[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

23 minutes ago, redmonddkgamer said:

PATHFINDER. GIVE IT TO US. NOW. I can't find a pack with a good Pathfinder, and all the stock ones look ridiculous. None of them actually look like or work like Pathfinder. Also, someone please resurect the LionHead Aerospace rovers!

How polite...

12 minutes ago, redmonddkgamer said:

PATHFINDER. GIVE IT TO US. NOW. I can't find a pack with a good Pathfinder, and all the stock ones look ridiculous. None of them actually look like or work like Pathfinder. Also, someone please resurect the LionHead Aerospace rovers!

Pathfinder is a little bit down the road, but I'll see if I can do anything about it earlier. The heatshield and parachutes for Pathfinder/Viking/Mars-stuff are coming in Update 16 along with Cassini. My pathfinder also won't work exactly like the NASA mission because it will be tuned to use KSP mechanics. It may also be a little larger such as to fit a rover inside, as opposed to on the petals which cannot be done in stock (Needs a mod).

The Lionhead parts were being worked on I though? Anyway, those wheel modules would need updating to the new ones. Precisely this wheel physics thing is why my rovers will pretty much be the last parts I do. I'm holding our for the work Shadowmage has been doing to get all the kinks worked out :).

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

How polite...

No, it's spelled Hoplite

~cheers

1 hour ago, redmonddkgamer said:

I'm kidding, I'm just really excited to manage to get my hands on a working Pathfinder replica. It's such a cute little rover!

Oh, I was confused. I identify Pathfinder as the lander, and Sojourner as the rover. I'm actually not planning on doing Sojourner because it would be too small scaled to a kerbal. :/

Just now, akron said:

Oh, I was confused. I identify Pathfinder as the lander, and Sojourner as the rover. I'm actually not planning on doing Sojourner because it would be too small scaled to a kerbal. :/

Well, a stock Sojourner isn't hard. It's the Pathfinder petals...

5 hours ago, akron said:

I'm holding our for the work Shadowmage has been doing to get all the kinks worked out

Just so you know, I've been testing KSPWheel for Shadowmage and the kinks are definitely worked out.  That system is working fantastically and gives hands down the best wheels/tracks I've ever seen in KSP.

2 hours ago, rasta013 said:

Just so you know, I've been testing KSPWheel for Shadowmage and the kinks are definitely worked out.  That system is working fantastically and gives hands down the best wheels/tracks I've ever seen in KSP.

Do you happen to know how the module parts need to be configured? I have read through the forum a little and I just don't understand how to do it just yet. This is one of those things where I *may* be willing to try if I can get some help

4 minutes ago, redmonddkgamer said:

I don't know how to anything!

We've all been there at one point. If you are at all interested in any mod related work, learning will take time, so you just have to be patient. Pick one thing to learn and stick with it. Doing a lot of different things at first (3D, texturing, configs, coding) will be daunting and frustrating. If you get frustrated, you'll not want to proceed. There are threads where you can ask questions and people willing to help.

5 minutes ago, thunder175 said:

Sometimes its just the simple things in KSP that make it all worthwhile... My take on Coatl small form factor "TDRS" for RemoteTech launch support, parked in perfect 6.4x GKO.

Looks awesome! I'm glad to see that solar panel in use more despite its low clearance. That's a lot of batteries for a relay commsat :D 

45 minutes ago, akron said:

Looks awesome! I'm glad to see that solar panel in use more despite its low clearance. That's a lot of batteries for a relay commsat :D 

You know I've thought that for a long time. A few different mods, including AmpYear, are saying max darnkess at 6.4x Kerbin (3840km) at GKO is ~58 minutes. I've even ran this thru the SMAD worksheet. So I've always had to pack my comm birds with batteries to last me an hour. On the small size of the Barquetta they start to add up quick, even with small and efficient antenna assemblies. In my universe my Kerbin has a slight inclination but not enough to avoid the daily eclipse. So I just pack my comm birds with batteries. Looks odd but it gets the job done for continuous comms.

18 hours ago, akron said:

Do you happen to know how the module parts need to be configured? I have read through the forum a little and I just don't understand how to do it just yet. This is one of those things where I *may* be willing to try if I can get some help

Unfortunately, that's a part I haven't been involved in and tbf, Shadowmage's configs can be daunting.  That said, I've never seen him unwilling to give guidance for configuration and setup of new wheels in that thread.  Apparently it's not supposed to be very difficult but I've just never done it.  If you want to dig into it though and really don't have the time this is another area I'll help you out since I'm already working with KSPWheel and at least understand it's functionality at a game level.

EDIT: Besides, I've written dozens, probably hundreds, of configs for KSP in my time...how hard can it be? LMAO... :blush:

Edited by rasta013

21 hours ago, Bombaatu said:

@akron - Have you had a chance to look at why the magnetometer boom doesn't deploy properly now?

This should be fixed now. At least it is for me. Try it and let me know

12 hours ago, toric5 said:

the CA-LV10 liquid engine's thrust vector is misaligned with its attachment node, as documented here.

Is this using the latest Github build? I rebuilt that thrust assembly from scratch and did not see anything that could be causing that :( 

36 minutes ago, akron said:

Is this using the latest Github build? I rebuilt that thrust assembly from scratch and did not see anything that could be causing that :( 

nope. spacedock. ill try with the github build.

EDIT: still present in the github build. may want to take a look at it in your game.

Edited by toric5
update

1 hour ago, toric5 said:

nope. spacedock. ill try with the github build.

EDIT: still present in the github build. may want to take a look at it in your game.

Not sure what's going on there, the transform is perfectly centered

Z4j9VVW.png

5 minutes ago, toric5 said:

is the attachment node centered? is it just in my save?

I think it is centered:

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -.262, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.201, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

Would you be willing to go ahead and delete your "PartDatabase.cfg" in your KSP root folder and try again with a new craft? 

2 hours ago, akron said:

I think it is centered:

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -.262, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.201, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

Would you be willing to go ahead and delete your "PartDatabase.cfg" in your KSP root folder and try again with a new craft? 

sure thing. simpler craft this time.

1 hour ago, toric5 said:

sure thing. simpler craft this time.

TBH, the craft shouldn't make a difference. This has been difficult to troubleshoot either way. I'm sure its something very plain and easy and I'm just not seeing it.

Anyway. Horizon Zero Dawn came out this week (Great game) and I ended up playing too much. I got to work today and got those two parts finished and in-game:

f7rteNK.png

The colors are very neutral to fit with other stock parts. I tried a couple of other things but they were a bit saturated. 

W666nvi.png

The craft is very similar to what I use in my own career save

ONopCMX.png

SCANsat recognizes it and starts scanning, but I've yet to test that it all works properly. Should be up in Github soon-ish, I'll let you all know

~cheers

Edited by akron