The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

Just Jim can you please put out one tomorrow? :D

And I just got off... Didn't go so well...

test 1: spontaneous combusted.

test 2: blew up in mid air.

test 3: couldn't take off on its own and crashed into the ocean.

test 4: blew up after the stress test (barrel rolls)

so... Not the best.

no images sorry (first because this was on a mobile device second I don't know how to take screenshots third I don't know how to post them)

Name by the way is diamond back II

On 16/03/2016 at 1:41 AM, Jeb! said:

This is a SSTO I made inspired by the Diamondback. I made it smaller to make it easier [sic] [lol] to control and not crash my PC.

http://imgur.com/FKBrOgc

http://imgur.com/CsvB6uU

http://imgur.com/2TFvoZm

Phooey, pictures still don't work for me... never mind.

Sorry only links...

Still, yours flys a lot better than mine. It has a ton of unnecessary stuff, like rtgs and klaws. And it flys like a rock... Maybe tomorrow I will start work on the diamond back III :D:D:D

This is a SSTO I made inspired by the Diamondback. I made it smaller to make it easier [sic] [lol] to control and not crash my PC.

Sorry only links...

Edited by Jeb!
because of Imgur

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

I wonder if we ask nicely, if JJ would perhaps post the craft file so we could all send it off to Eucl3D.......

Oh, cool idea director of shanghaiing operations. Also then once I figure out craft files I can take apart and ste- ahem, borrow so ideas from it.

Edited by max_creative
Spell check REALLY hates me.

11 hours ago, max_creative said:

Yeah. Before that I was just looking around on the forums. Then I just replied to a ton of my favorite users and threads... And after one day of replys and stuff I'm a rocketry enthusiast.

Oh yeah, it's easy to catch the KSP bug

10 hours ago, Jeb! said:

Sorry only links...

OK, ditch the thuds, and swap out two of the rapiers for whiplash turbojets and try again.  I don't think you're too far off with this.

Also, for the record, it took me forever to get the diamondback right.  I started it in 1.0.4, gave up on it, then came back to it in 1.0.5 when I had a little more SSTO experience under my belt.

9 hours ago, max_creative said:

And I just got off... Didn't go so well...

test 1: spontaneous combusted.

test 2: blew up in mid air.

test 3: couldn't take off on its own and crashed into the ocean.

test 4: blew up after the stress test (barrel rolls)

so... Not the best.

no images sorry (first because this was on a mobile device second I don't know how to take screenshots third I don't know how to post them)

Name by the way is diamond back II

Again, be patient.... it took me dozens of hours of tweaking to get the Diamondback to fly right.  SSTO's require a lot of patience.  I still haven't gotten a mk-3 version in orbit.

8 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I wonder if we ask nicely, if JJ would perhaps post the craft file so we could all send it off to Eucl3D.......

I'm not sure how to share them..... and I don't want to sound like a jerk about it, but wouldn't it be better if they learned to build and fly one on their own first? 
I'm more than willing to help anyone with theirs when I have time.

10 hours ago, max_creative said:

Just Jim can you please put out one tomorrow? :D

I'm going to try and get it done today if possible.   
You have to understand, I'm 53 and on disability, with a back that resembles a pretzel, and sometimes reality gets in the way bad.  :wink:

Oh, and someone asked earlier where I am.
I'm in Florida, USA, so it's eastern standard here.

20 hours ago, max_creative said:

If he will use the gravioli to deorbit emiko station, emiko is a class E.  About 30 meters across. Gilly is a captured asteroid that is like, class V. And it's about 13 kilometers across... I hope mr. Evil brain pod doesn't use Gilly. that would be bad.:D

Emiko is an exceptionally large class-E...... over 3000t and I estimate it to be aprox. 100 m in diameter.

And to my knowledge, Gilly can't be moved from it's orbit, except maybe with mods.  Although that's a wonderfully evil idea!  :wink:

16 hours ago, max_creative said:

Also the kids are in big trouble... that's going to be interesting. Idea about brain pod dude, have Jeb the strutty eyed missile kerb shoot him with emp missiles 

Except...... in my Kerbal-verse, there are no weapons.  Kerbals are a peaceful race.  which creates quite a problem against ol' Thomp...

Also, an EMP wouldn't work 100% against Thompberry. 
It may fry his electronics, but his brain is still organic, and wouldn't be effected.  Another reason Brain-pods are so deadly...  :0.0:

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

OK, ditch the thuds, and swap out two of the rapiers for whiplash turbojets and try again.  I don't think you're too far off with this.

Actually, there's 4 whiplashes on mine. That's probably part of the problem! :P You're right on the Thuds. Thanks for the critique! I'll stop diverging from the thread topic now. :D

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

It may fry his electronics, but his brain is still organic, and wouldn't be effected.  Another reason Brain-pods are so deadly...  :0.0:

Throw a big rock at him.

31 minutes ago, Jeb! said:

Ok, no hurry, we're just excited about the next chapter!

I understand...... and I'm glad your excited, tells me I'm doing my job right...  :wink:

But so you know, it may not be until tomorrow now, sorry. 
I came up with a deliciously evil twist this morning I hadn't considered, and I really think y'all will like.... or more accurately, hate me for it.....

bwaahahahahahaha      :mad:

23 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Throw a big rock at him.

wait..... Piper did that in chapter 23...  at least she took out a ship with a big rock....  :D

Edited by Just Jim

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I came up with a deliciously evil twist this morning I hadn't considered, and I really think y'all will like.... or more accurately, hate me for it.....

bwaahahahahahaha      :mad:

Uh oh... now I'm scared for Kerrena.  :D

28 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

wait..... Piper did that in chapter 23...  at least she took out a ship with a big rock....  :D

Well to quote John Candy in the movie "Splash!":

"Hey, if something works for me I stick with it!"

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Emiko is an exceptionally large class-E...... over 3000t and I estimate it to be aprox. 100 m in diameter.

And to my knowledge, Gilly can't be moved from it's orbit, except maybe with mods.  Although that's a wonderfully evil idea!  :wink:

Except...... in my Kerbal-verse, there are no weapons.  Kerbals are a peaceful race.  which creates quite a problem against ol' Thomp...

Actually I saw a video from my friend and he deorbited Gilly with whack a kerbal by changing the max then setting all the settings to max, then shot at it for about 4 hours... I know :0.0:

Or... You could sacrifice the chariot and Thompberry to the kraken... Also known as throw them into to mohole! :wink:

Spoiler

Nothing to spoil. If anyone can please delete this.

Also it seems like some of you guys never sleep! It's 8:30 here!

1 hour ago, max_creative said:

Also it seems like some of you guys never sleep! It's 8:30 here!

1:00pm here, I'm in Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) too like Just Jim. A lot of people are in different time zones so it seems like there's constant talking! :)

Edited by Jeb!

OK, onto another off-topic... but not.... conversation.  something to keep y'all busy until I get the next part finished.

Concerning the Diamondback.  I've thought about it, and I have to draw a line and say no, I'm not going to give up the craft file.  At least not yet.  Maybe later.  But for now she's too important to my story.

But I will share some shots of how she's built, in the hopes it will answer some of your questions.

yfaMzQU.jpg

6UATslS.jpg

MSMSggW.jpg

She has 164 parts, and weighs in at 104.2t at takeoff.   Something I've read is people's SSTO's overheating.  The Diamondback has a combination of 17 large and small radiator panels spread out across her belly, and two more on the topside, to help dissipate this heat.  Most important, there is a large and small one on the cockpit.  These are critical, or I guarantee the cockpit will overheat and blow apart before you get into orbit.

The radiators also hide numerous struts and gas lines also across the belly.  Struts are self-explanatory, gas lines are to insure the engines get every last drop available. 

She has 4 rapiers and 4 whiplash engines, and 10 total air intakes: 8 shock cones and 2 ramp.  Note: 4 of the shock cones are attached to the end of the rapiers... and yes, this works.  Also 8 airbrakes,: 4 on top and 4 o the bottom.  Everything is action keyed.

Flying her is fairly simple.  You don't need to fly her off the runway, she will lift off at approx. 145-150 m/s, and at a 25 degree ascent, will pretty much fly herself.  The trick is to set the ascent to where you are just accelerating a little, not much more than 1/10th a m/s or so a second.  Just enough to not start decelerating, until she hits the upper atmosphere.  Once she's above 15,000m or so, you can flatten her out and really punch it. Ignore the "phoenix" flames, they're what's supposed to happen.  I try for a speed of 1200m/s at 20,000m or so.  When the air runs out, shut down the whiplash engines, close all intakes and switch the rapiers to rocket, then climb enough to circularize the orbit. 

If everything went according to plan, you should have more than enough fuel to de-orbit and land, or rendezvous with a station or re-fueler in orbit.

MMgMtxa.jpg

Y4qE1KV.jpg

xwARebS.jpg

c2pdxSA.jpg

Landing is a bit trickier.  You need to deploy all the airbrakes and set an angle of attack steep enough to slow down, but now so steep the heat gets past the radiators.  It's a little scary, and took me a couple times to get the hang of it.

9PxF4uW.jpg

82bZHR3.jpg

z9YZp8k.jpg

38LUdSp.jpg

YtcqasS.jpg

The hardest part was tweaking everything so she flies stable.  It took a lot of little adjustments here and there just to get her to lift off and not spin out on the runway.  No easy way to explain how I did it... it was all trial and error... and a lot of exploding... until I hit on an SSTO sweet-spot, so to speak.

I hope this helps.

That's super cool! For mine to takeoff on its own I need to add 6 hammer SRBs and then it's not an ssto :( and it's ridiculously unstable, it's super hard to turn, it blows after time warp, it blows up after hard turns, and is hard to fly. But at least it explodes a lot :D today I plan to make a different ssto that is smaller and hopefully better.

Yeah don't rush it... But if you can get it done today without rushing PLEASE DO IT!!! :D

On 16/03/2016 at 8:24 PM, Kerbal kerman said:

welcome to the forums Kerbal kerman! There are cool craft in the space craft exchange, all kinds of stuff in general KSP, and ksp fan works and mission reports (this) check stuff out and try not to necrothread! :wink:

Got pictures to work now. Imgur is such a pain. :rolleyes:

This is an SSTO inspired by the Diamondback. Same bicoupler use but much smaller and different intakes. It still needs to have engines changed though... Noobs feel free to copy any design stuff you like... even though its not that great!

KNqZPzX.png?1

Edited by Jeb!

On 16/03/2016 at 9:13 PM, Jeb! said:

Got pictures to work now. Imgur is such a pain. :rolleyes:

This is an SSTO inspired by the Diamondback. Same bicoupler use but much smaller and different intakes. It still needs to have engines changed though... Noobs feel free to copy any design stuff you like... even though its not that great!

KNqZPzX.png?1

Can it fly? If so your diamond back inspired ssto is already better than mine :wink:

Wait a second... ITS NOT AN SSTO!!! I see the remains of TT-38K Radial Decouplers on the outboard air intake pods! On the FL-T800 Fuel Tanks! :confused:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.