I will TRY TO DO A 6000m\s JET SPEED RECORD !!!!

Do you think that i will do that ? :D  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that i will do that ? :D

• Yes ! Of course
    • No way man
    • You got a little chance
    • You got a Big chance !

I've only seen 10k once...

returning from Eeloo in .90 with a vertical reentry angle, max g forces were off the charts for a looong time (we calculated the peak in the 400g range)

almost ran out of atmosphere, opened the chute at 1200 m/s at around 800m

conclusion, that reentry sucked, getting that velocity in horizontal flight is not going to happen with air breathers, and 10k dv with a rocket seems close to theoretical maximums.(wow, lots of edits today, off by a zero, try 100k for the theoretical max (assuming ions))

probably not possible, even with rockets...unless you leave the atmosphere

edit, well, that was 10k m/s, but I see you are only after 6, slightly more possible

still incredibly hard, might I suggest a dres return?

Edited by jhousen
Missed a number

You could exit Eeloo and go into a retrograde Kerbol orbit and intercept Kerbin at the PE,  should not take more than a ~5k m/s dV exit burn from Eeloo (when Eeloo is at its AP).  You would then enter Kerbin SOI with over 20k m/s relative velocity.

Edited by Nefrums

On 4 February 2016 at 7:07 PM, Nefrums said:

You could exit Eeloo and go into a retrograde Kerbol orbit and intercept Kerbin at the PE,  should not take more than a ~5k m/s dV exit burn from Eeloo (when Eeloo is at its AP).  You would then enter Kerbin SOI with over 20k m/s relative velocity.

Anyone what incinerated rocket? :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

I can do 3000m/s stable flight air breathing engines give me a day

Also how do you post pics i am new to forums

No you don't.

Read back from the start of this thread, it's been proved pretty conclusively that all engine stop being effective way before that.

Hitting 3000m/s is not physically possible, unless you mod.

Current record is 1693.6m/s.

its possible i have reached 2000m/s+ in an SSTO while still in airbreathing mode before in 1.0.5

highest speed was 2600m/s but used rockets to get to that speed for the engines can get enough air to run at 55Km altitude,but solid air breathing mode was highter them 2000m/s

Edited by Ourworldalpha1
Adding more fix spelling

2 hours ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

its possible i have reached 2000m/s+ in an SSTO while still in airbreathing mode before in 1.0.5

highest speed was 2600m/s but used rockets to get to that speed for the engines can get enough air to run at 55Km altitude,but solid air breathing mode was highter them 2000m/s

As they say : pictures or it never happened.

I've been trying to build a hyper-efficient jet that can surpass 6000 s/m.

I can't quite manage it in stock physics: seems like static friction means you don't move at all, and then BANG you're moving faster than 6000 s/m.

@Ourworldalpha1: In 0.90 you could reach solar escape velocity with no jets at all, just control surfaces and the infiniglide physics. With jets, you could approach 2400 m/s.

Yeah with my SR-71 replica i could basically glide indefinitely in the far upper atmosphere at about orbital velocity about 2150m/s makes a perfect BD armory Quick strike bomber. that can be reloaded by spacecraft that dock to it . the window is small to dock and save the spacecraft 

Edited by Ourworldalpha1
In 0.90 of course

Only way I think it could be possible would be if you example make a flyby of duna or other planet far away, and then crash though the atmosphere of kerbin and then turn on your aircraft engines...

good luck surviving the reentry... But technical speaking if you survive you could reach 6000ms. that way i think.

23 hours ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

i know but can you tell me how to post pics then 

Sorry man i did 2000+ in 0.90 not 1.0.5

so back to 0.90 for rebuild and pics 

does 0.90 builds count for the record attempt

No,  0.90 does not count.

Between 0.90 and 1.05, the aeorodynamic model changed, the jet engines changed, the air-intakes parts changed and the way all those interact together changed as well.

Comparing speed between 0.90 and 1.05 is like comparing speed in two totally different games.

14 minutes ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

how about can someone guide me to a Fastest speed on runway challenge if there is one 

Google is your friend:

Welcome to the forum.

Next time do your own homework. ^_^

Edited by Triop

On 30.12.2015 at 5:50 PM, Pseudon said:

You'll fry your poor kerbs! At those speeds, the atmosphere should act like a brick wall. So burnt, squashed and generally unhappy kerbonauts would be the outcome.

Rip kerbals

Fact is, you would burn to death long before reaching 6000m/s. I built a craft that pulled off a velocity of just over 1500m/s at an altitude of roughly 20-23 km altitude (20,000m-23,000m). At that point in the flight, both the nose cone and wings had already exploded from over heat, and everything else threatened to explode as well.

Well, now that we know the theoretical limit of ~1751 m/s, the only thing we can do is get as close as possible to that number. Of course, that will mean taking advantage of certain exploits. Here is what I've thought about:

• Not using wings
  • Inverting frontal nosecone to minimize drag
  • Using as few control surfaces as possible (ideally just one)
  • Placing an Elevon 4 on the tip of the craft for thermal protection
  • Placing Shock cone intakes at the back of the Rapiers > turning them 180 degrees > clipping them inside the rapiers. This way the free nodes won't add drag.
  • Maximizing the number of Rapiers used
  • Jettisoning landing gear to reduce drag
  • Carrying as little fuel as possible

By doing this I managed to get 1748.2 m/s, but it might be possible to get a bit more.

KHx84Udl.png

WjoUNB2.png?2

52 minutes ago, Alarik said:

Well, now that we know the theoretical limit of ~1751 m/s, the only thing we can do is get as close as possible to that number. Of course, that will mean taking advantage of certain exploits. Here is what I've thought about:

• Not using wings
  • Inverting frontal nosecone to minimize drag
  • Using as few control surfaces as possible (ideally just one)
  • Placing an Elevon 4 on the tip of the craft for thermal protection
  • Placing Shock cone intakes at the back of the Rapiers > turning them 180 degrees > clipping them inside the rapiers. This way the free nodes won't add drag.
  • Maximizing the number of Rapiers used
  • Jettisoning landing gear to reduce drag
  • Carrying as little fuel as possible

By doing this I managed to get 1748.2 m/s, but it might be possible to get a bit more.

KHx84Udl.png

WjoUNB2.png?2

Wouldn't the decouplers that are left over produce drag anyway?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.