The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

3 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

What do you not like about KSPRC? Its amazing!

What it does to the terrain looks nice, but it makes those changes in a way I don't approve of.  Like it says there in the OP, it makes permanent changes to various game files so there's no going back after using it.  That alone is enough reason never to touch it.  If you just want prettier planets, use KASE, which achieves similar results via harmless Kopernicus.  Now, it could be that KSPRC has changed to using Kopernicus itself but if so, I haven't heard.  In addition, KSPRC itself comes with a bunch of other stuff mixed and matched from other mods.  I'm not a huge fan of some of the choices included in that mix.  But this is more a matter of taste.  It's the planet surface rework that scares me away.

There's also some issue (I forget exactly what) with the SVE that @Gman_builder mentions.  IIRC, it's incompatible with some other thing I like to use.  Be sure to read the warning label.  It does look nice, though.

3 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

What do you not like about KSPRC? Its amazing!

What it does to the terrain looks nice, but it makes those changes in a way I don't approve of.  Like it says there in the OP, it makes permanent changes to various game files so there's no going back after using it.  That alone is enough reason never to touch it.  If you just want prettier planets, use KASE, which achieves similar results via harmless Kopernicus.  Now, it could be that KSPRC has changed to using Kopernicus itself but if so, I haven't heard.  In addition, KSPRC itself comes with a bunch of other stuff mixed and matched from other mods.  I'm not a huge fan of some of the choices included in that mix.  But this is more a matter of taste.  It's the planet surface rework that scares me away.

There's also some issue (I forget exactly what) with the SVE that @Gman_builder mentions.  IIRC, it's incompatible with some other thing I like to use.  Be sure to read the warning label.  It does look nice, though.

@GeschosskopfI've installed and uninstalled the Renaissance Compilation multiple times on multiple different PCs with no problem. I don't know where your getting that info about never being able to go back but it seems fine to me. Honestly theres no reason to ever go back anyway unless you want buttery smooth gameplay. But that skind of the sacrifice, a little bit choppier gameplay for scenery that looks 100 times better. 

1 hour ago, Draconiator said:

I was thinking of continuing my story, but I sorta lost interest in it once I saw that people probably weren't that into it....eh

Perhaps, but between you and me, I don't really do it for the readers... (shhhhhh, don't tell them.... lol) 
I write because it's fun to write about these little green folk...  

9 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I've been playing around with KSPRC and EVE all day, and after careful consideration, I have to say I'm with @Geschosskopf on this one.

EVE is OK, and I'm still on the fence about it, but with respect to the mod-maker, I really didn't like what KSPRC did to my terrain.  In fact I kind of hated it. Then when I looked closely, I realized it's just a hodge-podge mix of other peoples mods, which definitely turns me off.  If I'm going to add a bunch of mods, I'd rather choose which ones myself, not use someone else's mix. 

Plus my framerate dropped a lot with KSPRC, which is totally unacceptable.  I just got a computer that plays the game with the timer thingie in the green almost all the time.  Prettier or not, I'm not going back to a stuttering framerate now, especially when I'm planning some seriously high part count ships in the near future.

Lastly, @Geschosskopfis totally right about KSPRC overwriting game files.  The disclaimer is right in the opening post:

DISCLAIMER:

THIS MOD CAN OVERWRITE TEXTURES AND CONFIG FILES FROM THE GAME AND SOME MODS!
I'm not responsible if you accidentally overwrite any of your previous stock or personalized files or configs!!

For the best and most secure installation, put this pack on a clean installation of KSP. If you can't or you don't want to do it, please, do a backup of all your personalized data before use this.
This pack is intended only for entertaiment, has nothing to do with Squad and I don't respond for derivated problems.

So to be on the safe side, I just got done uninstalling my game, and doing a clean re-install.  My Emiko backup saves are stashed away in a completely different folder, so it's easy enough to get that all back.  I still need to decide about EVE, but KSPRC is definitely out of the question.

On 6/13/2016 at 1:59 PM, Alchemist said:

Self-absorbed overambitious power-hungry unsociable... inventor. An inventor who invented his own kind of world order and tried to make it so. Something than may happen to a genius who is praised for his mind, but never really treated like a real person, all whose attempts (maybe clumsy to the point of being creepy, but how would they improve if there's 100% failure with no explanation, and lack of successful first-hand experience in the matter combined with slightly different thought pattern makes it completely impossible to spot and recognize the subtle differences between successful and failed examples?) at building personal relationships have been laughed of.

Insensitive to others' feelings? Yes. Definitely connected to utter lack of mutual understanding. Maybe because of different priorities and value system making it impossible to fully evaluate others' feelings and motivations. Maybe actually not minding hurting others to the extend they (maybe even without realizing that themselves) hurt him.

Willing to step over others to get his world view fulfilled? Yes. But similar and in response to the way the others aggressively protect what they consider the right world order.

Deliberately cruel and enjoying that? No. He wasn't like this before. Enjoying petty cruelty is too much waste of time when you can create something great.
Destroy, step over and rebuild from scratch? yes, gladly, for the great goal. Revenge? Best revenge is to prove your idea was better! Torture? Pointless, just remove the obstacle whatever way most efficient and proceed with the plan.

And all it took was a little compassion and attempt to truly establish mutual understanding (without hiding behind curtains of poorly defined convenience and not always identically working social instincts) from somebody else - meaning he always wanted to establish a proper connection with somebody.

Maybe if Jandolin had ever really talked to him about his feelings not just shunned him like some creep, maybe then there would be at least none of that kidnapping plan.

This all goes to show you ....when the unpopular classmate at the institute developes a nuclear bug zapper...don't ridicule her.  Because she WILL show you.  She'll show you all.  And you'll live to rue the day you ever heard the name....umm...well anyway, it's a bad idea.  So don't do it.  Really, I mean it.

On 6/13/2016 at 5:36 AM, Just Jim said:

I haven't made up my mind about her being blind yet....  :wink:

Maybe she's blind the same way Daredevil is blind.?  :)  But you may have reached your OWN decision on this by now.anyway....I,m more than a bit behind.

I love the first part of Emiko's story!  So Werner Von Kerman was a young Daredevil back in the day......I wonder how they ever got him out from behind the stick?   I'm sure there's a story in THAT...:)

Daredevil....Stick.....I cannot believe I said that completely without thinking about it after mentioning Daredevil in the first line.....yikes!   lol!

....and of course Emiko's father is Yamane....of COURSE he is!  Who else could he be...?  :D  And Sarrus capturing Eeloo and it being Emiko's first big discovery was a brilliant bit of story-telling!

I only have one bad thing to report, but its not about your story .  I'm not sure if it's a bug in version 1.1.3, or if something's giving out on my video chip.....but I seem to be having problems with my picture.  II looks washed out somehow, as if I was looking at it on an old black and white tel...

Oh.

:<blush/grin>

Edited by Crystal_Mace
added line three during checking for errors.

I thought it was going to not just whisk her away.....but maybe have her reappearing on eve...and much older...

So great to see KSP parts for something other than rockets and planetary bases!  Myself, I tend not to think of that,

17 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Any clue when the next chapter's comin' out?

I'm aiming for tomorrow afternoon.  Got most of the screenshots done, but real life is getting in my way.

Here's a little teaser until then...

tXp1ZjK.png

On ‎1‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:47 AM, Just Jim said:

I'm aiming for tomorrow afternoon.  Got most of the screenshots done, but real life is getting in my way.

Here's a little teaser until then...

tXp1ZjK.png

Well, that's problematic. Can't wait to see how that happened.

Edited by AkuAerospace
Removed "sign off"

Eh, with two large reaction wheels, I suspect the chariot can flip itself at will. I don't see any damage, and nobody looks particularly upset by this "turn" of events.

15 hours ago, Jarin said:

Eh, with two large reaction wheels, I suspect the chariot can flip itself at will.

59 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Even more so with the RCS assisting.

On the Mun?  Oh yeah!  The only thing is getting it airborne first.  If I hit a small hill or bump and got her off the ground high enough, I could easily do barrel roll or two.  The tricky part would be timing it so you land right side up.

OK, it's getting late, and I've got way too many screenshots.  So I'm going to split this next part into 2 chapters.  I'll write up 56 tomorrow morning, then 57 either Sunday or Monday.

G'nite all  :D

1 hour ago, 322997am said:

It's an airelon roll.

aileron*

And like I said before, in this case it's a reaction-wheels-and-RCS-roll as the chariot doesn't have ailerons or even wings, which don't work without an atmosphere anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.