The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

8 minutes ago, Draconiator said:

Question, how are you planning to ease the mod into the story?  I mean suddenly Eeloo's not a planet anymore...lol

You mean like when the Kuiper belt was installed and Pluto was suddenly not-

Hey, who are you!  What are you doin- AHH! HELP!!! The- *muffled shouting*

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

1 hour ago, Draconiator said:

Question, how are you planning to ease the mod into the story?  I mean suddenly Eeloo's not a planet anymore...lol

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

You mean like when the Kuiper belt was installed and Pluto was suddenly not-

Back when I was a kid we had 9 planets... lol...  :sticktongue:

No, I've come up with something I think y'all will like to explain Eeloo in the next chapter.  I'm trying for tomorrow, but more likely Saturday.

5 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I know right? Those people just show up when you say something they don't li-

*screams of agony*

8 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Definitely a thick atmosphere on Tekto, but I'm not sure if it's oxygen or not.  That would be cool!

No oxygen, I'm sorry, but it won-

Mfff Mpph! Mmmmmmmmmmmmph!

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Anyway, if I use the excuse in the plot of floating rock wormholes, it eliminates the problem of stuff showing up somewhere like Hale or Ovok or Plock almost instantly.

Maybe you can make your ships out of thompberrycan-material to survive it, but you could try to stimulate the rocks like he did when coming from Jool to Ike :D

On 6/14/2016 at 4:52 PM, Just Jim said:

This person bought me a Eucl3d model of it!!!  OMG!!!!!!   :0.0:

Wow!  That's schweeeeetttt!

I have so got to finally build something that's not butt-ugly and do this :)

On 6/16/2016 at 9:35 AM, Just Jim said:

But once I saw this view, my mind was pretty much made up.  :wink:

That's pretty much exactly what did it for me, too.

On 6/16/2016 at 9:35 AM, Just Jim said:

But I also have a sort of cute way to explain them in the next chapter as well.  

You will be pleasantly surprised to notice that MJ, KER, HyperEdit, and such, are Kopernicus-friendly so work just fine for the OPM planets.  Can't wait to see what you do with them.

So, these kraken hallucinations may be revealing the secret plans of the kraken? One by one, kerbals are realizing what true danger their planet is in? :0.0: Is this message sent by some other force, long gone, to reveal the true plan of the kraken? Or is it sent by the kraken as a precursor to the destruction soon to be caused?

Do the floating rocks have some relation to the kraken?

Could the myth of the kerbals being in a simulation be true after all?

Soon to be found out in the tales of emiko Kerman?

Chapter 54
Emiko's Tale - Part 1

***    A quick note.  There is something I would like to explain about this backstory, but I can't write it into the story itself without breaking the 4th wall, so to speak. 
It can be argued that much of our modern human technology made it's greatest advancements during times of war.  But my kerbals are non-militaristic, and so this is my interpretation of how their technology might have evolved slightly differently from ours.

Also: Because Thompberry won't always be the one narrating these backstories, and to make it easier on myself, I won't be including his customary gurgles and blurps during the backstory chapters.   ***

35 years before KASA was founded, on the same site, stood the Kerban Rocketry, Astronomy, and Space Hobbyists, or KRASH club for short, founded by the prestigious Dr. Yamane Kerman.

KisIZog.png

This clubs main goal was to explore the possibilities of kerban's achieving flight, despite popular sentiment that while theoretically possible, flying was useless and dangerous, and a crackpot hobby at best. Still, there were those that showed more than a passing interest in KRASH, and today just such a kerban was visiting, the esteemed Rokea Kerman, founder and CEO of Rokea Ladders, and a kerban of great influence.

l1cEEPa.png

k7YSmE6.png

"My friend," Rokea sighed as he looked up at the tattered flagpole, "When are you going to get that fixed?"

"Oh, eventually," Yamane smiled, climbing into his small shuttle rover, "Shall we?"

6f38u3Q.png

zMeIZcp.png

Driving out to the dirt runway, Rokea smiled, but said nothing. Dr. Yamane had promised to impress him this evening, and he held back his reservations... for now.

gdGvzTM.png

But once they reached the old runway, Rokea gasped at the strange contraption he saw sitting there.

qRX7QSR.png

XzdYCEB.png

"Wait... that's a flying machine... and someone... someone is sitting on it? Surely you can't be serious!"

"Oh, most serious," Yamane replied with a smile. "And his name isn't Shirley. That is the youngest member of our team, Werhner."

VtaJnG7.png

Before either of them could say another word, Werner hit the ignition switch, and felt his "Aeroship" lurch forward, then gently lift off the ground!

9c4fhBu.png

9JrxID8.png

h20b4KW.png

Gracefully the Aeroship lifted higher and higher, but then Werhner's grin turned to a serious frown as he realized he was going to overshoot the runway!

w9N6yy6.png

4v504oz.png

0xgSXME.png

Doing his best to maintain control, Werhner tried to coax the Aeroship south to avoid the water, but was only partially successful, and hit the ground at an angle.

80d3N8u.png

bbKm4fs.png

Pushing the little shuttle as fast as it could go, Yamane and Rokea raced to the spot of the crash, only to find Werhner standing there, giggling.

xzSW6Jq.png

eW5HF4e.png

tRGRUiU.png

"Professor... did you see that?" Werhner laughed, "Had to be over 2 klicks! Definitely a new record!!"

"Impressive," Rokea smiled, "Is that what you wanted to show me?"

"Actually, there's more," Yamane smiled back. Let us proceed to the bunker."

nrHEfRN.png

SE9AWgY.png

RHC2P8L.png

Once inside the safety of the bunker, Rokea looked out to see young Werhner once again, only this time he was out on the launch pad sitting atop what looked like a chair... a chair with rockets attached to it!

vyuZJ76.png

xKUmk08.png

"Nooo..." was all Rokea was able to whisper before the roar of engines drowned out his voice, and Werhner lifted off the ground for the second time in one day!

nUdjU01.png

Gq8J4mX.png

As the rocket chair lifted higher and higher, Werhner leaned his weight backwards, causing the rocketchair to arch backwards and head over the KRASH site. 

HAeUWOv.png

Once the rocketchair ran out of fuel, Werhner looked over his shoulder and waited until just the right moment to pull his parachute rip cord.

jJgSUxo.png

aJyvY5v.png

And with a loud laugh, Werhner landed his rocketchair onto the roof of Krash's rocket assembly building.

dptiePK.png

vZDxqvh.png

"Wow..." Rokea said, looking over at Dr. Yamane, "I am impressed, indeed, my friend."

"But wait, there's one more thing you have to see." There was a definite note of excitement in Yamane's voice now, and Rokea was curious how anything could top young Werhner's performance. Climbing back into the shuttle, the two headed towards the KRASH observatory, where lights were blazing, and shouts of excitement could be heard.

"Is it a party?" Rokea asked.

"I certainly hope so, my friend." Yamane answered cryptically. "I certainly hope so."

xoMU8oU.png

Pulling up to the front door, Yamane and Rokea were greeted by Yamane's daughter, Emiko, who was grinning from ear to ear.

"Father..." Emiko choked, "Father... Eeloo..... we... we were right!!!! We... we did it!"

pg7oyD8.png

"What have you done?" Rokea asked as he climbed out of the shuttle and walked up to the excited Emiko. "What is this about Eeloo?"

ckDkuyx.png

"Sir," Emiko said, trying her best to contain herself, "As of 3 minutes ago, Eeloo is... is no longer a planet!  And my translations... they were right!!!"

"What?" Rokea gasped, "How is that possible? And what translations? Speak plainly, lass, so an old man can understand."

F039RtN.png

"Sir, last year I uncovered some fascinating Kergyption relics in the deep desert. And some of the hieroglyphs I was able to translate, they predicted that on this night, when the planets were in just the right position, Sarnus would capture Eeloo. And sir... these hieroglyphs are thousands of years old, but their predictions were only off by 47 seconds!"

FMnULTu.png

43fF3ko.png

For several seconds Rokea just stood dumbfounded, until a voice came from the doorway. "Excuse me, ma'am?  They're all waiting... the celebration is about to begin"

ezJ649i.png

We'll be right there," Emiko smiled back. "Father, Mr. Rokea, sir, please, come join us. We have so much to celebrate."

"Of course, my daughter," Yamane said with a smile, "This is your night. And my daughter, I could not be prouder."

"Yes," Rokea added, "Let's join your celebration. And tomorrow, young lady, I want you to make a list of everything you need to mount an expedition back to these ruins of yours... which is what I expect your father has been hesitating to ask for... am I right, Yamane?"

"You know me too well, old friend," Yamane laughed. And with that the three of them turned and headed into the observatory to celebrate Emiko's first great achievement.

A2Tgdyp.png

The Tale of Emiko Kerman will continue.....

Go to Chapter 55
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

Just Jim! I have a major problem! I can't press the like button fast enough!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! 

I can't believe that way back then Werhner was basically Jeb! Riding on SRB planes and stuff! You might want to go thank the kraken of somebody for making Eeloo a not planet. Maybe thank the guys who predicted it. I know! I will go dump a big cruiser in front of the big statue in the desert! 

19 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Wait... Sarnus and the OPM planets were in the Saga all along???

Well..... lets just say for the sake of argument, and because I don't have a better excuse, that I never really said they weren't...  :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Just Jim! I have a major problem! I can't press the like button fast enough!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! 

I can't believe that way back then Werhner was basically Jeb! Riding on SRB planes and stuff! You might want to go thank the kraken of somebody for making Eeloo a not planet. Maybe thank the guys who predicted it. I know! I will go dump a big cruiser in front of the big statue in the desert! 

Yeah, I thought it might be fun to make Werhner the Jeb of the last generation.... plus I needed something completely different from @Kuzzter's version of him. 
:wink: 

38 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Smol emiko gif tear to my eye.

*Determination.

;.;  lol

Edited by Just Jim

51 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Damn, why are the chapters so SHORT???? We're always waiting for days and days just to read on for a couple of minutes, ther must be a way to improve the "wait-to-read" ratio!

Really?  Too short???  Granted, this one is a little shorter than the last few, but I was thinking they've gotten almost too long. 
But if other readers agree, then yeah, I can make the chapters, and the text, longer.  That's easy, I'm good at babbling... lol.  :D

Also, one big reason this chapter took a little longer is I'm doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes.  I can't say any more at this point.

Edited by Just Jim

11 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Damn, why are the capters so SHORT???? We're always waiting for days and days just to read on for a couple of minutes, ther must be a way to improve the "wait-to-read" ratio!

I'm reading this as enthusiasm rather than grumbling :) , but even so - nope, there isn't. 

As a comparison point, the chapters in my own story tend to be around 4-5K words with no pictures. According to the program that I'm writing them on, they normally take about 10-12 minutes each to read. If I'm really on a roll and have a couple of quiet weekends in a row to spend writing, I can knock out a chapter in about two weeks. The maths isn't difficult. :)

Or think about professional writers. It takes them months to years to write a book which takes hours to days to read. 

Jim's work isn't always particularly text-heavy but those craft don't build themselves and those screenshots don't compose themselves. I figure the exact format of a story doesn't make a lot of difference.

Writing just takes time. No real way around that, especially when you're doing it in your spare time.

16 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Yeah, I thought it might be fun to make Werhner the Jeb of the last generation.... plus I needed something completely different from @Kuzzter's version of him. 

I love it! Wernher the young and reckless! I sort of made Gene my protoJeb. :) And hey, it's not like I can fully claim that version of Wernher as my own, I see it as more or less the "stock" WvK because of the natural von Braun parallel. 

13 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Really?  Too short???  Granted, this one is a little shorter than the last few, but I was thinking they've gotten almost too long. 
But if other readers agree, then yeah, I can make the chapters, and the text, longer.  That's easy, I'm good at babbling... lol.  :D

Jim I wouldn't make them any longer. People are always going to be hungry for moar, but putting that many images in one post is going to make load times long on every page and require hella lotta scrolling. As you know my choice is to make updates of only a few pages at a time, thus taking several updates to do one chapter. There's no one right answer of course, but I don't think going longer is a good one :) 

8 hours ago, KSK said:

I'm reading this as enthusiasm rather than grumbling :) , but even so - nope, there isn't. 

As a comparison point, the chapters in my own story tend to be around 4-5K words with no pictures. According to the program that I'm writing them on, they normally take about 10-12 minutes each to read. If I'm really on a roll and have a couple of quiet weekends in a row to spend writing, I can knock out a chapter in about two weeks. The maths isn't difficult. :)

Or think about professional writers. It takes them months to years to write a book which takes hours to days to read. 

Jim's work isn't always particularly text-heavy but those craft don't build themselves and those screenshots don't compose themselves. I figure the exact format of a story doesn't make a lot of difference.

Writing just takes time. No real way around that, especially when you're doing it in your spare time.

Well said!   You're right, the longest part of this is doing new ships and setting up screenshots.  I don't just load a game and start hitting F12 randomly.  I sometimes spend hours setting up lighting and smoke effects, and then use F5 and F9 over and over until I get just the right shot. 

And these new screenshots all have to be Photoshopped to get the antique effect.  There's a couple more hours.

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

I love it! Wernher the young and reckless! I sort of made Gene my protoJeb. :) And hey, it's not like I can fully claim that version of Wernher as my own, I see it as more or less the "stock" WvK because of the natural von Braun parallel. 

Well, like I said in the note at the beginning of the chapter, my version of Werhner has no Peenemunde background, so to speak. 
So I came up with this one instead.  My Werhner is based on stuff like this:

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Jim I wouldn't make them any longer. People are always going to be hungry for moar, but putting that many images in one post is going to make load times long on every page and require hella lotta scrolling. As you know my choice is to make updates of only a few pages at a time, thus taking several updates to do one chapter. There's no one right answer of course, but I don't think going longer is a good one :) 

That is a really good point I hadn't considered!  I've got this new computer, and it can load up a lot of high-end pics fast.  But I know from reading the tech support threads that a lot of people on here have older computers than the one I got rid of.  So I need to consider this like I still had my old computer, or worse.

Edited by Just Jim

Woooooo!  Wernher started as a guineapig test pilot!  and I KNEW you would like OPM enough to do this.  I like Wernher's Aeroship, what's the range on that thing?  Oh, and there's sooooo much to see...first Kerbal in space for one....and how did Jeb come into the picture...and onandonandon...I love this Jim keep going!

Another great chapter and (I'm definitely not the first to say this) quite entertaining seeing Wherner as the "Proto Jeb", also I don't know if anyone else thought of it but did the second creation make anyone think of the story of Wan Hu? Although I might add that he had a much better flight than Buster did.

Anyway, intriguing setup and more awaits I'm sure.

Edited by AkuAerospace
Removed "sign off"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.