I will TRY TO DO A 6000m\s JET SPEED RECORD !!!!

Do you think that i will do that ? :D  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that i will do that ? :D

• Yes ! Of course
    • No way man
    • You got a little chance
    • You got a Big chance !

11 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Grenartia,

It's a nerdy "Star Wars" reference.

Apologies :D

-Slashy

SPOILER ALERT!

"Oh, this is the Falcon? This is the ship that made the Kessel Run in fourteen parsecs?"

"TWELVE! ::Fourteen...!::"

2 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:
1 hour ago, Grenartia said:

Kessel run?

I'm trying to figure out how do. Also, what's that front part? Doesn't look like the front of the inline cockpit, and its not big enough to be a precooler, and it doesn't have the right shape for an intake.

Pilot Assistant. Its a mod, but I didn't use it for this. Just got it, need to try out its full features.

Gojira,

Absolutely outstanding!!

And that's an actual *airplane* !! O_o

My hat is off to you!

-Slashy

It's a precooler, it's just clipped back into the cockpit so it doesn't stick out and look silly.

2 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Nah. Just me being stupid :D

Happy New Year

-Slashy

Thanks, you too. Although, some part of me wants to make the Kessel Run an actual thing here.

1 hour ago, Gojira1000 said:

It's a precooler, it's just clipped back into the cockpit so it doesn't stick out and look silly.

That explains it.

27 minutes ago, Gojira1000 said:

And because everything in my world requires a video:

Val's Mach 5.6 Vacation   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgjxSut7T_c

Like Val, I'm bombed. lolpun

The only thing I know that will allow you to reach 6000 m/s is Kerbal-on-ladder planes and MAYBE ion engines. In any case, you're far better off taking them outside the atmosphere where 6000 m/s is chickenfeed.

2 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

The only thing I know that will allow you to reach 6000 m/s is Kerbal-on-ladder planes and MAYBE ion engines. In any case, you're far better off taking them outside the atmosphere where 6000 m/s is chickenfeed.

Actually, I'm pretty sure 6km/s is still nothing to shake a stick at.

Also, I just checked the heat tolerance for the precooler. Apparently, its rated for 2000K. While the canards and nosecone I used are rated for 2400K. And the landing gear I used is rated for 2900K. I flew a similar flight profile to Gojira. And yet, the precooler didn't even get hot, and I lost the three aforementioned parts to explosive overheating. I think we have an exploit on our hands.

On 2016-01-01 at 9:07 PM, Grenartia said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure 6km/s is still nothing to shake a stick at.

Also, I just checked the heat tolerance for the precooler. Apparently, its rated for 2000K. While the canards and nosecone I used are rated for 2400K. And the landing gear I used is rated for 2900K. I flew a similar flight profile to Gojira. And yet, the precooler didn't even get hot, and I lost the three aforementioned parts to explosive overheating. I think we have an exploit on our hands.

Mine got hot, but I never blew one. Which makes me suspect they're buggy.

Additional edit: Though playing with it, there's a very very thin line combining speed, altitude and constantly-adjusted attitude of the plane that allows a precooler to survive at (and reach) 1690 m/s. So maybe they're OK? Someone smart figure this out, please. Thanks.

Edited by Gojira1000

2 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Welp... I just found out that a sustained flight at 1684 m/sec *will* eventually blow up a precooler. It takes a while.

Best,

-Slashy

Still 4316m/s short of the target. Keep pushing! :sticktongue:

Just reached 1653m/s with a Rapier powered plane (air-breathing mode only), and found out, after blowing up a nosecone at the front as well as a precooler, that the Inline cockpit handles heat pretty well at this height and speed. Tried to get under 19km to get more thrust... it did not go well: craft actually slowed down due to air resistance and cockpit eventually blew up.

I'll try to work on aerodynamics to gain a few m/s. But I think designing a missile instead of a plane would indeed be better.

MChv2oK.png

EDIT: just broke 1670m/s with a similar design, but this time launched vertically. Still under Gojira's record, so I'm definitely starting to think a simple design will get you further than a complex one (and using a 1t heavy cockpit also :sealed:). Either way, even if 1700m/s is beaten, we're not going to get much faster.

rtUJqnc.png

Edited by Gaarst

13 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Gaarst,

Gojira has the current official record of 1,690.1 m/sec, but yeah... If we ever do manage to break 1,700 I think that'll be the limit.

Best,

-Slashy

Thank you and apologies. It is now corrected.

On 1/2/2016 at 11:40 AM, GoSlash27 said:

Welp... I just found out that a sustained flight at 1684 m/sec *will* eventually blow up a precooler. It takes a while.

Best,

-Slashy

Still, it outlasts most other parts.

I wish there were actually temperature readouts in stock, instead of colored bars.

On 1/2/2016 at 0:56 PM, GoSlash27 said:

Gaarst,

Gojira has the current official record of 1,690.1 m/sec, but yeah... If we ever do manage to break 1,700 I think that'll be the limit.

Best,

-Slashy

Maybe its only breakable by getting into orbit, then dropping periapsis and lighting the jets?

On 1/2/2016 at 1:26 PM, GoSlash27 said:

Tex,

It's an intriguing notion. Aren't you going to give it a go?

Best,

-Slashy

Biggest problem I can see with that would be weight penalties.

On 2016-01-02 at 9:40 AM, GoSlash27 said:
On 2016-01-02 at 11:36 AM, GoSlash27 said:

SirSpeedyII_zpsrvzugfwy.jpg

We have a new official record! 1,693.6 m/sec.

Tex,

I tried the fairing. It 'sploded :(

Best,

-Slashy

Best,

-Slashy

Grats! Edging up on it - I suspect someone will manage the magic 1700 in level flight. You could get it dropping in on a suborbital arc, but that feels cheaty for something that's supposed to be an airplane, somehow. Besides which, I feel like if bits blow off I'm not doing it right, and dropping from an SO shot, I'd lose bits.

Gojira,

Agreed. There are "cheaty" ways to do this and the OP wasn't really specific on weeding out the loopholes, but my read of the spirit of this challenge is that it not use non- stock parts or rockets in any way, maintain it's flight in the atmosphere entirely, and not resort to debug menu or exploits such as drag- masking, phantom forces, etc.

The OP was not explicit on a lot of these points and I'm not dictating the terms to any other entrant... but these are the standards I'm holding myself to.

So in keeping with that, I won't be submitting any suborbital ballistic flights. I'll just get as much speed as I can in level flight and then try to squeeze out the last little bit of peak speed by minimizing my profile.

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.