Kerbal Stuff Closed to the public

Rigel Agar

4 hours ago, cantab said:

Well...shoot.

Not good for the community, and ultimately not good for Squad either. We've already had Mediafire banned and any of the other one-click hosters could get subject to a similar ban any time. Nobody likes Curse. From a user's point of view, downloading mod releases off Github seems to be a nuisance usually.

If the mod uploader posts a link directly to the release version you're looking for, then all you have to do for GitHub is press a single button to download. The user has to go through more hassle, but a little less than CurseForge (you need to have a square image for your mod to be uploaded! :( )

Just now, Exclipse said:

It just feels weird to me I guess. I always felt like SQUAD was heavily community orientated. Even hiring members of the community to implement mods into the game.

So when I hear the took legal action on someone who was only doing the community a service... grinds me wrong.

According to your post they couldn't have taken any "legal action", so it was either a dispute around ads or a donation link or something similar, making money off the product.

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

1. Off topic. 

2. It's actually still up.

3. Not sure but you can probably get in trouble for even mentioning that name around here.

You missed the point of that post by rather a lot, I am afraid.

1 minute ago, Exclipse said:

So when I hear the took legal action on someone who was only doing the community a service... grinds me wrong.

As far as I'm aware, nobody took legal action against anybody. SirCmpwn was told not to pass himself off as official. If that amounts to legal action, then I'd hate to see what you'd make of a search or arrest warrant.

1 minute ago, GregroxMun said:

If the mod uploader posts a link directly to the release version you're looking for, then all you have to do for GitHub is press a single button to download. The user has to go through more hassle, but a little less than CurseForge (you need to have a square image for your mod to be uploaded! :( )

I'm going have to move my mod over to CuseForge then, my choices are limited.

Just now, Eskandare said:

I'm going have to move my mod over to CuseForge then, my choices are limited.

Github and Dropbox are decent alternatives, although Dropbox has some limitations RE: large files.

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Sarcasm doesn't carry over text.

My point was more so that you shouldn't mention illegal activities or places here lest you get this whole thread locked.

If it were to be locked, it just serves as an example of what parts of the policy are broken. But that is for another thread.

4 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

As far as I'm aware, nobody took legal action against anybody. SirCmpwn was told not to pass himself off as official. If that amounts to legal action, then I'd hate to see what you'd make of a search or arrest warrant.

Well in the site creator's post he says "Pursued me legally" So that could have been threats. It does not mean they actually went through with any of it though. And perhaps the site creator is full of BS.

Edited by Exclipse

4 minutes ago, Camacha said:

If it were to be locked, it just serves as an example of what parts of the policy are broken. But that is for another thread.

More likely we'll just delete the offending posts and/or wag an admonishing finger at the people suggesting such things.

4 minutes ago, TMS said:

In the time it takes for your new mod to be approved on CurseForge, you could probably resurrect KerbalStuff single-handedly.

So between 5 minutes and an hour?

I don't understand. When Apple take days to approve and make available a new app for their app store, people are largely in favour of this and say it's a step against crapware and viruses.

But if Curse do it, it's evil incarnate?

1 minute ago, technicalfool said:

So between 5 minutes and an hour?

I don't understand. When Apple take days to approve and make available a new app for their app store, people are largely in favour of this and say it's a step against crapware and viruses.

But if Curse do it, it's evil incarnate?

BECAUSE SQUAD HATES THE COMMUNITY

1 minute ago, Vurucore said:

Well, The Pirate Bay has gone down plenty of times and the owners have faced jail time.

The suggestion was that the threat of legal action would down a site. Even fervourous nuclear legal war is no guarantee a site goes down. It is simply a non sequitur.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.