Spacecraft Fridays - The 'What should I even put here?' Edition

OeVBDOq.png

Spoiler

DISCLAIMER!

Who are you to decide this, I hear you asking, and here's the answer: No one. I am not official in any way, shape, or form. If you're unhappy with my decision, we can work something out. This is just my opinion, since there's no objective way to judge "Quality" of crafts.

If anyone feels that their craft is missed because of any kind of time-zone difference, or any kind of difference in when spacecraft fridays is put up, tell me.

If your craft is really good and was made before, and someone posts in it within that week, then it will be considered. Just to clarify, I am not encouraging necros for the sake of bumping your craft.

Hey, everyone! Sorry this is a bit late - I was planning to post this in the morning today (1/23) my time (which is late night for you people in the US and Europe), but life got in the way. Stupid life! >:( This Spacecraft Friday will NOT feature any modded crafts, to make it easier for myself to test all entries. Anyway, here are the top 5 crafts of the week, as dictated by yours truly! :)

In 5th place, we have...

Mining Platform by selfish_meme!

JLr4ge4.png

Now, why did I choose such a thing for 5th place...? Well, for one, it isn't just cosmetic - it actually works! (in shallow water, but still - game limitations). You can even dock boats and ships to it for added awesome! Congrats to selfish_meme for creating such a floating marvel!

In 4th place, we have...

Klermont by Bubbladevin!

AEx1V61.png

One of the only stock paddleboats (if not THE only), this mean machine sure impresses. All propulsion actually comes from the paddle wheels - none of that optical illusion stuff here! There's even a working smokestack for ALL the screenshots and ALL the in-water stability!

In 3th place, we have...

Wright Flyer by inigma!

cwD5OJj.png

ls any other explanation needed? This glider thing is a pretty good recreation of the real thing, minus the engines of course... Plus, it's so cute looking! Who wouldn't want to fly it? :)

In 2nd place, we have...

Z-51 Cobra by Giggleplex777!

PDZKeIr.png

This. Is. Amazing. Not only does it look awesome, but it has a hidden feature - It has a VTOL mode! Yep, you read that right - it has 1 engine only which swivels to a VTOL position, all with stock parts. Now THAT'S impressive.

Finally, in 1st place, we have...

Hurricane Launcher Family by Temstar!

98VO4sz.jpg

Usually, when you want to get something to LKO and beyond, you just toss it on an expendable lifter and throw away the money needed - but now, you can forget that and use this! This is a 1.5-stage to orbit masterpiece which is almost-fully reusable. It does take some skill to fly, but seriously - it takes skills to make practically everything reusable and flyable on its own.

And that's all for this SCF, see you next week for another compilation of awesome!

Edited by FCISuperGuy
Copy-pasting mistake

18 minutes ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Great selection but I do have one question. Wasn't that Z-50 Cobra posted a long time ago? :confused: That is of course someone revived the thread and updated the craft that void this meaningless question. I tried getting a craft up by today but nope too late ;).

I was thinking this also. It was posted an age ago, and does it still even work? It is cool though.

Good choices OP person. Well done to all chosen.

EDIT: Nope it is broken. Giggleplex is rebuilding it as we speak apparently. So we can post broken craft now? Or is the OP one of those testers who does not test. :(

Hang on @FCISuperGuy you said you tested every craft in the OP..

Edited by Majorjim

5 hours ago, Majorjim said:

I was thinking this also. It was posted an age ago, and does it still even work? It is cool though.

EDIT: Nope it is broken. Giggleplex is rebuilding it as we speak apparently. So we can post broken craft now? Or is the OP one of those testers who does not test. :(

I'll try to post the updated download today, if I have time. Still have to tweak some things but the new version works quite well.UJhX3dZ.png

EDIT: Updated the Z-50 to the Z-51.

Edited by Giggleplex777

Thanks for doing it, @FCISuperGuy

8 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Either way, it's been updated to a working version.

8 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Haha, I would have liked to have been watching when my Mining Rig hit the water, it tilts alarmingly before righting itself, the first few dozen attempts reminded me of that Monty Python bit "People said I was crazy to build a castle in the swamp, but I built it anyway and it sank into the swamp, so I built another, it caught fire, fell over and sank in the swamp, but the third one my boy"

3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

My point was that the op said he tested the craft which is clearly not the case. It's not a big deal. I like clarity. And honesty.

Okay, I'll admit that I didn't test the Z-50 due to lack of time. I apologize. I'll update the OP to the Z-51. I can assure you, however, that all other crafts were tested (I flew them beforehand).

Edited by FCISuperGuy

Woo thanks for the feature.

There are in fact now fully reusable versions of Hurricane Duo and Hurricane Trio now:

31504kk.jpg

KerbalX download numbers suggest people are divided between the convenience of 1.5 stage and slightly lower cost of fully reusable. Basically most of the saving is from recovering the rocket engines, recovering the engine-less external tank reduce the cost per ton only mildly, from $571 per ton to $411 per ton.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.