a new software license for the forum. VB4 is aging, non-secure and support for it is dwindling. VB5 was not workable for a variety of reasons (just have a quick google for vBulletin 5 issues, they have a lot of unhappy customers). IPS4 is a newer platform with better support and core features, and has a fair sized community developing add-on plugins for it.

I agree there's been some feature loss, give it some time and most if not all of it will be restored, and we already have some new features we didn't have before. Have a little patience and give yourself some time to get used to the new layout.

Is there any extensibility here? Can we get support back for codes like the quotation and quote codes so that old posts don't look so wretched? One thing we take people to task for around here is not searching the threads for answers to questions that have been asked 69,105 times already. Now there's one more reason why not to search.

@kiwi1960 In addition to not 'taking it out on anyone' you especially shouldn't accuse them of being childish in a post sounds.... well you get it.

Edited by Starwaster

Can i write anything bad about squad or the new forum or i get banned and warned again? (i guess the new forum has one meaning: better ways to censuring the content)

And my eyes burn like hell.

Im on of the oldest member of this comm,im on the deck about 4 years ago (yes befor the great forum collapse),but i leave this place if you stay whit this white crap.

And i dont want to alter my monitor settings just for this crap.

yupp and Xenforo is the future not IPB / IPS.

https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search

just look at the Commercial Forum Software Migrations chart.

Edited by anarkhon

7 minutes ago, anarkhon said:

Can i write anything bad about squad or the new forum or i get banned and warned again? (i guess the new forum has one meaning: better ways to censuring the content)

You can write bad things about SQUAD. However, your expression of those bad things cannot include expletives. If you believe your infraction was unjust, take it up with the moderator

7 minutes ago, anarkhon said:

Im on of the oldest member of this comm,im on the deck about 4 years ago (yes befor the great forum collapse),but i leave this place if you stay whit this white crap.

Just because you're one of the oldest members of the forum doesn't mean you deserve any more respect. Not to mention, in those four years you've made a grand total of about 200 posts, and amassed about 40 rep in total. In other words, you were getting rep twice a year. I find it hard to believe that you were an active member of the community.

Edited by Hobbes Novakoff

10 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Here it is:
35YcdnO.png

And I don't think so.

Ah, I see now, that does not appear on a tablet browser (safari). So next question: is there any way to force desktop mode?

13 hours ago, DuoDex said:

Gosh darn mobile editor.

THAT you can say again! £#{%^+¥€+}%€¥£!!!! 

9 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

for me, its not that.... its all that white.... the old forums had a sort of off white... it wasn't nearly as bad for me to use.

I can relate to that... it's not so much the font, it's the stark white background. It is very stressful on the eyes (these old eyes anyway).

:l

I'll just express my opinion: The color scheme for this forum is rather ill though out (I'm sure the moderators are working to fix it), and xenforo, in my own experience, is a far superior platform. It has almost all of the features of our old forum, greater flexibility, better layout, and generally easier maintenance. (Again, this is only my personal experience. I'd like to hear of other experiences too.)

However, these bugs are not uncommon for new forums, and if this platform turns out to be unworkable for whatever reason, they can just move to the new platform in the future. Can we all just relax and appreciate the fact that the forums haven't died like the countless other ones that refused to use supported platforms?

You may want to check out f.lux.  It will let you tint your monitor for daylight and night with an off-white that's selectable/customizable.

I prefer black backgrounds for my coding and I haven't seen a pure white background for years.

18 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Overlapping threads merged. 

I was going to complain.... but then, what's the point. Just a pity that you took the right title (sorry) but the first posts showing the complaining... its only later that people would read how I am sorry...

but minor point really. End of the day, I'm glad you guys don't do this every other week. Maybe it would have been better to involved the community in the decision making process in some small way so everyone wasn't blind sided, maybe warning them of what could happen and be prepared for it.

I dispute the claim the threads were 'overlapping'...  one was a complaint, the other an apology. Its kind of like you belittling what I was saying? Its a sad day when people in power don;t care about what is said any more. :(

What the hell... words not showing up till you run the mouse (with left click) long it... who is screwing up thr forums, you're making a bad problem worse.... :(

and words barely being made out because they are white.... what the hell?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.