Devnote Tuesday: Joe was censored!

SQUAD

8 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

Except this is not my current play style at all.  I never decline contracts I just take them as they are offered.  I very quickly have the contract building at lvl 3 and just complete the contracts.  But as KSP versions have moved forward the likelihood of me completely filling out the tech tree has diminished because I just keep getting mission to do the same thing over and over and over again  in biomes that I have already visited often more than once.  Ever since 1.0.2 I don't even bother to leave the Kerbin system.  I get burned out on the repeat contracts before I have the resources or tech to do so.

What might help here would be a shorter time for the offered contracts to stay available before they get removed/relaced.

A bit more self-initiative might help to get the system to generate more varied contracts, like sending a probe that took readings around one of the moons out of Kerbin's SOI and maybe even into a flyby or another planet, this would not require that much more technology (levels), if at all.

Also noone is stopping you from doing a bit more than requested to do, like taking more scientific readings and at different places than necessary for the contracts. (I concede I do not know what difficulty settings you are playing with and that this might be another limiting factor regarding technology/money.)

9 hours ago, Quiana said:

TMS, they've already confirmed that consoles actually have a REQUIREMENT for achievements.  They never wanted to put achievements in as they do also cause the exact opposite, causing a completionist to do them to get them done.  The best rewards sometimes in a game like this is not the game patting you on the back, but your own sensation of joy when you complete something you've struggled at or thought 'I can do that too.' when you see someone else's work.

I won't bother doing something I am sure I can do in Kerbal anymore unless there's a reason. Maybe it's not a good reason, but an "achievement" would do it for me. I like that I can quickly remember a bunch of stuff I did in a game when I've scanned the achievements. I've played so much KSP that it would please me to no end to fill out all those little icons representing a bunch of (hopefully) really hard to achieve stuff.

Edited by JohnF

On 2/3/2016 at 8:39 PM, Sanic said:

No poem?

:( 

Hey diddle-diddle, the rockets too little. Jeb only got to the mun. Bill Kerman laughed, about the chutes that weren't packed, jeb's return flight ended with "BOOM!".
 There ya go. :D

Edited by Talavar

2 hours ago, Wallygator said:

Can we please have speed control?  And perhaps surface attach onto wheels?

An entertaining and nice update though, thank you.

If you have a throttle, you can use it to control rover speed as well. Makes a whole world of difference, and means that I occasionally actually use rovers for missions.

12 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I am glad to see career getting more refined, it's a great mode with a lot of potential still. One request while improvements are being made- I recently had a career where I rescued 8 pilots, 3 engineers, and no scientists. Please take a look at this to improve the distribution a bit. :)

The rescue missions are the most weird and insane among all of contracts. How the hell a kerbal could get on orbit behind Mun at the time when the only kerbal space program is just making it's tentative steps out of low Kerbin's orbit? And what does it mean to have 80% of your kerbonauts originate from rescue missions, where do they come from? Are all the kerbals actually born in space among the stars? Well, that explains why Kerbin is still so empty and lifeless: there just wasn't a space program to bring them all down :) 

14 hours ago, Velve666 said:

less focus on elements/additions modders could implement, and more on the core code and API that they do not have access to. A performance increase is available with unity 5, we don't need more "insert vulgar word here with four letters". Gameplay is fun the "play" part is not up to par with the game.

IMHO, the developers should put more of their love on modders because they really help to maintain the game's popularity: exhaustive (and maintained) API documentation, more public functions (gosh, how many things could be done if there weren't "You may not use anything besides public functions"). Can't even suppose how much people would have forgotten the game to the moment if there weren't at least all of those well-known mods. And yes, performance. Guys just cannot do everything at once and in a short time. That's why I think that the next thing after memory limit that wouldn't allow us to use hundreds of mods at a time could be the performance limit. We just should be ready for that. Anyway, the first release with major upgrades just cannot be ideally perfect.

Edited by Ser

7 hours ago, Talavar said:

Hey diddle-diddle, the rockets too little. Jeb only got to the mun. Bill Kerman laughed, about the chutes that weren't packed, jeb's return flight ended with "BOOM!".
 There ya go. :D

That's a nursery rhyme :) 

21 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

Except this is not my current play style at all.  I never decline contracts I just take them as they are offered.  I very quickly have the contract building at lvl 3 and just complete the contracts.  But as KSP versions have moved forward the likelihood of me completely filling out the tech tree has diminished because I just keep getting mission to do the same thing over and over and over again  in biomes that I have already visited often more than once.  Ever since 1.0.2 I don't even bother to leave the Kerbin system.  I get burned out on the repeat contracts before I have the resources or tech to do so.

Well, but that's just like playing an RPG and only doing the side quest

15 hours ago, KerbMav said:

What might help here would be a shorter time for the offered contracts to stay available before they get removed/relaced.

A bit more self-initiative might help to get the system to generate more varied contracts, like sending a probe that took readings around one of the moons out of Kerbin's SOI and maybe even into a flyby or another planet, this would not require that much more technology (levels), if at all.

Also noone is stopping you from doing a bit more than requested to do, like taking more scientific readings and at different places than necessary for the contracts. (I concede I do not know what difficulty settings you are playing with and that this might be another limiting factor regarding technology/money.)

2 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Well, but that's just like playing an RPG and only doing the side quest

Actually from my point of view if career mode is designed correctly my play style should be the most common.  In no RPG I have ever played did I have to decline a quest to get good quests.  In fact KSP punishes you for declining quests which lowers your rep which means you get even worse quests than the ones you declined.  In most RPGs I have played ( I have played EQ, EQ2, WOW, Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Guild wars, HellGate, Oblivion and Skyrim to name just a few)  you can feel free to skip quests, but to need to decline them to get good ones, is not only counter intuitive in the case of KSP it is counter productive.    Sure I could do more, but why play career mode then?  I play sandbox nearly exclusively now.  I have played since version 0.15 so I am very familiar with the parts I don't need to unlock them to be challenged, but what I do want career mode to do is to push me to do new things that maybe I have not tried before and have not done in a long time, and properly reward me if I do.  So I would like things like "oh he as already collected science from that biome I won't offer any quests that take him to that biome for a while."  Instead it just gives the same old same old and with the new system it will emphasize doing the same old same old even more. The reaction to you ding a quest should not be to give you the exact same quest again but rather remove that quest time from the list for a while at least, and certainly not back to the same location with that quest type.  I want it to say "oh he was there already He probably does not want to go back again , at least not right now may be I should give him quest for some place new."

Edited by mcirish3

14 hours ago, Ser said:

The rescue missions are the most weird and insane among all of contracts. How the hell a kerbal could get on orbit behind Mun at the time when the only kerbal space program is just making it's tentative steps out of low Kerbin's orbit? And what does it mean to have 80% of your kerbonauts originate from rescue missions, where do they come from? Are all the kerbals actually born in space among the stars? Well, that explains why Kerbin is still so empty and lifeless: there just wasn't a space program to bring them all down :) 

I actually consider it training+hazing for the new recruits- the graysuits get locked up in a tiny capsule or stranded somewhere to test their mettle until they get picked up :) This is why you can't see their orbits in the tracking station until after you accept the contract, they haven't been shot into space yet!

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 1:46 AM, SQUAD said:

Changes to the steering system have been made as well: the limitations on steering that were necessary due to the way the old wheel system was set up have been removed, and if you steer too hard it’s very likely that you’ll end up over- or understeering. Combine that with the tweakable traction control and, well, you guys will probably come up with whole new ways to crash rovers.

Does this mean using digital controls (ie the keyboard) to drive a rover is going to start to become a lot more tricky?

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎03 at 1:09 AM, NoMrBond said:

This is one;

Nice interview... always fun to see the game "in the real world" haha.

Man that English lady in this video has such a beautiful accent.  :blush:

And +1 for speed control (Cruise control) for rovers... I would love that to death.

Edited by Francois424

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.