The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

41 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

suggestion: space program from a rival nation steps in to save the day!

My guess is that he doesn't want suggestions. :) He already knows exactly what's going to happen... 

3 minutes ago, Jeb! said:

My guess is that he doesn't want suggestions. :) He already knows exactly what's going to happen... 

Yep. This is his story.

18 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

Wooo! I only see the reference now! Great chapter once again, if only these fan-fics came out faster... my life would be perfect:sticktongue:

Well, if my new computer gets here today and nothing goes to terribly screwy, I'll be able to do these chapters a lot faster from now on.  As it is now, I can sometimes spend half a day just setting up a couple screenshots.

15 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I CALLED IT! VERY MUCH KNEW Harfield would be the one. That's the power of romance predictabiliy and...
*Determination.

15 hours ago, GDJ said:

Well done. Did not expect Harfield to be the one on Eve......

Yeah, in Thompberry's head... or what's left of it... hehehe... Harfield has to go!!!   The other obvious choice was Piper, but right now Thompberry needs her to be a good minion and investigate the monoliths.... then maybe he'll deal with her.  :0.0:

14 hours ago, Plecy75 said:

suggestion: space program from a rival nation steps in to save the day!

14 hours ago, Jeb! said:

14 hours ago, GDJ said:

Yep. This is his story.

Well, I don't mind them, if they're not too silly.  A couple have been really good ideas and I did work them into the story.  But both Jeb and GDJ are right, I have the major storyline already written out.  And unfortunately it doesn't involve a rival nation.

My bigger pet peeve is when I goof.  While I would like to know if I do, please send me a pm and don't point out publically how stupid either I or spellcheck can be, please...   Well, unless it's really comical.  I have to admit, that one a couple pages back where I wrote raptor lunch instead of launch gave me a good laugh. 
I'll take my raptor medium rare please.... :D

14 hours ago, Jeb! said:

I know what's going to happen... But I can't tell anyone, or Just Jim might find out before me! :D

And if I do find out, I'll rewrite it... lol....  :sticktongue:

Edited by Just Jim

Oh my......  new computer is here, and I'm completely losing my mind!!!  :cool:

I set up a quick sandbox to test it out, and KSP is playing in real time!!!  The graphics are turned up on high, and my timer thingie in the corner is still green!!! It's NEVER been green before!

The speed is insane, and I think my only big issue the next few days will be learning to fly all over again!!!  

I still need to transfer over all the Emiko game files, but so far this is amazing!!!

14 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I set up a quick sandbox to test it out, and KSP is playing in real time!!!  The graphics are turned up on high, and my timer thingie in the corner is still green!!! It's NEVER been green before!

The speed is insane, and I think my only big issue the next few days will be learning to fly all over again!!!  

I still need to transfer over all the Emiko game files, but so far this is amazing!!!

*silently cries for my computer

That seems awesome!!!

Yeah, I recently got myself new PC, too. Totally agree: it's all great to have it run smoothly and not spend half an hour for a launch... until you have to accurately pilot something you're used to handle at 6 fps, but now the framerate's suddenly green.

29 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Stats, please :)

So you can help him find it? Why certainly.

Do not ask how I know the stats for Just Jim's mind.

@Just Jim's Mind:

Color: Weird greyish-pinkish-brownish

Size: Very large in proportion to his body, compared to other mammals

Mass: About 1.4 kg

Contents: Story

Cells: Entirely too many to count

Hope that helps!

34 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Stats, please :)

It's a Dell XPS 8700 with an Intel i7-4790 processor and 8 gigs of RAM, expandable to 32 gigs.  Andit has a nVidia GeForce GT 720 with 1 gig RAM of it's own

So far I'm getting staggering frame rates compared to my old one.  A big chariot launch was 25 fps, roving on Duna hit 37 fps, and flying around in the Emiko Raptor was around 44 fps!!!  Even Emiko Station with the lights on held fast at 25 fps.  And this is with the graphics turned way up.  I couldn't be happier!!!!   :D

1 hour ago, RocketSquid said:

Hope that helps!

it's a start.  However, as Thomberry can tell you, brains must be forced through strainers of decreasing grid size until they can be spread out only 1 cell thick on microscope slides.  Then these slides have to be bombarded by various radiations and subjected to diverse chemical reactions with acids, bases, and oxidizers, all while under intense scrutiny.  Only after this can you then pour the resulting sludge into a Yuggoth brain-can or (back in the Bad Old Days) the reassembled skull of a Travelling Circus astronaut following his routine debriefing-dissection.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

It's a Dell XPS 8700 with an Intel i7-4790 processor and 8 gigs of RAM, expandable to 32 gigs.  And it has a nVidia GeForce GT 720 with 1 gig RAM of it's own

So far I'm getting staggering frame rates compared to my old one.  A big chariot launch was 25 fps, roving on Duna hit 37 fps, and flying around in the Emiko Raptor was around 44 fps!!!  Even Emiko Station with the lights on held fast at 25 fps.  And this is with the graphics turned way up.  I couldn't be happier!!!!   :D

This is the sort of stats I was asking for,.  Sounds nice :)  Congrats!

Edited by Geschosskopf

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

It's a Dell XPS 8700 with an Intel i7-4790 processor and 8 gigs of RAM, expandable to 32 gigs.  Andit has a nVidia GeForce GT 720 with 1 gig RAM of it's own

I hate to tell you Jim, but you could have gotten a much better value if you had built it yourself. Not to mention that GPU is REALLY underpowered for that CPU. You could have built that rig for about $625 by yourself. If you downsized the CPU and used that money for a better GPU, you could have gotten a really nice system. For example, if you drop to an i5-4690, which is literally just an i7-4790 without the hyperthreading, you could upgrade your GPU to a GTX 950, which is more than 10x as powerful as a GT 720, and that's based off the $625 figure

Edited by Plecy75

9 hours ago, Plecy75 said:

I hate to tell you Jim, but you could have gotten a much better value if you had built it yourself. Not to mention that GPU is REALLY underpowered for that CPU. You could have built that rig for about $625 by yourself. If you downsized the CPU and used that money for a better GPU, you could have gotten a really nice system. For example, if you drop to an i5-4690, which is literally just an i7-4790 without the hyperthreading, you could upgrade your GPU to a GTX 950, which is more than 10x as powerful as a GT 720, and that's based off the $625 figure

Except KSP is pretty much all CPU. I play it on a laptop with integrated graphics, and I average 0 graphics problems/eternity.

13 hours ago, Plecy75 said:

I'm happy with what I have.

Edited by Just Jim

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I'm happy with what I have.

I used to build my own PCs. But my last gaming PC? I went to Fry's and grabbed a bog-standard "almost top of the line" box. No fuss, not much hassle. Yes, it was a bit more expensive than if I'd sourced the silicon, germanium, gold, aluminum, and whatever else and run the chip fab myself, but I didn't have to futz around and tweak with it for hours on end. I'm happy with it, and in the end if you are too that's all that matters. 

Yikes!  Cap'n Kuzzter, the twins, and the desperate crew of the Intrepid...um....intrepid crew of the Desperado that is....returning to Kerbin with only 20% fuel....and nothing to do but play Checks?? 

Umm...what's Checks...?  Thompberry showing his true colors after looking charmed by the twins.....that's a despicable thing to do to Hanfield!  He needs to get his comeuppance.  Or in KSP would it be

comedownance?  Comeoutance maybe....?  Whatever,  great to hear about the new arrival!

14 hours ago, Plecy75 said:

Creating a ton of headaches and hours of tinkering for a measly $200? When I was fresh out of college I wouldn't hesitate, but I'm now in a phase where I can happily afford to not worry about that, and spend my time playing KSP, instead of putting a menagerie of electronics together into a working PC (been there, done that) with the ever chance of annoyance that graphics driver x does not play well with sound driver y and both thoroughly hate the driver of your CD-ROM player (yeah, I'm that old school).

Bias disclosure: I have exactly the same box as @Just Jim (and like him I'm very happy with it). Yes, the GPU might be under powered. But you can always replace that later (haven't had the need for it) and as others have pointed out, KSP is not GPU intensive (yet?). For me it's just a delight to run KSP on a computer that is not breaking a sweat from it, as opposed to my laptop (and the previous one that I still suspect got fried by it).

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I used to build my own PCs. But my last gaming PC? I went to Fry's and grabbed a bog-standard "almost top of the line" box. No fuss, not much hassle. Yes, it was a bit more expensive than if I'd sourced the silicon, germanium, gold, aluminum, and whatever else and run the chip fab myself, but I didn't have to futz around and tweak with it for hours on end. I'm happy with it, and in the end if you are too that's all that matters. 

Stuff from Fry's is refurbs and store returns sold as new at prices that are too high even for new stuff

21 hours ago, Just Jim said:

So that is what the flickering between red and yellow of the clock means! Lucky you: I get red during launch of 50 part vechicles, with all graphics and everything on the lowest settings! ;.;

19 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

So that is what the flickering between red and yellow of the clock means! Lucky you: I get red during launch of 50 part vechicles, with all graphics and everything on the lowest settings! ;.;

If you want I'll build you a new pc

2 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

I think I have an i7... So something in my laptop is actually good? That's crazy!

It doesn't seem too useful on the surface, but I guess i7 is good enough for me to record KSP with little framerate issues. So I like it.

i7 cpus are really nice for ksp. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.