RIP Bowie

monstah

Or the full song, but much older version of KSP:

I once worked with a guy who would go on endlessly about Bowie. He'd been to concerts on virtually every tour Bowie had ever done. It took me a while to get back to liking Bowie after that experience, but there was never any denying how incredibly creative and influential he was - even when it flopped.

So yes, RIP Bowie. Refuser of conventions, refuser of knighthoods, creator of genius.

Edited by Plusck

I was just a kid... not sure exactly how old I was, when my cousin Leslie gave me ChangesOneBowie.  I heard Major Tom once, and was an instant and lifelong fan... and the more I delved into his work, the more hooked I became.  Songs like Andy Warhol and Life On Mars..... and the immortal Lady Stardust.  My cat Stardust is named for that song. Not to mention his film work..... wow.
I can't begin to list how many ways David has influenced me.  He will be sorely missed, but his legacy will carry on. 
Ziggy Stardust was just on a couple days ago, I recorded it.... and I seriously believe 300-400 years from now, somewhere on a lonely asteroid mining colony, someone will be playing a copy of that same Ziggy Stardust on their helmet speakers, maybe have a little HUD of the movie on their visor they can watch while they work.
R.I.P David.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

and I seriously believe 300-400 years from now, somewhere on a lonely asteroid mining colony, someone will be playing a copy of that same Ziggy Stardust on their helmet speakers, maybe have a little HUD of the movie on their visor they can watch while they work.

Sure thing! We have our centuries-old literature and music classics till this day, we'll someday have centuries-old literature, music and film classics, and he's now among them.

38 minutes ago, ndiver said:

Is there in KSP any easter egg linked to Major Tom?

Eh, I was making a savefile with kerbals named "Major Tom", "Aladdin Sane", etc, to see what classes they'd be. Appearently I missed the devnotes/readme where they put classes as a parameter in the .sfs file... 

1. We need an easter egg with rescue contract with a pod in deep space, with a kerbal named Tom in it.

2. At least Bowie wasn't 27... That sucks, he wouldn't be able to hang out with Alexandre Levy, Louis Chauvin, Robert Johnson, Nat Jaffe, Jesse Belvin, Rudy Lewis, Joe Henderson, Malcolm Hale, Dickie Pride, Brian Jones, Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Arlester "Dyke" Christian, Jim Morrison, Linda Jones, Leslie Harvey, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, Roger Lee Durham, Wallace Yohn, Dave Alexander, Pete Ham, Gary Thain, Cecilia, Helmut Köllen, Chris Bell, Jacob Miller, D. Boon, Alexander Bashlachev, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Pete de Freitas, Dimitar Voev, Mia Zapata, Kristenfaff, Richey Edwards, Fat Pat, Freaky Tah, Kami, Rodrigo Bueno, Sean Patrick McCabe, Maria Serrano Serrano, Jeremy Michael Ward, Bryan Ottoson, Valentín Elizalde, Amy Winehouse, Richard Turner, Nicole Bogner, Soroush "Looloosh" Farazmand, and Slađa Guduraš.

Oh, and there's this guy named Kurt. You may see he keeps holding that shotgun. We don't talk about him.

Edited by 073198681

I just cannot believe it: it is the first time a celebrity death hurts me like that. Bowie, I mean Ziggy, Aladdin,...

When I think of songs like Hello Spaceboy, my heart race. The good thing is, a lot of people are gonna listen to him tonight.

Thanks man, just thank you so very much for doing music.

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Another icon from my youth passes away. Man, getting old sucks...

Rest in piece, David Bowie, and thank you for the memories, the songs, your character on film, and the impact you had on a generation.

Word.

I'm spinning Bowie on my Turntable and Open Reel Deck today. 

Bowie was one of those incredibly rare musicians who pretty much had something to offer no matter the musical leanings of the listener.

I liked most of his back-catalogue, but it was Outside, and Earthling that really grabbed me.

Bowie at the Beeb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY54qW7SK8Y

Edited by pxi

10 minutes ago, pxi said:

I liked most of his back-catalogue, but it was Outside, and Earthling that really grabbed me.

For me it was "Lets Dance", but I'm probably considerably older than most of the KSP users here.

"Earthling" gets played quite a bit.

And I'm buying his last album "BlackStar". I don't care if I have to spend $50 on a vinyl copy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.