Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

2 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Send it to me. If it's done soon, we might be able to use it in the next launch. If not, we'll design a program for its launch profile and send it up later with a small payload.

It will be done tomorrow. To clear confusion, by tomorrow I mean March 16th.

Also, all engines must be liquid fueled? What about first stage SRBs and ullage motors?

Edited by Sequinox

23 minutes ago, Sequinox said:

It will be done tomorrow. To clear confusion, by tomorrow I mean March 16th.

Ok, great! Let me know in the PM what mods it needs.

23 minutes ago, Sequinox said:

Also, all engines must be liquid fueled? What about first stage SRBs and ullage motors?

Ullage motors don't count. The problem I'm having right now with using SRBs is that sometimes one doesn't light, and then you have an uneven force, making the rocket go bye bye. With LF engines, if one doesn't light we can program in a "cut all engines" command, and then abort away without worrying about aerodynamic forces too much.

Edited by Dman979

7 minutes ago, Snikersnee said:

Don't know if you need it but I have a stock low munar orbit lander. It's apollo-like as well.

slXOzyw.png?1

I've only tested it like twice, but it works well (if you can dock).

Sadly we cannot use this, since we require vehicles which work in RSS/RO.

I'll upload it to kerbalX for ya.

EDIT: Here, it might need some tweaking, but overall is finished. If something explodes when the munar ascent module fires its engines, don't worry. It's just the useless decoupler.

Edited by Snikersnee

I need a mod list for the LV and capsule.  We're going to need to get them both finished/mated so we can get it rolled out onto the pad.

~Presenting~

The Herox II

An orbital launch vehicle developed by HC Orbital.

The Herox II will be painted orange when used in launches from now on. Herox II can carry well over 5t to LEO without issue. Alongside being a powerhouse, the Herox II is very dependable. You can trust this rocket for all of your launches. It also carries an optional upper stage engine for orbital corrections, which is included by default in the craft file.

Craft File

1 hour ago, Sequinox said:

~Presenting~

The Herox II

An orbital launch vehicle developed by HC Orbital.

The Herox II will be painted orange when used in launches from now on. Herox II can carry well over 5t to LEO without issue. Alongside being a powerhouse, the Herox II is very dependable. You can trust this rocket for all of your launches. It also carries an optional upper stage engine for orbital corrections, which is included by default in the craft file.

Craft File

This deserves a round of applause. I like it. I like it a lot.

33 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

That looks a lot better than my rockets. I think I'll be designing manned capsules and satellites, which I have ended up finding more fun.

Speaking of which, how is the capsule?

2 hours ago, bncrock said:

This deserves a round of applause. I like it. I like it a lot.

Wow, thank you so much man! :D I'm not really an RSS/RO expert, but this launch vehicle seemed to work well!

If you guys would like, I can look into making it reusable, but I don't think we're working with funds here.

Edit: If it isn't too much to ask, may my name be added to the LV development team now?

Edited by Sequinox

12 minutes ago, Sequinox said:

Wow, thank you so much man! :D I'm not really an RSS/RO expert, but this launch vehicle seemed to work well!

If you guys would like, I can look into making it reusable, but I don't think we're working with funds here.

Edit: If it isn't too much to ask, may my name be added to the LV development team now?

Consider it done.

Alright guys, /r/theydidthemath!

The Herox II can certainly lift a payload into a 180x180 inclined in orbit. But here's the question...
How much can it lift?

With some pretty rough testing courtesy of KER's TWR readouts and a dummy payload, I got a payload of 26.2t.

(snip)

Here lies what used to be math that I just couldn't believe. Using a formula I got something like 720t before the TWR gets to 1. This did not at all seem right, so I'm going to stick by about 26.2t to 180x180 @ 20o.

Edited by Sequinox

12 minutes ago, Sequinox said:

Alright guys, /r/theydidthemath!

The Herox II can certainly lift a payload into a 180x180 inclined in orbit. But here's the question...
How much can it lift?

With some pretty rough testing courtesy of KER's TWR readouts and a dummy payload, I got a payload of 26.2t.

(snip)

Here lies what used to be math that I just couldn't believe. Using a formula I got something like 720t before the TWR gets to 1. This did not at all seem right, so I'm going to stick by about 26.2t to 180x180 @ 20o.

I dunno, I really liked the /r/theydidthemonstermath.

Makes sense, but you shouldn't  discredit yourself because it seems wrong until you know it is actually wrong. Maybe it's time for you to test your results.

11 minutes ago, bncrock said:

I dunno, I really liked the /r/theydidthemonstermath.

Just wait until you see /r/itwasagraveyardgraph!

11 minutes ago, bncrock said:

Makes sense, but you shouldn't  discredit yourself because it seems wrong until you know it is actually wrong. Maybe it's time for you to test your results.

Yeah, I get that. I did use that number in the standard TWR formula and it checked out, but  I had my doubts, such as "Did that give me how much to lift to LEO, or what my rocket mass was", "Did I math incorrectly?", "What even is my grade in math right now?", "Did they really do the monster math?".

Edited by Sequinox

3 minutes ago, Sequinox said:

Just wait until you see /r/itwasagraveyardgraph!

Yeah, I get that. I did use that number in the standard TWR formula and it checked out, but  my I had my doubts, such as "Did that give me how much to lift to LEO, or what my rocket mass was", "Did I math incorrectly?", "What even is my grade in math right now?", "Did they really do the monster math?".

Well the last one gets into some deep ideoligical thoughts of what actually and doesn't exist that I won't get into because I'm positive the mods have me on a sort of "on topic" watchlist >.> 

I see your point. But at least your math is just tooting your own ship's horn. Mine can kill the kerbalnauts and turn the whole thread against me, which social anxiety impacts me greater than the loss of their lives.

But I'm just being silly. My margin of error is pretty big. I couldn't possibly mess up.

Right?

39 minutes ago, bncrock said:

But I'm just being silly. My margin of error is pretty big. I couldn't possibly mess up.

That's the spirit.

15 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Also, can you make something smaller?

How about the Herox I? That might do and will get about 1/3 of the how much the Herox II can get into orbit.

Edited by Sequinox

1 minute ago, Sequinox said:

How about the Herox I? That might do and will get about 1/3 of the how much the Herox II can get into orbit.

Even smaller, actually. We have about 3 tonnes of mass to get into orbit, and 8 tonne capacity is too much margin. Over-engineering, and all that.

1 minute ago, Dman979 said:

Even smaller, actually. We have about 3 tonnes of mass to get into orbit, and 8 tonne capacity is too much margin. Over-engineering, and all that.

Damn, alright. Time to get to work I suppose.

I'm thinking I could just remove the 2nd stage and keep the on board satellite propulsion system. Or I might just build something new from the ground up. Time to see what I can do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.