KSP Mac OS X 64 bit

Alpha188

DISCLAIMER: I did not came up with this method. I found it on Reddit (see this topic). I just want to share it here. Thanks to Reddit user sq10 for sharing.

So, you are playing on Mac OS X and you can't use many mods because there's no OpenGL trick and the game crashes around 2,7 GB of RAM usage? You have to turn down your texture resolution? That's the fix for you!

Original post from user q10 on Reddit:

MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR CURRENT INSTALL OF KSP FIRST!

First, get the Mac version of Unity 4.6.4, download it from https://unity3d.com/

After downloading and installing it, right click the Unity app and 'Show Package Contents' - the first file you will need to get is in Contents/Playback Engines/MacStandaloneSupport/Variations/macosx64_nondevelopment_mono, click 'Show Package Contents' again and go to Contents/MacOS. Copy 'UnityPlayer' from the UnityPlayer app and go to Contents/MacOS/ in the KSP app, remove the 'KSP' file inside the folder and copy the file you copied from the UnityPlayer application and rename it to 'KSP'.

Then, go back to Contents/ in the KSP app and go to the 'Frameworks' folder and delete 'MonoEmbedRuntime', replacing it by the 'MonoEmbedRuntime' from Contents/Frameworks in the UnityPlayer application.

Next, go to Contents/Data/Managed in the UnityPlayer application and copy UnityEngine.dll to Contents/Data/Managed in the KSP application, replacing the previous dll. 

Finally, go to Contents/Data/Managed/etc/ in the KSP app and delete the mono folder, and copy the mono folder from /Contents/Data/Managed/etc/ in the UnityPlayer application to /Contents/Data/Managed/etc/ in the KSP application.

I hope the instructions weren't too unclear and please let me know if I did something wrong somewhere! With this 64 bit modification, I am able to run EVE and Astronomer's Visual Pack with no problem and 64 bit vanilla KSP just feels much smoother. Also from my personal observation, FAR, DRE and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement seem to work fine and I do no get any error messages for using a 64 bit version of KSP. Thanks for reading!

Keep launching those rockets!

~sq10

And the best think is that it works! I've tried it with around 60 mods installed on KSP 1.0.5 and with loaded 700+ parts vessel. This is the result. Played for about 1hr and no crashes.
As the forum user said, I used Unity 4.6.4 and not other 4.6.x version. Nothing more to say.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Edited by Alpha188

This is a very interesting suggestion, though I'm reluctant to try it until a few other folks relate positive results. I tried and failed to install Mono to get CKAN working on my Mac which probably shows my ineptitude more than anything else.  Also, I always assumed that KSP used OpenGL on Macs by default -- am I wrong about that?  Thanks, Alpha, for blazing new trails for those of us using Macs to run KSP.

15 hours ago, MachTurtle said:

This is a very interesting suggestion, though I'm reluctant to try it until a few other folks relate positive results. I tried and failed to install Mono to get CKAN working on my Mac which probably shows my ineptitude more than anything else.  Also, I always assumed that KSP used OpenGL on Macs by default -- am I wrong about that?  Thanks, Alpha, for blazing new trails for those of us using Macs to run KSP.

Yes KSP use OpenGL by default on Mac, so you can't force it to reduce the memory usage. Yesterday I played for like 5 hours and it was pretty smooth, no crashes, up to 5 GB of memory used.

Also if you are using CKAN I'm not sure it will work because I manually install mods, but I assume it will.

I just implemented this.  Seems to work fine. At least KSP shows up as 64bit in activity monitor.  I think my frame rate has increased slightly, but that is impression only.

So until 1.1 comes, I will now run 64bit OS X Unity.

Thanks for this!

EDIT: 23 hours later and it's running fab!  Thinking of finally trying eve, and other visual enhancements.  I feel like I've been liberated from a memory prison.

Edited by Wallygator
Update

19 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Cool, but isn't 64 bit coming in 1.1 anyway?

As far as I know, they said that "Unity 5 will allow to make a 64 bit version", but they aren't doing it for 1.1. They will for sure, but not in 1.1 in my opinion.

Moved this how-to over to Tutorials, same place the similar thread for Windows lives. :) 

49 minutes ago, Alpha188 said:

As far as I know, they said that "Unity 5 will allow to make a 64 bit version", but they aren't doing it for 1.1. They will for sure, but not in 1.1 in my opinion.

Last I heard they were hopeful for 64-bit on all platforms in 1.1, though that hasn't been positively confirmed yet.

After reading about several positive experiences with this workaround, I decided to try it. I hit a snag, though. When I reach the step below, I don't see the "KSP" file in Contents/MacOS/. Instead, I see GOGLauncher, a 29KB Unix executable.  At this point, should I replace this file or rather replace the Contents/Resources/game/KSP.app? Please excuse my ignorance about the workings of the various files.  I appreciate any guidance you folks can offer.  (I did backup my KSP!)

On 1/10/2016 at 10:18 AM, Alpha188 said:

Copy 'UnityPlayer' from the UnityPlayer app and go to Contents/MacOS/ in the KSP app, remove the 'KSP' file inside the folder and copy the file you copied from the UnityPlayer application and rename it to 'KSP'.

Moved this how-to over to Tutorials, same place the similar thread for Windows lives. :)

Thanks, I wasn't sure where to open the thread.

After reading about several positive experiences with this workaround, I decided to try it. I hit a snag, though. When I reach the step below, I don't see the "KSP" file in Contents/MacOS/. Instead, I see GOGLauncher, a 29KB Unix executable.  At this point, should I replace this file or rather replace the Contents/Resources/game/KSP.app? Please excuse my ignorance about the workings of the various files.  I appreciate any guidance you folks can offer.  (I did backup my KSP!)

Mh. I bought KSP on steam so I don't know what to do if you bought it from GOG.
I don't have any KSP.app in Contents/Resources/game/. Actually I don't even have the "game" folder. You right clicked on the KSP app > show package contents, right? That's copy of KSP you can mess up with, so I'd suggest you to put the file from Unity to the destination folder, even if you aren't replacing but just adding the file to the MacOS folder.

P.S: if it's a new copy of KSP maybe you should open it at least once and then some files will appear in the folders?

Edited by Alpha188

3 hours ago, MachTurtle said:

Well, since you backed everything up I suggest you just try it. Assuming this file you speak of is the GOG analogue for the KSP file mentioned.  Let us know the results of your experiment.

Just as you suggested, WallyGator, I started poking around in the file structure. It seems that, in the GOG version of KSP, the there's a extra layer of packaging that encloses the more common KSP file structure. Once I drilled deep enough to find and show the contents there, I was able to follow the instructions per the original post.  And... it works!  At least in the half hour I had to fool around with it, there were no crashes and it seemed noticeably more responsive.  I had limited myself to about ten or fewer mods in recent months but now I may go crazy with them.  I'll post again once I'm able to work with this setup for a couple of hours. Thanks to all for the help!

23 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Moved this how-to over to Tutorials, same place the similar thread for Windows lives. :) 

Last I heard they were hopeful for 64-bit on all platforms in 1.1, though that hasn't been positively confirmed yet.

DevNotes mentioned that they're ready to start testing 1.1 64-bit for Mac!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129815-devnote-tuesday-where-did-we-leave-the-bugspray/

42 minutes ago, Kuansenhama said:

Seems like people are getting good results with this. Gonna give it a go.

:(

c0hSPKr.jpg

WAAAHHTTT???

Why are you getting a PowerPC warning??

Okay, just did this to my stripped down copy of KSP (I use it for BDArmory tournament / plane building) and it seems to be working well. It did take a bit longer to load at first, but after the "SQUAD" logo came up, it loaded fine (maybe a touch quicker). Gameplay is a bit smoother and less framerate stutter, so I call this a good workaround.

I'm going to try this on my FAT KSP copy (the one with a gazillion mods and my really cool stuff) and I'll let everybody know.

EDIT- 2nd time, 2nd success!

Edited by GDJ

17 minutes ago, Kuansenhama said:

I looked it up online. It might be because I'm in El Captain and it sucks. Does anyone know how I can change back to Mountian Lion?

I'm not sure about that. I'm running El Capitan on my old iMac 8,1 and I don't see this.

As for going back to Mountain Lion, you can probably get a download from the App store. That's where I found it (and made a DVD backup. I'm pretty old school when it comes to data. I don't trust 3rd. party servers).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.