The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

13 minutes ago, KerbalOmmex said:

What's that blackish triangle there? I havent seen it in the Mk2 Cabin.

That would be a minor picture glitch on my part.  I was starting to drift thru the back wall a little.

Getting the inside shots like this can be a little tricky, and sometimes the walls can get chopped, like the triangle here. 
I try very hard to only use pictures that don't get chopped, at least too badly, but this one slipped past me.  No biggie.

Wow... I went out for a bit, and came home to find Emiko Station has now gone over 100,000 views!!!

And on the 4th of July, no less.

Incredible!  Who would have thought it'd come so far?

I am having so much fun, and y'all are the best audience ever!   :D   

Edited by Just Jim

20 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... I went out for a bit, and came home to find Emiko Station has now gone over 100,000 views!!!

Congratulations! That's a heck of a lot of eyeballs. :) x10^5 to be exact!

Edited by Kuzzter

21 hours ago, Just Jim said:

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

Congratulations! That's a heck of a lot of eyeballs. :) x10^5 to be exact!

Well, probably 100 of those views are mine lol!

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:55 AM, Just Jim said:

"The monolith in the field, sir... I can see it from here... Sir... it's grown... it's... it's HUGE!"

1.1.3  :P lol

So I'm not the only one that saw that!

Spoiler

I'm wondering why exactly Squad bigified the monolith anyways? Was it too hard to find or something? :D

Edited by Jeb!

On 7/2/2016 at 4:31 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Extinguishing fires with water is all about the heat release rate (HRR) of the burning fuel vs. the amount of heat the water you're throwing at it can absorb before it wafts away as steam.  It's pretty much an all-or-nothing deal.  If you can flow enough gallons per minute, then the fire goes right out as fuel temperature drops below its ignition temperature.  If you flow less than that, then you just slow down the growth and development of the fire in proportion, but the fire won't go out until it starts to decay naturally from having consumed most of the available fuel.  As this happens, its HRR decreases until it drops below what your water can absorb, at which point it goes right out.  Any water added to the fire prior to it reaching that point just prolongs the inevitable.

A painful lesson learned by Kidō Butai on June 4, 1942.  IJN damage control improved markedly...by 1944.  Unfortunately, as in almost every measurable aspect for the IJN, far too far behind the curve to help in any meaningful way.  Shattered Sword goes into meticulous detail (a masterful history btw) about just how hopeless fire-fighting was on all 4 carriers.

Sorry I've been so far behind on things!  Catching up Jim.  Your quality has remained in force!

2 minutes ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

A painful lesson learned by Kidō Butai on June 4, 1942.  IJN damage control improved markedly...by 1944.  Unfortunately, as in almost every measurable aspect for the IJN, far too far behind the curve to help in any meaningful way.  Shattered Sword goes into meticulous detail (a masterful history btw) about just how hopeless fire-fighting was on all 4 carriers.

Sorry I've been so far behind on things!  Catching up Jim.  Your quality has remained in force!

I'm informed that nowadays, they jettison the entire plane if the wheels catch on fire. The magnesium will burn straight through the deck, and it won't stop 'till it gets to the seafloor.

7 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

The magnesium will burn straight through the deck, and it won't stop 'till it gets to the seafloor.

Magnesium if hot enough will actively react with water. Producing hydrogen. Pouring water on something that does this is much more stupid than on something that just floats up and continues to burn.

First rule of dealing with fire in a lab - know what's burning and what you can or can't use on it. Although this mostly boils down to cutting out oxygen supply. Unless the problem involves an oxidizer.

6 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Magnesium if hot enough will actively react with water. Producing hydrogen. Pouring water on something that does this is much more stupid than on something that just floats up and continues to burn.

First rule of dealing with fire in a lab - know what's burning and what you can or can't use on it. Although this mostly boils down to cutting out oxygen supply. Unless the problem involves an oxidizer.

Hehehe, these days, many cars have magnesium engine blocks, tranny housings, wheel rims, etc.  And the various other fuels in cars burn hot enough to ignite magnesium, so when we go to a car fire, we frequently have a magnesium fire under the hood.  But all we have to fight fires with is water (cut with foam).  Squirting a firehose into an engine compartment full of burning magnesium produces a beautiful spray of brilliant white fireballs and the sound of a string of firecrackers going off.  It's GLORIOUS!  Of course, you need to do this wearing full PPE and from a safe distance, and you also need to be in a place where the fireballs won't ignite anything outside the car.  We once turned a car fire into a 2-acre woods fire :)

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Squirting a firehose into an engine compartment full of burning magnesium produces a beautiful spray of brilliant white fireballs and the sound of a string of firecrackers going off.  It's GLORIOUS!

I'd make Kerbal Automotive Program, but it looks like Detroit beat me too it. 

14 hours ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

he usually posts on the weekends.  it takes a lot of time for him to set up the screen shots and write the story.

This has pretty much become the pattern lately, so I'm thinking this how I'll do it from now on. 

Once a week, most likely Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This has pretty much become the pattern lately, so I'm thinking this how I'll do it from now on. 

...however, my fellow Dear Readers, this is not our license to expect an update every Saturday, or any Saturday. He'll post when he posts--do not poke the author!

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

...however, my fellow Dear Readers, this is not our license to expect an update every Saturday, or any Saturday. He'll post when he posts--do not poke the author!

You're right, and thank you!

There is no reason to keep asking, and most everyone has been cool about it. 
I'll post the chapters when they're ready. 

Oh, and as for the fireman and fire discussions, while I would normally say we're getting a little off topic, I've gotten some good ideas from reading these, so I'm looking the other way for now  :wink:

I'm really glad I didn't post the next chapter yet. 
Sitting here thinking about it, I just realized something I had completely forgotten about from much earlier in the story that will put a whole different spin on how I write the next couple chapters.  :wink:

In the meantime, I got a lot more screenshots done today, and I thought I'd share a teaser with y'all:

xFxBoh5.png

5 hours ago, spacebrick3 said:

Ooh! Maybe Minmus is a Magic Boulder! It would explain a) why it's in a perfectly circular orbit, and b) why the material doesn't melt even though it's too warm for it not to!

*insert Brace Yourself, Conspiracy Theories Coming meme here*

22 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hehehe, these days, many cars have magnesium engine blocks, tranny housings, wheel rims, etc.  And the various other fuels in cars burn hot enough to ignite magnesium, so when we go to a car fire, we frequently have a magnesium fire under the hood.  But all we have to fight fires with is water (cut with foam).  Squirting a firehose into an engine compartment full of burning magnesium produces a beautiful spray of brilliant white fireballs and the sound of a string of firecrackers going off.  It's GLORIOUS!  Of course, you need to do this wearing full PPE and from a safe distance, and you also need to be in a place where the fireballs won't ignite anything outside the car.  We once turned a car fire into a 2-acre woods fire :)

Can't compete with that. My own personal 'best' was disposing of some sodium wire (used for drying solvents) in the lab. Standard procedure is (or used to be), destroy the sodium with ethanol (with which it doesn't react quite as vigorously as water), then once all the sodium is gone, flush down sink with plenty of water. That 'all the sodium is gone' part is quite important. Sodium + water + ethanol = fwumph.

The soot rosette on the lab ceiling was fairly impressive. Yes I was lucky and no, I never did it again.

21 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Of course I come back to Eve-ian sorcery, magic, and a healing helping of fresh magic Boulder. Jeez

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:55 AM, Just Jim said:

"Name is Magic Boulder, but not magic, Harfield.  Magic Boulder is... is..."

:wink:

2 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

One kerb's magic is another kerb's incredibly old persistence editing tool....

(Edit: Is this what happens if you feed a kPad after midnight? It turns into an evil Magic Pebble?)

OK, in the case of the Magic Boulders and floating rocks, I will share this tidbit.

There are two items in Star Trek TOS lore that inspired me as to how and why I would use the Magic Boulders and floating rocks:
The Guardian of Forever and the Doomsday Machine.

YU0O3D8.jpg

KUfE15Q.png

For those that haven't seen these episodes, in a nutshell the first is a time portal, the second a planet killer. 
In both cases the technology is quite alien, incredibly ancient, and far more advanced, perhaps even thousands of years, beyond our own. 
And in both cases, the objects themselves are very asymmetrical, and appear almost organic, or like natural occurring stone. 

I really like the idea that despite what they really are, they don't appear like a mechanical device at all... 

... and neither do my Magic Boulders...  :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.